FYI:

I just noticed someone has started a thread about TinyURL inserting their own affiliate link in links they generate for Amazon associates. I'm not sure if it's cool to post the link to that board here or not, but it's easy to find once you get to the Amazon boards.

Seems everywhere you turn these days, there's another snake waiting to bite you!

Andy

Andy

that's why I always have a big stick handy

Joe

And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    (Reads thread at Amazon forum)

What a rotten trick! I'm glad I stayed away from that place!!

Usually I have no problems with just letting my links show as they are. But on the occasion when I want to hide the "affiliate-ness" of a link I just use the code from the "get HTML" at CJ. For non-CJ merchants, I just modify the code to suit.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

ABW Ambassador
    It took me a minute to understand what you were saying, wow. That is outright thievery and Amazon should drop that account like a rock.

I do like the people pointing out sitepoint tells people to use them, of course the do. Half of what sitepoint suggest is either junk or a scam. They have no values past how much will you pay us to promote this junk.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Since some has started a parallel thread to this first one, I'll repeat what I said there.

TinyURL has responded that the original "accuser" is in error in his understanding of the affiliate linking, that affiliate links go through correctly. A regular on the Amazon boards, an individual whose opinion I respect has stated that his affiliate link through TinyURL resolves correctly.

I think this may be a non-issue.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Actually, that is incorrect. If you are an old amazon affiliate - as i am. There is no -20 on the code, so he still overwrites, or did previously. To quote him:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I appoligize for the confusion our use of the Amazon affiliate program has caused, I have also changed our code to look for an associate ID in all amazon links (searches for '-20') and if present send them directly your URL instead of having amazon's server determine it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I own 10 3 character domains and have always used those for my own version of tinyurl, but if someone else did use his service, and was an older affiliate, he is not denying there may have been an issue.

Chet

There was not an issue before that change and there still is not an issue. In that message where Chez quoted from, it is saying that it was not an issue in the past, but he did not quote that part. The look for the associate ID was added to avoid future confusion and false accusations like what happened in the Amazon forums.

When using an amazon affiliate URL in TinyURL, the person creating the TinyURL is the one that will get the commission. TinyURL only gets a commission if the URL is not already an affiliate URL.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread