Duh! How blind can I be? I have this one CJ merchant that extends every transaction every month. Drives me nuts. Absolutely no reason for it.

So I'm cruising around Amazon and notice that they have a store there. There is one item I direct link to that sells very well. So, I switched the link from CJ to Amazon.

At CJ the merchant is paying me 5% or $1.25 per sale. However, at Amazon because I'm direct linking, I'm now getting 9.5% (7% + 2.5% direct link bonus) or $2.37 per sale. Plus it helps in my amazon totals so I can move up to the next tier.

And gee, I know I'm going to get paid on time each quarter. That'll teach that merchant to extend every sale every month. I wonder how much amazon is charging them to sell the same item they used to pay me $1.25 per sale?

ABW Ambassador
    Amazon comes in handy. Plus since they sell just about everything nowadays, you might send a visitor there looking to buy one thing and they might take a look around and buy some more stuff. Then you have occasions like Circuit City where you only get paid 1% and thru Amazon you start off making 5%. I'm at 6% now and they trump all the other electronics merchants out there. JCPenney won't let a lot of affiliates in nowadays, promote them thru Amazon. Coldwater Creek dropped a lot of affiliates, promote them thru Amazon. Also they have a lot of merchants that don't have affiliate programs. Well thru Amazon you can promote those merchants so in a way they kind of do have a program by way of Amazon. I will be taking a closer look when i have some time after the holidays and really go thru it all

All good points. Just kicking myself that I didn't see it sooner. I'm now looking at a lot of my smaller merchants and switching them over.

Plus it gives you leverage ... I have one merchant that I got angry at about a problem. I sent them an email saying, I'm just going to switch all your links to amazon and make 9.5%. They countered by raising my commission rate to 10%. They also fixed the problem.

[Moved to Amazon forum]
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracy:
    Duh! How blind can I be? I have this one CJ merchant that extends every transaction every month. Drives me nuts. Absolutely no reason for it.

So I'm cruising around Amazon and notice that they have a store there. There is one item I direct link to that sells very well. So, I switched the link from CJ to Amazon.

At CJ the merchant is paying me 5% or $1.25 per sale. However, at Amazon because I'm direct linking, I'm now getting 9.5% (7% + 2.5% direct link bonus) or $2.37 per sale. Plus it helps in my amazon totals so I can move up to the next tier.

And gee, I know I'm going to get paid on time each quarter. That'll teach that merchant to extend every sale every month. I wonder how much amazon is charging them to sell the same item they used to pay me $1.25 per sale? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tracy,
    GREAT IDEA!!

Anyway, I have never linked to anything other than books with AMAZON. To link to a page of products do you use the link generator. I tried that but I got a VERY long url that looks like it has a lot of stuff that I do not need in it. Normally I would ask this on the AMAZON board but since this is being discussed now, I thought I would get a quicker answer.

ABW Ambassador
    Wow, I am glad I found this. LOL I was beginning to think that I imagined my reply. LOL

Hi infoseeker,

In general, I just use this link:

&lt;a HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000099999/ref=nosim/yourusername"&gt;

Replace B000099999 with the ASIN or ISBN of the product you are promoting, and
    Replace yourusername with your Amazon id.

For images, sometimes I just link directly to amazon's image, sometimes I copy the image and resize it to suit my needs, then host it on my site.

I know in the past people have ragged on Amazon but it does convert like clockwork for me. You can almost bank on 3% conversion rate in my area.

I used to stay away from amazon. It was always a last resort, but things sure have changed. My conversion rate is like 10%. This year, I've made 10 times what I made with them last year. Now, they're my first choice when I'm looking for something to add to my site.

I alway used to be annoyed with Amazon for not having a cookie, but recently I switched from book links only to primarily electronics, and I did notice that people will usually order a load of books and CDs at the same time as their major purchase which helps to offset the no-cookie thing.

This also accounts for the wierdly high conversion rate - each item ordered is counted as another conversion, even through it's part of the same sale.

Tracy's link is exactly what I use. The NOSIM part helps to suppress the "similar items" list. That means the visitors gets more product information on the landing page at Amazon and you're more likely to get the direct link bonus.

And let's just say.. Christmas has been nuts. Order in the last week of November/first week of December have been huge. It's tailed off now to normal levels.

I have to say though.. I do most of my traffic through the UK programme these days. I hate the revamp on the US site Associates Central site, in the UK it uses the old fashioned interface that's been around for years.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> not having a cookie <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually a 24 hour cookie (still way too short)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> you're more likely to get the direct link bonus.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

amazon.com claims you still get the direct link bonus if someone buys off the "similar" page.

but I still feel there are too many diversionary tactics built into their system

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread