I thought Amazon banned all parasites from thier affiliate program. If you log in to your Amazon affiliate account and scroll to the movers and shakers you'll see Hotbar has moved up by 71%. I wonder who's commission they stole to move up 71%.

ABW Ambassador
    Also Huntbar, CommonName and Ezula I'm told. They seem to love 'em. And though it doesn't overwrite commissions, lets include Alexa, their own personal spyware toolbar.

I'll ask again here since it wasn't answered in the parasite forum: Anyone know the B&N track record regarding scumware? Am I opening a can of parasitic worms if I switch links from Amz to B&N?

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Movers & shakers stats come from Alexa. These sites are not necessarily Amazon associates.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KCEdit:
    Movers & shakers stats come from Alexa. These sites are not necessarily Amazon associates.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Amazon should clarify this then because it specifically states in the Movers and Shakers box "Movers & Shakers
    A list of associate sites with the highest jump in web traffic."

Tony

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Movers & Shakers A list of associate sites with the highest jump in web traffic."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This has been the subject of much discussion on the Amazon Associates board. Amazon hasn't jumped in to disavow their being associates.

See any Amazon links at their sites?

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    As far as B&N goes, they are over-ridden with parasites. Amazon may not be perfect, but is far ahead of BN. Plus, from everything I've heard, BN converts terribly in comparison to Amazon. Not a surprise, either, since most people probably use BN's site to scout out books before heading down to the local store to pick it up and such. You also have the ability at Amazon to grab non-book sales - at BN you're pretty limited to books, music and videos and such.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks jimh009,

Thats'a help.

I'm not sure that more people scout B&N and buy at the local store than scout Amazon and do the same. I do it occasionally myself though our local Borders is an hour drive and B&N is the same drive plus an hour ferry ride.

Sad B&N isn't parasite-free. Guess I'll stick with Amazon unless B&N cleans up it's act or I can find a clean merchant for books. (Tried Powells with no success but don't know if they're infested.)

Wayne

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Get real folks. The only cure for B&N is to fire their AM as soon as possible. All else is just spin till they hire someone who gives a rats ass about converting affiliate traffic besides a incnet BHO. Not even someone like Scott would dare defend or even comment on the losers running that program into the ground year after year.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Barnes and Noble is consistently in my top 15 merchants every month.
    Their affiliate manager is very nice. She does a good job communicating about specials and sales they are having.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

I've used Barnes & Noble as well as Amazon, and I can tell you that B&N converted at about 10% of what Amazon does. The difference was amazing!

The pages were exactly the same, I just changed the links. I think Amazon is better recognized as an internet retailer, while B&N is not.

Amazon isn't perfect, but they have taken major steps to protect affiliate earnings in the past, and we know they listen and respond to complaints by affiliates, even if it takes them a while to get around to it.

You can't say that about some of the others, but I won't mention any names...

Andy

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread