Is there any tangible advantage to using the classic commisions structure vs the tiered?

ABW Ambassador
    No.

http and a telephoto
    I wish they would stop messing around, decide on a commission stucture and USE it! Choosing a new plan every quarter is getting very annoying. Just pay me the highest amount I qualify for and be done with it
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Why not just give everybody the Tiered by default since there is no more penalty?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, are they messing around with the commission structure again? Oh, of course, it's been three months already! Are they down to 1% commission on books yet?

I suppose I could read the emails they send but I've been trying to ignore Amazon as much as possible and focus on real affiliate programs.

My sites that have book links are on auto pilot.

Wayne

http and a telephoto
    I think they are used the ever changing tiers to see who is paying attention
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Amazon! What a Joke! When I come up #s 14 and 15 for "majortopic book" and #7 for "majortopic2 book" and only have earned 12.59 for the quarter, it is a joke!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

The last few sites I made for amazon, I linked to higher priced items, appliances, jewelry, and saw an improvement in commissions. Maybe, it's best to stay away from books....

ABW Ambassador
    Are they still putting commission caps on the higher priced items? The idea of a 10 dollar cap on a 2000 buck sale was laughable.

Wayne

I think they've eliminated most of their caps, at least for this quarter. I tend to focus on items in the $200 range with them anyway, so the caps never made much difference.

Amazon.com works very well with some of us. With the brand recognition, they convert very well.

With hundreds of thousands of affiliates, I'm sure there's plenty of competition for most areas. Still, it's not hard to do well with them.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Amazon was tickle income for me last year (covered hosting costs for all my sites).

But last quarter they had an absolutely crazy growth targets program. Hitting the top growth tier had a 680% bonus (680% of the normal commision, so a 5% commission was over 30%).

Guess what? Last quarter my traffic to Amazon increased by about 50% and conversion rates nearly doubled, and I hit that top growth tier. The growth bonus was only on sales volume that was over the growth target (so the sales early in the quarter didn't qualify).

Talk about a hockey stick on the revenue shart! I finally broke the 4 figure mark for a single month with Amazon!

Unfortunately, they've set my growth targets for this quarter even higher - and the bonuses aren't quite so nice as last - but it goes to show that the tiered system can make Amazon competetive.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

I think I remember reading that this quarter's growth bonuses cover the entire quarter's sales and not just the incremental sales.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread