ABW Ambassador
    Was just checking stats before i went to bed and what is Amazon doing? I logged in and under Your Websites its only showing 1 out of 3 i had in my account. Now some sites are considered "Associate Sites" and some are not. They're using DMOZ and Alexa in making the determination?

"Site detail pages contain a section called "Contact Information." They even show what appear to be home addresses and phone numbers for some site contacts. Where did you get this information?"

This site contact information is public. It is obtained from Internet domain registrars, and can be queried in a large variety of ways by literally anyone on the Internet. It is not derived in any way from Amazon's customer data.

Associates Community (beta) What a mess and bad idea. Tomorrow when i'm awake i will go thru all this.

Like the new Browse Associates Websites Feature:
    Browse Associates Websites > Shopping > Clothing > Niche
    Most Popular In Niche
    The 5 most visited sites in all 'Niche' categories

If you have a niche site making money, tell Amazon thanks for posting it so thousands can see what works, then copy yours. Good night

ABW Ambassador
    I never trusted the Alexa toolbar. Having read the TOS, it doesn't seem to be much more than Amazon spyware.

There are some steps you can take.

I have blocked them from indexing my sites in our robots.txt files. I've gone to Alexa's site, brought up my sites and removed all contact information. And finally, my sites are "Not categorized" on Amazon's sites and so are hard to index.

I see no benefit in allowing Alexa/Amazon to play with my info or in including my sites in Amazons Associate Index, a function that will likely never be used by paying customers.

Wayne

[This message was edited by NorthernStudio on July 31, 2003 at 09:39 AM.]

We use Amazon less and less. It just seems the program has too many annoying facets - nothing fatal, but just enough to make it not worthwhile.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

ABW Ambassador
    I finally blocked Alexa with a robots.txt file as they were chewing up my bandwidth like it was FREE!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stanley Holtsclaw:
    I finally blocked Alexa with a robots.txt file as they were chewing up my bandwidth like it was FREE!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They've got a few iterations (or more than a few I'm sure) were you successful in blocking them? (and what did you use if you don't mind?). Eventually, when I'm done replacing all/most of their links I'll want to block them out too.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Were you successful in blocking it? Amazon's site says that the bot is configed to ignore robots.txt

It also says in the user agreement that you are not allowed to block it.

"In addition, you acknowledge that we (and our corporate affiliates, such as Alexa Internet, Inc.) may crawl or otherwise monitor your site for the purpose of ensuring the quality and reliability of Special Links on your site (for example, to detect links that are broken or non-functional, links to products that are out of stock or otherwise unavailable, etc.). Therefore, you agree that we and our corporate affiliates may take such actions and that you will not seek to block or otherwise interfere with such crawling or monitoring (and that we and our corporate affiliates may use technical means to overcome any methods used on your site to block or interfere with such crawling or monitoring)."

But hey, if you have found a way, more power to ya.

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    We block Alexa/archive.org at the ip level to most of our servers. Seems they never figured out the whole multiple sites on one ip and a few times were opening up 6-700 connections at a time on one server.

Officially we did not block them, but our firewall blocked them.

Any robot that uses an identifiable signature can be blocked using htacess files. We don't since the CJ spider really never hit us too bad, I just don't like the idea of spiders being sprung without any warning or explaination.

I previously posted elsewhere (as a joke) an htaccess script that would redirect the cj spider to ebates.com, it would work with any network spider and scumware combo.

Chet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    I logged in and under Your Websites its only showing 1 out of 3 i had in my account.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I had 5 of my 6 sites taken off, just like yours. I emailed amazon about it, and this is their response:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our technical staff
    is now aware of this situation and is investigating further.

The missing list of your web sites did not effect the tracking of
    click throughs or earnings from your various web sites.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just re-added the sites they removed. I told them that in the email I sent, and they didn't care.

I don't know what they're trying to do with this new layout of everything. It seems that there are too many people with not enough work to keep them busy at Amazon, so they come up with crazy new ideas that they think are wonderful that end up causing all the affiliates headaches. I couldn't find any of my sites listed in their index yet, and with any luck they'll stay away.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ~Michelle:
    Were you successful in blocking it? Amazon's site says that the bot is configed to ignore robots.txt

It also says in the user agreement that you are not allowed to block it.

"In addition, you acknowledge that we (and our corporate affiliates, such as Alexa Internet, Inc.) may crawl or otherwise monitor your site for the purpose of ensuring the quality and reliability of Special Links on your site (for example, to detect links that are broken or non-functional, links to products that are out of stock or otherwise unavailable, etc.). Therefore, you agree that we and our corporate affiliates may take such actions and that you will not seek to block or otherwise interfere with such crawling or monitoring (and that we and our corporate affiliates may use technical means to overcome any methods used on your site to block or interfere with such crawling or monitoring)."

But hey, if you have found a way, more power to ya.

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, they added all that legal/threatening mumbo jumbo, but in actuality if you block the amazon bot and IA Archiver your site will never be listed as an associated site. They think everybody is a lemming
    I blocked them on sites that used more disk space because I didn't want them eating it for breakfast so they have 3 small sites listed in my account which should keep them happy for now. If anybody wanted to steal them they could have them, and if they did I'd find them in a heart beat

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread