I wrote this script which allows you to add just a few lines of javascript to your page and receive ads relevant to that page much in the same way Adsense works. I'd appreciate any advice people could give on how to improve it and places to promote it.

www.abettermall.com/tools/easyamazontoolbarsetup.aspx

Very good idea.

ABW Ambassador
    Did you write the script, or are you just using one of the many scripts like this? If you search around, there are a few scripts that do this already and you don't have to split your revenue with the script writer.

Chet

Complete domain doesn't resolove for me. Just get an error page.
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

IMO it's a neat idea, but I'd hate to think I might be getting 9 $1 sales and you get a $1000 one

Chez Noir

i have not seen others yet.
    At least not in adsense style

more info ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    Did you write the script, or are you just using one of the many scripts like this? If you search around, there are a few scripts that do this already and you don't have to split your revenue with the script writer.
    Chet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chet, I wrote it from scratch. I did several searches before hand to try to verify it hadn't been done already. And didn't find any that were content-driven. Could you tell me which ones you're referring to?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tj:
    IMO it's a neat idea, but I'd hate to think I might be getting 9 $1 sales and you get a $1000 one <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assure you it's totally random. The product links go directly to Amazon, not to my site. You can view the url properties on any given page to see which affiliate id is appended to each one to make sure everything is on the up and up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vrindavan:
    AmaZense

http://www.indodigest.com/indonesia-news-319.html
    http://www.indodigest.com/indonesia-news-322.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I was unaware of this at the time or I probably wouldn't have bothered. I tried to see the content-driven version of theirs in action, but couldn't find a demo, just the one that requires you to specify the keywords. I think the one I wrote has two key advantages over their's though. The first being mine is just javascript so you can easily add it to any website by copying and pasting a few lines. Their's is PHP and I beleive requires PHP Nuke as well. The second is their's doesn't appear to render in FireFox, which the one I wrote does. I do have to admit I like their layout better. The one I wrote is fully customizable through stylehsheets but I think the default stylesheet could use some improvement. I'll try their's out and enhance the one I have to hopefully provide the best of both worlds.

The other thing I noticed was that the example on your page doesn't seem to be very related.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tj:
    The other thing I noticed was that the example on your page doesn't seem to be very related. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah your right. The code to determine what the keywords are on the page was working pretty good. But then it would do an AWS search for the products which didn't always return the best ones. I've swapped it out to where it uses the google api to search for products on Amazon instead and am getting much better results now.

I really appreciate all the feedback on the toolbar. I think it's much better now thanks to everyone's help. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about promoting it though? I could only find 4-5 real web webmaster tools type websites that allow free submissions. And I don't think any paid advertising campain like adwords would turn a profit. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I think you are allowed to mention availability in amazon.com's own associate forum, if you haven't already. But if you skim 10% of the hits (what I think I caught here) you'd better mention that up front. (it's a jungle in there)

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread