Do we get commission on repeat customers that we send to amazon or is it just the first time?
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

I believe the customer must come through one of your links for you to get credit.

I've seen them NOT pay on repeat customers even though my link was used and recently I've seen them only pay for part of a large order... not sure what is up with that!

So this means to say that once you send the customer to amazon they are gone forever even if they come back to your site and use your link again to go to amazon? I am asking this because I have few, not too many, loyal visitors who like to use my links to buy stuff online. In this case they use my link and buy something from amazon the first time and then they go back to amazon,using my link again, the next time I wouldnt get anything?
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tj:
    recently I've seen them only pay for part of a large order... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats totally not fair, to pay for small orders and not to pay or pay for part of large orders.

ahmar,

You could always market the alexa toolbar which has an amazon shop now button (pre-coded with your aff id in it) and cobranded with your logo (new in version 2).

See -&gt; http://pages.alexa.com/prod_serv/pro...Corp_W_t_40_L1

Converts pretty good, without being too 'techy' to shoppers.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Haiko, thanks for the link. I appreciate your help but I have only one question, doesnt it seem like some kind of cookie stuffing material? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I know I can recommend Alexa to few of my loyal visitors (because I know they are going to use my link anyway)but marketing it on my site (as I wouldnt know who is going to use it and its not in my control) would it be fair to other affiliates?

Once again please correct me if I am wrong just want to be sure that I am not taking even a penny away from any other affiliate.

There have been a few heated discussions about the toolbar and this might turn into another one, but having it installed on my machine I can tell you how it works and really what it does which should dispell any of the cookie stuffing issues.

1. It does not automatically stuff your cookie into amazon traffic that is not originated from the amazon link on the toolbar.
    2. you will only get commission from sales that originate from an end user clicking on the amazon link in the toolbar.
    3. It isn't parasitic, however it is considered spyware (but in a good sense not the bad one) because they do track where you do go - they use this data for the Alexa traffic ranking figures.
    4. Even though I did say it wasn't parasitic (in the traditional sense) it does offer alternatives (via the "people also visit" links shown so end users might surf away from your site to another competing affiliate's site and they might get the sale.
    5. If the end users continue to return to your site - with the toolbar on, your Alexa ranking increases.

If I missed something I'm sure someone else will chime in, but all in all I think it's a good toolbar (there's value in it for everyone involved) and generally 'affiliate friendly'.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thanks again Haiko. Have a better idea now about how Alexa works.

One thing just struck me that anyway amazon doesnt have a cookie longer than 24 hours so the chances are bit slim that it will over ride other affiliates cookies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ahmar:
    One thing just struck me that anyway amazon doesnt have a cookie longer than 24 hours so the chances are bit slim that it will over ride other affiliates cookies. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hey Ahmar,

If I understand Amazon's system correctly, I think it is a 1-time session cookie. Not 24 hrs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ian @ eyiproducts.com:
    If I understand Amazon's system correctly, I think it is a 1-time session cookie. Not 24 hrs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If thats the case then its even better (obviously not duration vise) because then there will be no question of overriding cookies.

My understanding is that a session still writes to a cookie. If it's a cookie, it can technically still be over written no?

From what I understand, you are correct Ian. A session does store a session ID in the form of a cookie.

Highly unlikely that it would be overwritten during a session, but absolutely possible.
    - I am not young enough to know everything

There are complaints in Amazon.com's own discussion group that the Alexa Toolbar is questionable regarding payment where one is expecting payment as a toolbar affiliate. Or something like that.

ask there, don't quote me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>just want to be sure that I am not taking even a penny away from any other affiliate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Right... so I think you should remove all affiliate content immediately to prevent this happening!! [joking]

Seriously though, nice link Haiko, thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kmkimmo:
    From what I understand, you are correct Ian. A session does store a session ID in the form of a cookie.

Highly unlikely that it would be overwritten during a session, but absolutely possible. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thanks KM, much appreciated.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If I understand Amazon's system correctly, I think it is a 1-time session cookie. Not 24 hrs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Ian,

amazon DOES have a 24 hour cookie. I know, I made a purchase that waa accidentally credited to myself despite not going through my own link. But I had tested out some of my Amazon links the night before. And since I hadn't gone through anyones elses links, I ended up with the commission on the sale.

ABW Ambassador
    You can just login and check:

How long do visitors have to add an item to their Shopping Cart after clicking on one of my Amazon links until I no longer earn a referral fee on their purchase?

You earn referral fees on any qualifying items placed in a customer's Shopping Cart within 24 hours of their arrival at Amazon.com via your Associates link. However, this 24-hour window closes once the customer submits his order or reenters Amazon.com through another Associate's link. Once the window is closed, you will not earn referral fees on any subsequent purchases. However, if the customer then returns to Amazon.com through one of your Associates links, this opens a new 24-hour window.

It is of course possible that a customer may arrive at Amazon.com via your Associates link, add an item to his Shopping Cart, and then leave Amazon.com without placing an order. As long as the item was added to the customer's Shopping Cart during this 24-hour window, you will still earn a referral fee if the order is placed before the Shopping Cart expires (usually after 90 days). The referral fee will not be credited to your Associates account until the customer has purchased the item, accepted delivery, and remitted full payment to Amazon.com.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I've seen them NOT pay on repeat customers even though my link was used and recently I've seen them only pay for part of a large order... not sure what is up with that!
    They once dropped me because of too much repeat traffic

Sent me an email saying they use affiliates to gain NEW customers - they loose money on our sales - so repeat affiliate customers are no good to them

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread