Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    As Amazon won our "Best Improved Program" award for 2002, I decided it only fitting to open a board for any/all issues of thier program.

Any questions regarding the Amazon.pl XML script from Cusimano.com should be posted in their forum

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Wow! Thanks alot!

I always wanted to use Amazon, but they seemed so cheap and cheesy and hard to sell. Now maybe I'll learn something and check it out!

I do not understand how people make money at Amazon if they only pay for new customers and practically everyone on earth has already been there!

Maybe not the best place to continue this but... Papasan, Amazon.com pays for returning visitors as well. They pay you for any visitor that buys something within 24 hours from a link from your site. They, once upon a time paid a bonus for new customers, maybe that is where you got the idea that they only paid for new customers?

I'm not making huge money, but I am making consistent money with an upward motion from there. I've also never not been paid when I made the minimum (which they've recently stated they are going to use the $100 minimum for checks that's been stated in their associate agreement for years now). Up till this quarter they've always paid anything above $25.

Haiko, Yes, thank you very much for this forum. Amazon.com was my first affiliate program and is still a significant part of my current group of affiliate programs.

Brian
    D'Yamba

I never have done good with Amazon, I have sent 4879 targeted clicks in google and yahoo since July of 2001

Items Shipped Shipped Items Revenue Referral Fees New Customers New Customer Bonus Total Earnings
    2 $28.22 $1.41 0 n/a n/a
    No commission. this was quite disturbing for me.

Jason
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Amazon was also my first affiliate program. I made one link on one page on my free web space with my ISP. A few months later, out of the blue, I discovered in an e-mail report from Amazon that one person had done about $500 worth of shopping sometime within the 24 hours after they clicked on my link. This got me interested in the whole affiliate game. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Peter Kirby
    Domain Name Registration Directory

ABW Ambassador
    I do great with Amazon, one of my top ten merchants. I used to have a simple banner and text link and made no money. Now i have 1 page devoted to them with lots of different deals. The trick is to look around the site, there are a lot of good deals, rebates and coupons and then make a link directly to the page that has the deal.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

Same here sent 900 clicks no sales.

Funny thing I use product links only and 37 of my clicks went through a redirect type link according to my reports. What ever a redirect link is or means?

Jason I have an older account also.

Maybe the newer accounts are tracking better then the older ones?

I tried to get a new account Amazon said no, this was about a month ago.

"It's your foot, you can shoot it if you want to." ~ Me

Generally I do not post anything to do with figures or revenues since its personal business. However, using either either David's scripts or Anaconda (we use Anaconda), we've had tremedous results using Amazon.

One of the way we do it ourselves is by taking advantage of all the content on our sites. Within all articles and content submitted, or written by our editors, we'll select some of the words inside the content/articles themselves and make it a link to related search results or a specific product on Amazon and pull the results into our templates using the Anaconda script.

Consistently Amazon has outperformed all other affiliate programs doing this for us, with Linkshare second (we totally lost respect for CJ and gave up on them altogether). With Amazon booting the various "parasites" our revenues have more than quadrupled this quarter. We're consistently converting at greater than 20% conversion ratio. With more than 10,000 visitors daily to our site, that conversion rate quickly adds up to a rather nice secondary revenue stream.

The key for us is understanding our viewer demographics and knowing what they enjoy as a general group. This has been relatively simple just because after 6 years online, you know your user demographics and they click on. If you don't understand your site's demographics in 6 years, you just don't survive with a content orieted site.

If you're a content site, look closely at either David's script or the Anaconda script and determine if this method could work for you. For us, it has worked very well.

[This message was edited by Robert on December 21, 2002 at 10:55 AM.]

I'm going to contact amazon, and write a letter and see if there's any possibity that older accounts may not be converting. I'll keep you all updated on the reply.

Jason
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060

My account goes back to circa 1997 and my traffic converts at 1.89% ... below average but not an indication of bad tracking. I am getting sales every day.

Peter Kirby
    Domain Name Registration Directory

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert:
    Generally I do not post anything to do with figures or revenues since its personal business. However, using either either David's scripts or Anaconda (we use Anaconda), we've had tremedous results using Amazon.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who is David and what is Anaconda

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter Kirby:
    My account goes back to circa 1997 /<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine goes back at least that far, and it does fine. Sales every day. Check every quarter.

Papasan: David is David Cusimano who produces a well-received script to handle Amazon implementation on your website. david has a forum right here on Abestweb, or you can check out his site at:

http://www.cusimano.com/scripts/

Anaconda is Anaconda Partners and they provide an Amazon based script (the one we use):

http://www.anacondapartners.com/ap_famazondemo.shtml

Important to note, I have no personal experience in actually using David's script, but from the various posts I've seen on this board, there are several ABW members using it and pleased with its performance.

We had this quarter a 1.6% visitor to item conversion rate at amazon. The Visitor to ORDER conversion rate is probably less than 1%.

Amazon.com pays nowadays not only for referred customers, but referred sales. So don't worry about that.

However, everybody and his uncle is linking to Amazon.com. Its imperative that customers visiting amazon.com through your link are buying right away.

The chance is very high, that they clicked another affiliate link prior their purchase, if they buy the item later.

If you target somebody like amazon.com and expect a high conversion rate, pre-sell good, no, pre-sell VERY good.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

I can't see why all the negativity about amazon. For me it converts much much better than anything else I've tried before (about 6%).

The great thing about amazon is that even if you promote only one type of product you get loads of sales of things completely unrelated.

The only thing I don't like about amazon is that they only pay quaterly. I

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert:
    Papasan: David is David Cusimano who produces a well-received script to handle Amazon implementation on your website. david has a forum right here on Abestweb, or you can check out his site at:

http://www.cusimano.com/scripts/

Anaconda is Anaconda Partners and they provide an Amazon based script (the one we use):

http://www.anacondapartners.com/ap_famazondemo.shtml

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

funny, i was just gonna ask who cusimano was!!

thanks!

i hope if their script isnt free that they at least have a test drive feature!

i see they have the free demo which is great. i will probably try it out but i wonder if they would accept paypal? i do not have a credit card [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Personally I didn't do squat with Amazon until after implementing David's script. Now I'm on the 6% commission tier and working upward [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>CollectableCrazy.com<LI>CollectibleCrazy.com<LI> CollectorsAlert.com
    <LI>eTMAC.com
    <LI>ExchangeReview.com<LI> Seek360.com[/list]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Personally I only got serious with Amazon because of a fluke. An antsy merchant had dropped me after I had made a specialized site! Unfortunately for them, Google had just decided to list it (:p to the impatient place...haste made waste!) --which meant I now had barrel-loads of traffic that had to go somewhere.

There's lots of merchants in the category in question, but when I did a search here, every single one of them had been MAJORLY dissed or had other things which caused me concern.

That left Amazon, the place that sells everything under the sun...or spend time trying to dredge up a different indie merchant. Spending time wasn't in the Plan--people were coming THEN and finding dead links. So I needed to be able to find a place that had a HUGE range of stuff that I could just do a quickie link-switch with.

I picked Amazon and am quite pleased to note that they convert very well on Revenue pages. On the c*ntent site I also have Amazon on, though, the results are typical: About 10c despite what I would think is great targeting. So I'm glad they can perform under Real Ecommerce circumstances.

As for the negativity toward Amazon, it's because of rather big clinkers like:

5% Commission on cheap items.
    2.5% Commission on some other items
    No Cookies
    Not supposed to use your own links.
    Quarterly payment.

These would be SERIOUS drawbacks for most programs!! And, those drawbacks kept me from signing up for Amazon for ages.

But Amazon also has something else most other programs don't have: A MEGA ADVERTISING BUDGET and wide reputation, which increases their CR a lot. So, their program performs okay despite the presence of things that would absolutely ice most others. Still, they are the Merchant of Last Resort for me. And I wouldn't promote 2.5% stuff for any merchant...

Overall though, their wide-scale acceptance by the buyers make their program worthwhile despite the clinkers which would kill other programs.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

It's a real yo-yo of a program in terms of conversion, but I'm pretty sure thats now mostly parasite activity eating away at my commissions. In Q2 I was getting an EPC of just 50 cents.

Current CR of a measly 1.6% for me. EPC is about $2, reversals rate = 0%.

I've said many times before though that Amazon has some huge advantages.. if you're promoting BOOKS then you've got a potential reach of US, Canadian, UK, German, Austrian, French and Japanese customers. Electronics is covered by the US, UK, Germany and Japan too.

Another advantage is that if you run a CONTENT site you can always find an Amazon product that goes with the site.. in fact, I'd argue that Amazon is the best program for small-scale content sites where youre primary aim is to cover your costs.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

(btw I'm working out the EPC as earnings per 100 unique visitors - not clicks).

I don't know what anybody else got in Q2, but I actually made LESS money in Q2 than I did in Q4 99 (the earliest my stats go back) when I was getting an EPC of $16.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the place that sells everything under the sun... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The products I sale are only found in something called zShops. Do I get commission on these? How does it work?

Do I get paid differently for a direct product link than for a a redirect type link ro is it the same commission?

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

nevermind. I think I have it, now. I have to redo a ton of links. (sigh)

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Great to have this forum.
    This is perfect, thank you!

Mike

www.crazycooldealz.com

I have a question for the group, hopefully someone will be able to shed so light.

On September 2, 2003 a person purchased 13 books of Title A at $24.95 each, 3 books of title B at 19.95 each and three other books of title C at $14.00 or so.

As of this date, 09/2203, the items have not appeared as shipped, and they have not been returned. My account has yet to be credited for the sale of these items...

Anyone has any idea as to what might be going on?

Thanks for your feedback.

Gil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast