Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Skype is the next phenomenon from the people who brought you KaZaA. Just like KaZaA, Skype uses P2P (peer-to-peer) technology to connect you to other users – not to share files this time, but to talk and chat with your friends.

The technology is extremely advanced - but super simple to use... You’ll be making free phone calls to your friends in no time!
    ---------------------------
    Skype Beta Launched

Sep 4, 2003
    Skype has surpassed 15,000 users with over 2,000 users online simultaneously in just 6 days since the launch of Skype Beta. This has been achieved primarily through word of mouth and we are delighted that the product has been so well received by our growing user base.
    --------------------------------------------

Spreading like wildfire. The FAQ says it is 100% adware and spyware free, but someone more technical than me should maybe test it.

http://www.skype.com

Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    One guy on the forum I found this on just replied:

"and so far i havnt found any adware or spyware. It's pretty easy to use as well."

But I doubt he is really tuned into what to look for like B and some of the other sleuths on this board. Maybe it is clean now, but we should keep our eyes on it. After they get thousands more downloads, if they still offer it for free, I imagine they will look for "creative" ways to monetize it.

Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Yep Linda. The pattern of many of these folks is to offer it adware free and then add that "feature" with an upgrade once they have a million or so installs. That's actually what kazaa did with their p2p software. It was adware/spyware free when it first came out.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ditto with gator

i remember having gator when it first came out....

it was actually useful back then

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, scrape skype ...

If it worked once, keep doing it until it don't work no more...

I believe that once this thing becomes more popular, they will "automatically" update it with something sneaky. They can't provide ANYTHING for free, especially something that's a bandwidth hog.

We'll need to keep an eye on this one...

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Just a cloned scam folks like all FREEBEEs. This one was probably the brainchild of canned employees at Net2Phone or similar services that bundles spyware/adware with their IP phone services.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Another wonderful thing to run away from ... The attacks on the dektop are increasing, fortify your PC with more anti-virus and anti-spyware software....

DOes anyone have any up to date info about Skype?

http and a telephoto
    I installed and am using Skype and with all the spyware/adware/antivirus/anti everthing software I have on my computer, I didn't get any warnings. They way they make money, it looks to me, is that although Skype to Skype call are free, you pay for Skype to landline calls. You purchase credits, so it is all prepaid. No risk to them, you don't get slammed with big bills you can't pay.

I haven't used the paid service yet, but may look into it further. I have heard that their overseas rates are very reasonable, putting them a step above other VoIP providers.

Call clarity is amazing, and you can have free conference calls that include up to 4 people via Skype to Skype.

If there are problems that anyone is aware of, please post them ASAP, we now have it on several computers and I am planning on promoting it to others. There isn't an affiliate program that I am aware of, I just want to be able to talk to people for free
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I use Skype currently also. Had no idea it had any association with Kazaa. Neverthless, my PC is currently AdWare/Spyware free. There's certainly nothing getting auto-installed at the moment. I'm going to change my firewall settings for it slightly though, so if anything untoward does start, I'll get some advance warning. Right now, as Loxly says, it's a damn fine piece of software.

now that it is being used more frequently may be the time to watch it even more closely.

Problem with Skype
    I have a problem with Skype. I did not even know they were associated with Kazaa. I downloaded Skpye last month to try it out, it did not work so I uninstalled the program. Now since that time, every time I start up my PC two skype windows open. How do I totally uninstall Skype? It's partner in crime Kazza is still on my PC even though I uninstall that program months ago, it is still showing to occupy over 400 MB of space on my hard drive. Hepl me guys!!

http and a telephoto
    I have skype, I don't have kazza. Skype is easy to uninstall, you might have gotten a bad copy from somewhere, I would go to their website and email support.
    Deborah Carney

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Deb,

You have skype? So do I! Maybe one day I'll Skype you

http and a telephoto
    Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Deb,

You have skype? So do I! Maybe one day I'll Skype you
    Why would I wanna talk to the likes of you? LOL
    Deborah Carney

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    And she has such a "friendly-looking" avatar!

ABW Ambassador
    They now have a program at CJ today.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    They now have a program at CJ today.
    Sadly they do not allow affiliates to purchase credits from their own links

Hey, did anyone else miss the "FREE skype day" yesterday? (Well, 10 free credits day really)

Perhaps we can alert one another the next time it happens in this thread?

http://share.skype.com seems to be a good place to watch ...would be nice if they syndicate their blog
    Rosey Bear Boutique
    Dressy Children's Fashions With Style!
    5% Commission : NYS Merch : Parasite FREE
       Akoss Hosting
    We also provide reseller accounts for ABW members.
    Ask for details

las
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ
    Hey, did anyone else miss the "FREE skype day" yesterday? (Well, 10 free credits day really)
    Now don't miss out on today's skypeOut gift day. A big gift it is.. 0.20 euros.

And did you know.. skype was 'almost' sold out to Rupert Murdoch last week for $3 billion. Heres a nice scoop on the deal: http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050728.html

enjoy!
    -nishith

Quote Originally Posted by nish
    Now don't miss out on today's skypeOut gift day. A big gift it is.. 0.20 euros.
    Missed again
    Rosey Bear Boutique
       Akoss Hosting
    Ask for details

will a software like skype be integratet in a filesharing software? users could talk about their downloads. wouldn`t it be great?

Personally I rather see it stay the way it is, but I expect I'll move to Vonage before long now that they are offering unlimited calling to some countries in Europe AND a virtual number in the city I want!
    Rosey Bear Boutique
       Akoss Hosting
    Ask for details

didn't eBay invest..rather buy skype?

Personally I use the gizmo project as they accept paypal for payments and the rates are lower...still trying to spend my first 10 bucks I bought months ago. It's actually cheaper to call the states today, then it was to call another state when I lived in cali...but the drawback is about a half second delay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast