Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***** out BettyMills thread...

I have not heard much of anything negative about our program lately, and we want to hear the good, bad and the ugly whenever we can- So here is a ripe holiday opportunity for anyone who has a gripe about the BettyMills program to '***** us out'

Go ahead and read us the Riot Act on anything we do, that just makes you wish we were dipped in a vat of warm cow poop.

We are big boys and girls here so let's hear it.

Hopefully we will learn a few things about how to better our program for the benefit of all of our affiliates.

Speak now or forever hold your peace!!
    Victor Hanna, The BettyMills Company
    Home of Snack Rewards and the Double Markdown!
    Affiliate Login: http://www.GetBetty.com
    Signup Page: https://getbetty.com/affiliate_signup.aspx
    Home Page BettyMills.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Gee Victor, you just took all the fun out of *****ing on the boards by asking folks to.

In the words of Pat Benetar,

Hit me with your best shot!
    Home Page BettyMills.com

I suggest you rebuild the site with an entirely new look and feel. The bettymills.com web site is so 1999ish in style. It may explain the lower-than-average conversions that I have found with bettymills' affiliate program. At the very least, change the font on the left menu. It is different than the rest of the site and is quite unattractive.

Anyway, you started the thread. Basically, the site sux. Get a new one. It can be done quickly, easily, and cheaply, and will probably double your conversion rates accross the board. Remember to give me a bonus.

I'm not an affiliate or a customer, but I could have been. I was searching for an item. You had the item. You had a decent price. Then I saw your shipping. $12.95!!!

I found the same item for about the same price elsewhere, added a small item to hit $25, and got it shipped for free.

As a lost customer, I won't be back. I can get the same prices elsewhere plus get free shipping.

As a non-affiliate, I won't be joining your program. The conversion ratio suffers tremendously with inflated shipping charges. Conversely, free shipping greatly improves conversion ratios.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I'm sorry, but on a scale of one-to-ten, your site is a four. I really would wonder how much better your conversions would be if you had a first-class site.

Sorry for the strong words, but that's a reality check as far as I am concerned. Perhaps your business is more focused on existing customers, call-in customers and/or other sales channels - I don't know. I do know the website needs work desperately.

Having said that, everything else is great

Fred

Having a chance to read Michael's post, I have to add that free (or really cheap) shipping is very important to the small businesses I have spoken to (about business in general, not just BM.).

Again, maybe your firm's focus is on a different market, and that doesn't matter to you. For small orders though, it's a deal breaker. Tiger Direct suffers from the same problem.

Fred

Change the freaking logo !

PLEASE!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I agree with everyone, its about time that your site needs a make over. Nice professional looking site does convert well as it builds a customer confidence - "ok this site is handled by some professional and so will be my order". First impression is the last impression and its so much true in online business.

By offering flat shipping of $12.95 maybe BM only wants to concentrate on bulk orders, but if you want to reach the daily house hold list then you need to do some working on your shipping charges. Obviously, its your priority which market you want to concentrate on. But get more affiliates to participate in your program you really need to look in to this issue.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah that logo is for biscuit mix or "I can't believe it's not home made" soup.

Michael is absolutely right about the shipping...

Even when your prices are competitive, the
    shipping charges make your final price way to high...

And absolutely ditto on the one eyebrow logo...!
    Looks like Aunt Jamima or Betty Crocker of the 30's and 40's...
    Change it to something a little more modern...

I wouldn’t have said anything before... but you asked for it...
    <Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    Change the freaking logo !

PLEASE! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I ditto this and told Andy so when I first looked at the program. "Betty" has got to go!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Oh stop picking on poor Betty! The site isn't pretty but it is easy to navigate which is what counts. Many people around here have always said ugly sites sell better. Before spending a small fortune on redesign,I would like to see better product images. Why show a red chair when the text says they are buying a black chair?

I would like separate data feeds. One for office products and one for cleaning supplies. Uploading the entire data feed at one time sometimes doesn't work.

Make it even easier to build a data feed site. Provide extremely detailed step-by-step instructions.
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

I agree with Jane... leace betty alone.... I personally like the retro look.... after all we're selling mops and cleaning supplies... not DVD's...

the problem I have is ... I cant get it to convert... I created a website... dedicated 500bm of disk space... I can get'em to my site... but the just don't buy... I gotta believe the shipping charge is scaring them away...

Dont get me wrong... I like the idea of selling mops... just wish i would actually make a sale...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

ABW Ambassador
    I can't download a pipe delimited data feed to save my life. I have tried every week or 10 days for a couple of months.

I just went to try it again and I cant even get to the datafeed page..

opening page......... ...... .. ....... ... ....

Jane, ugly affiliate sites work. NOT ugly merchant sites. When people visit an ugly site they want to leave. In the case of an ugly affiliate site they leave and go to the merchant.

The datafeed is large. It is very difficult to deal with it when you cannot download it directly from your server. In other words, please set up zip files in all formats that can be downloaded by ftp.

A redesign can be done for under 1000 dollars.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Oh Boy Vic,

You went ahead and opened the can of worms didn't you.....

I know from a fact that the "Betty logo" was a personal creation and as per Victor, at least in the past, wasn't going to change....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

This is piddly but when you email that I have made a sale, I want to know how much I earned not how much I sold.

I open the mail and see the number and always think that is my commish. Then, realize it isn't and get disappointed.

Also, I then have to either go to your site to see the commish or try to remember the rate and figure out the "real" number.

Seeing the amount sold and then sitting and figuring how little of it is mine always remeinds me that your commission rate is on the low side. That is far from motivating.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Keep the comments coming! We are listening!

My initial response:

We began the process of a complete site rework/redesign in September 2004. We broke ground on the new code base November 1. We will release more ETA info as things start to firm up.

Don't count on the logo changing. Our customers absolutely love Betty and she ain't going away anytime soon Take it for what it's worth, but Betty represents old fashion values, much of which has slipped away from today's high-tech world, yet we find many still yearn for. Most of what we hear about our brand is overwhelmingly positive. I'm just calling it as I see it.

We do focus on larger business orders and less on the consumer market. Our freight program results in much higher order values. Higher average order values = better operating efficiency = ability to be more competetive.

We have some of the best industry pricing in many key categories, and a *very* juicy average order size. We would prefer to let our competitors give away freight and they can handle the tiny orders

BTW- Our studies indicate that customers who place small orders, don't necessarily grow into large customers. Some of our affiliates will tell you that many of their orders can be rather hefty and make up for a bucket full of otherwise tiny orders.

Separating datafeeds is a very good idea. We do have a separator flag (1 or 2) in the datafeed so you can break them apart with a simple sort. We will take a look at separate uploads.

Regarding pictures -I agree, in some cases the picture will represent the general model type, but we call out the different colors in the text. This is sometimes a limitation of what artwork is provided by a manufacturer, and also one of the challenges with working with 33,000 items. Having said that, I think you will see lots of improvement in the product pictures in 2005. Hang in there.

Keep those love letters coming! All of this is great feedback!

Regards,
    Home Page BettyMills.com

By the time I got done writing that, there were a bunch more comments already!

I'll get to those next go round.

Keep Firing away!

Regards,
    Home Page BettyMills.com

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Not to sidetract the topic...

They do have great sheds....

Pictures of Andy's new outdoor shed coming very soon....

PITA to build, 5,000 parts, but was fun....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Thanks Andy,

Betty is I believe the largest online shed reseller in the USA. I don't know of any business that sells more sheds online that Betty. Some of you already know that

- Separately in response to a comment on access to our feed, we STILL are having intermittent, but very persistent problems with access to the 'custom' datafeed.

In the meantime, use the generic datafeed and just add your affiliate ID and it will work exactly the same as the custom feed.

Take my word for it, that this is a super high priority issue and it's being worked on and will get fixed soon. It actually has to do with the magnitude of the feed that is causing most of the access issues.

Regards,
    Home Page BettyMills.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In the meantime, use the generic datafeed and just add your affiliate ID and it will work exactly the same as the custom feed.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have tried in the past but i ran into problems. If i remember correctly, it was a CSV file that had stray ,'s and "'s that screwed with the formatting and proper importing of the file. I have been using the |(pipe) delimited to ensure import integrity.

I have not been able to import this entire quarter and sales have gone down to zip because of it... but its not because of a lack of trying on my part.

track phone orders
    dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast