Thread: BettyMills Q4 DataFeed

Affiliate Manager
    We are in process of updating the new datafeed for Q4. It should be ready in the next few days.

Stay tuned.

Is it soup yet?

Affiliate Manager
    Q4 Datafeed is up and ready to be downloaded.

The generic zip file will be updated shortly.

Please update your websites as soon as possible. We've added over 800 new products.

Products include:
    Duramax Sheds
    Training Videos from D2K

Lots of exciting things are happening here at BettyMills this quarter. Be on the lookout for new product promotions and contests as well as new FPC's and banners.

Any news about the generic feed?

Affiliate Manager
    The generic feed is up and ready.

What is a generic feed?

Affiliate Manager
    The generic feed is a version (no embedded affiliate ID) of our two datafeeds in zip format.

Your custom Affiliate ID is not included in the URL, so you must search and replace on the website_url in column A to include your own BettyMills affiliate ID.

We have this feed available for affiliates that may experience download problems due to a slow connection or when using dial up.

Happy Friday!

Thanks for changing column names again. A lot of extra work. That's why I don't update every quarter.

Can you create a PIPE delimeted Generic feed because I cannot use the csv feed. MS Access is making a mess of the feed, because Access uses every comma as a separator.

It imports to Access okay for me. Did you set the text qualifer?

No I didn't, because I thought all fields should have text qualifer. Now I tried it, and it solved the problem. Thanks Jane.

What have you done with the description fields ("Extended detail"). Many fields are cut off at a certain length. They are now ending with something like "Sheet Tray Capacit"

On the BM site, the bulleted lines have breaks on every line. But not on the feed. Any reason for this? It doesn't look good now.

Glad I could help Uphill, since I am pretty much a database dummy. Do you have Excel? I opened the feed in Access today because it is easier to pull out just the parts I want. I think Access has a limit on how much stuff can be in a field and my guess is that is why things are being cut off? I also saw lots of strange characters that don't show up when I open it in Excel

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Uphill, Jane...

Try this: www.textpad.com

Your RAM is your limit, can sort by anything, change cases, and supports html.

I've been using it daily for years....

Good stuff...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Try this...

Access fields with the data type set to Text are limited to 255 characters [or the number specified in Field Size, whichever is smaller]. Try to insert longer strings into a text field, and you'll either get an error message or have the data cut off at the 255-character point.

There is an easy [and easily-overlooked] way around this limitation, though: set your field's data type to Memo. Memo fields are much more generous, allowing you up to 65,535 alphanumeric characters.

Thanks Andy, but I want to do more than sort. With access it is easy to run a query and create a seperate table with just chairs for example. Then I can figure out what to do with it without having to scroll through 30,000 products at one time. My feeble mind can only handle so much. Wish my brain had as much ram as my computer!

Here I am stuck at work with no access or excel, going to try out your textpad Andy.

The feed is just as good or bad as the previous one. I use Excel to search and replace various problematic characters and duplicate subcategories. The tab delimited txt file imports into WebMerge like a charm. Trick is to keep a list of every search/replace that you need to make and refer to it if you have to repeat the process.
    [URL=http://www.netmagellan.com/]Net Magellan blog[/URL]

I just got and cleaned the new generic feed, went to run it in webmerge and not one of the website urls will work!! What did I do wrong?

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I just got and cleaned the new generic feed, went to run it in webmerge and not one of the website urls will work!! What did I do wrong?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Did you replace the "Insert-ID" with your affiliate ID?

Of course, I did that first.
    O my, momentary lapse of reason, whatever it was, it works now &lt;sheepishly&gt;

20. Newsletter Signup