View Poll Results: Important Amazon Poll

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • If they come directly from my site and make a purchase right then... I want commission.

11 57.89%
  • If they come from my site and put something in their basket, I want credit even if they go to another affiliate site days later to complete their order.

6 31.58%
  • Either one is fine

2 10.53%
    Most people do not know this. If someone goes to your site and clicks on a link to Amazon and then makes a $3000 purchases right then and there, you may not get a single penny of commission. Let me explain.

If a customer came from another affiliate site and put something in their shopping cart yesterday, then today they go to your site for Amazon deals or sales info or whatever, when they make a purchase the first affiliate gets paid.

My opinion is that if I get a visitor to come to my site and make a purchase right now, I am the one who converted him, and I should be the one who gets the commission. And likewise, if they come to my site and go to Amazon and put something in their basket and don't make a purchase, but later feel like they need to visit another affiliate site to get more info, then I didn't do my job and I shouldn't get commission. I learned about this when my sister made a large purchase and said "Hey do you want me to use your link when I make my order?" then she did and I noticed I didn't get credit for the sale cause she had the item in her cart from a week ago.

So here is the question.....

When do you feel you deserve commission for an Amazon referal?

Just a though...It works the same way if I am the first affiliate and they make a purchase from another site. So it kind all pans out.
    Thanks,
    Doug

http and a telephoto
    She just had to take it out of her cart and then go to your site and put it back in. If she left it in her cart it goes to the aff link (or no link if she went right to Amazon) from when it was added.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Doug,

Many people coupon site hop. Let's say a visitor goes to a competitor affiliate site first. They see something the first affiliate is pushing from Amazon such as Bill Clinton's new book. Affiliate site 1 is a sloppy site that doesn't offer much content and it is not up to date. But the customers adds Bill's book to their shopping cart but they aren't sure if they want to purchase the item yet because they question if they are getting the best price. So they go to affiliate site 2 which has considerable content and up to date prices listed. They also have a book price search feature. The customer sees that Amazon is the place they want to purchase the book from and they click on affiliate #2's Amazon link many hours later. Affiliate #2 converted the customer and made him buy, but even though the customer came directly from affiliate #2's website, affiliate #2 will not get paid cause the customer still had the book in their shopping cart.

On the other hand if you have a great site, you probably are converting quite a bit more customers than your competitors so you are much more likely to lose commissions than to gain the commissions from the customer they convert of you. So I don't believe it evens out for the better affiliates.

From the Amazon site, your information is not correct:

We will pay you (in accordance with Sections 5 and 6 below) referral fees on certain Product sales to third parties. For a Product sale to be eligible to earn a referral fee, the customer must click-through a Special Link from your site to the Amazon.com Site, and add the Product to his or her shopping cart or purchase the Product via our 1-Click™ feature during a session. The session ends upon one of the following events: (a) 24 hours elapses from the customer's initial click-through, (b) the customer orders the Product, or (c) the customer follows a third party's Special Link. We will only pay referral fees on eligible Products after order, payment and shipping have occurred.
    We will not, however, pay referral fees on any Products that are added to a customer's Shopping Cart or are purchased via our 1-Click™ feature after the customer has reentered the Amazon.com Site (other than through a Special Link from your site), as determined by us, even if the customer previously followed a link from your site to the Amazon.com Site. In addition, gift certificates are not eligible to earn referral fees.

ABW Ambassador
    Last click gets the sale.

Connie,

The last time I contacted Amazon this was not the case.

"We will only pay referral fees on eligible Products after order, payment and shipping have occurred"

What is an eligible product? Could it be that items already in the shopping cart when someone clicks on your link is not eligible for commission? That is what I was told. So maybe the first affiliate loses the commission, but that doesn't mean affiliate #2 will get it. This is kind of important to know. Does anyone talk to Amazon on a regular basis and can ask them directly about this.

Larry, Oops, I mean Todd, What is your mission?

Do I get every commission I am entitled to with AM? Probably not. Am I making money? Yeah! Don't sweat the small stuff.

Connie,

Why are you calling me Larry? If you are talking about me I want to make sure I get paid on every Amazon sale I can.

Jane, I don't think this is small stuff. We need to all know when we are getting commissions and when we are not getting commissions. Since I have added Amazon a little over a year ago, sales are good. But how much am I missing out on? I wouldn't mind pinching out a little more. Maybe I need to put a disclaimer asking my visitors to empty their shopping cart before making a purchase. Small stuff adds up.

http and a telephoto
    LOL, asking people to empty their shopping carts and refill them will go over well. Go ahead, put that on your website, I'd like to watch over people's shoulder when they shop at your site and see that. ...My crystal ball shows not a single one of them doing it......

Let us know how it goes....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Ok bad example Loxly.

I think you know what I mean. Anytime we are losing money due to a glitch, or someone not paying us the proper commissions we should be concerned and take immediate action. Amazon pays well and is consistant so it may be harder with them. A crappy merchant could be taken off without a second look.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread