ABW Ambassador
    Got the email showing me how much i made last quarter and i should pay more attention to the different % Amazon offers. Seems they have one of the higher % for electronics at 5%. Good to be aware of especially around the holidays since most people trust the Amazon name.
    Some electronics merchants
    vanns 3%
    nowonsale 2%
    best buy 3%
    circuit ciy 3%
    buy.com 1.5 % on most goods
    tweeter 3%
    etronics 2%
    millionbuy 4%
    abtelectronics 3%

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

But ... if it is either a "Marketplace - Electronics" or "'XYZ Partner' - Electronics" purchase it is only 2.5%!!! Be carefull to check the categories to see who ships them to diferentiate if it is a 5 or a 2.5 deal

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Also, be aware of Amazon's $10 cap on electronics sales at Amazon.

$3000 rear projection TV sale at etronics at 2% commission: $60 commission

$3000 rear projection TV sale at Amazon at 5% commission: $150 commission. However, actual pay is $10, because of the cap. Actual commission earned: not 5%, but 0.33%

Plus, Amazon program does not include return day tracking.

You have to conpare the EPC rather than commission rate.

http://8n.nu/

ABW Ambassador
    Q1
    The base referral rate for Electronics retail purchases will be 4%; for Marketplace purchases, it will be 2.5%.

No more caps

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The base referral rate for Electronics retail purchases will be 4%...
    No more caps <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    4% with a 2.5% bonus for direct links sales. No cap. This is for 6 months and applies to electronics. Most other categories still have caps and different commission rates.

The 15% rate for direct linked books was cut in half. For my book review site, it means I'll be looking at yet another alternative to Amazon for books, my only Amazon sales category.

There are a few things some people will love in this program, many things others will hate. I won't be adding Amazon links to my new electronics pages. Screwing with the commissions 3 times a year makes dealing with this company risky and impossible if you're trying to build an affiliate business. This program is too quirky and unstable for me.

Wayne

~Jeopardy Junkie~

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The 15% rate for direct linked books was cut in half. For my book review site, it means I'll be looking at yet another alternative to Amazon for books, my only Amazon sales category.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who has a better book commission structure and better book epc than Amazon.com?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I won't be adding Amazon links to my new electronics pages. Screwing with the commissions 3 times a year makes dealing with this company risky and impossible <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe every time they have screwed with the commissions, that the average commissions paid on electronics has gone UP. No?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Who has a better book commission structure and better book epc than Amazon.com?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Probably no one. I always maintained that book selling is what Amazon did best, for both customers and affilliates (er.. "associates.") Now they started screwing it up. Sorry, I just can't get excited about a cut in my book commissions.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the average commissions paid on electronics has gone UP. No?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I wouldn't know. I've never linked to a single non-media item. The rest of their affiliate program sucked in my opinion, due to their $10.00 cap on just about everything. A $10 commmission on a $2,000 item never appealed to me as something to go after when 2% elsewhere with no cap would fetch 4 times that. Name recognition just isn't enough enticement for me to hitch my wagon to their star.

Now they've lowered their electronics commission rate and lifted the cap on this category for 6 months. As an experiment, their message said. Like they haven't had enough time for experimenting after all these years.

As I said, some people will love these quarterly changes, others not. It's a trade off. Amazon traded some book commissions for electronics commissions. I guess I just lost in the trade.

Book commissions being the least profitable for me, I can afford to try alternatives. As for everything else, I've found lots of merchants right on this board paying great commissions on other items with no caps, with terms I can be sure won't change every 3 months. I like consistancy. I have too many other things on my plate to have to study Amazon's ever-changing rates, caps & tiers every three months.

Wayne

~Jeopardy Junkie~

I like this one, so I say it again:
    No more Caps!

Direct link electronics will even be at 6,5%
    direct link marketplace 5.0%

I don't care much about losing the 15% to 7.5%.
    Those sales are always small, largest 15% I've seen was $55.00, about 8 bucks comm, will be $4 now.
    Camcorders, digital camera's, GPS and things like that shoot up from 1.something% to 6.5 without the cap.
    THAT I do like

Did I mention they removed the caps?

---------------------------------------
    But it beats a real j.o.b.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

I believe every time they have screwed with the commissions, that the average commissions paid on electronics has gone UP. No?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bet, see my message above.
    Just did a quick "study" of this months stats, if I removed the caps it would have been a couple of hundreds extra.

I sell 60% non-media btw.

---------------------------------------
    But it beats a real j.o.b.

ABW Ambassador
    The zero day cookie hurts normally, but around the holidays? I don't think it makes much of an impact, I always push amazon around the holidays.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Am I missing something in this calculation?

Suppose I sell a computer for $1000, direct linked. The base commission is 4%, plus 2.5% equals $65. If you are in the 620% growth target earnings bonus range wouldn't you get around $400 for that one sale?

ABW Ambassador
    I believe the growth bonus is on your base
    commission, not on the purchase price.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    Am I missing something in this calculation?

Suppose I sell a computer for $1000, direct linked. The base commission is 4%, plus 2.5% equals $65. If you are in the 620% growth target earnings bonus range wouldn't you get around $400 for that one sale?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bonus is a percentage of the commission, not sale. So the bonus commission will be based on $65, not $1000.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread