Thread: Data feed is too large!

Is there any way we can get it in several smaller portions? I can't get it to open in any of my programs and it stalls my computer.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

SSanf, I hate to say this, but that is becuase of the program you are using. Excel can only handle just over 65k rows. Excel was designed for number crunching and not handling datafeeds.

If you want to handle these really large files, you are going to have to break down and get the tools that will handle it. ie...LOTS more ram, a program that can handle over 65k records, and possibly learning some sort of scripting language. I know a lot of people are using Excel for this, but that is not what it was designed for.

I don't mean anything by this, but if merchants start making these feeds into smaller files for non-programming people to handle, then it makes it a lot harder for us programming people to manage and deal with.

You could always look into the split command on your server and see if you can break the feeds apart.

Just my $0.02.

Chris

----------------------------
    <FONT SIZE=1>ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....</font>

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Ssanf,

Email me and i'll set you up with 2 nifty programs that will do what you need....they are easy to find online too.

AndyRodriguez.com
    Affiliate Program Management
    and Consulting Services
    P: (305) 412-3512
    C: (305) 785-4524
    E: doc@andyrodriguez.com
    W: www.andyrodriguez.com
    AIM: AffiliateDoctor

SSanf,

Are you referring to Excel or another program?

You should be able to open the feed in Excel as a CSV file and if you wish, you can separate the two logical stores from each other. We have both Office Supplies and Cleaning Supplies set as two different values should you wish to break them apart. There are about 2,500 items in Cleaning and 27,000 or so items in Office.

Let me know if that helps at all!

Regards,

Victor Hanna
    The BettyMills Company
    Home of the 30,000 product DataFeed
    http://www.BettyMills.com
    http://affiliates.bettymills.com/
    BettyMills ABW Forum
    800-BettyMills (800-238-8964)

ABW Ambassador
    I had no problems opening the 30,000 product datafeed in Excel.
    It all depends on how much RAM you have, and which processor you have. If you have a good computer, you should have no problem using a 30,000 product file, and you don't need to know any scripting languages

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Everybody talks about Excel but I'd practically stake money that Ssanf is using WORKS Spreadsheet to (try to) open this file, not some expensive officeware...

(Not that I can say anything about that since I won't buy Excel either--seems like a royal rip to me!)

But when it's time to "get serious" it's good to know that MySQL can open any feed.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Nope, Excel. I will see what I can do but so far, no good.

I am starting to sus[ect that I need to add more something or other to my computer.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Nope, Excel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops, glad I said "practically" stake money, instead of betting!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am starting to sus[ect that I need to add more something or other to my computer.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on Ssanf!
    You're making DOLLARS off those sites, INVEST in some RAM.

I'd agree the amount of available RAM is likely to be the problem.

I'm using Windows XP Home, with 1 gigabyte of RAM, and the feed opens fine for me. I just tell Excel it's in "pipe-delimited" format and off it goes.

-- Mike

"Men travel faster now, but I do not know if they go to better things."
    -- Willa Cather

11. Newsletter Signup