I've been playing around this last month placing ads on google's adwords campaign's and have been having some real good success, but only with CJ merchants and not BeFree merchants. I was hoping someone could answer a question I have about BeFree. I think the problem may be that to put direct links on google, you need to do away with the impression gif and I have a sneaking feeling that BeFree won't count a sale if the impression isn't registered.

Does a user need to view the impression gif for a sale to count on BeFree? I know this isn't the case on CJ because I can still get merchants to convert even when I just use the link provided. Likewise, does share-a-sale/linkshare have the same limitation?

The only time I've ever gotten credit for a reporting.net sale is if I'm actually counting impressions. I have a directory listing site where I decided it was simpler to just use the link and it doesn't work. Likewise, on google's adwords, you can put in direct befree links for specific search terms, but there's no way to include the impression gif. After weeks of great conversions with CJ and no conversions with Linkshare or beFree, I've come away with the feeling that you need to be counting impressions for sales to register.

Hoping someone can clear this issue up for me and set the record straight.

BeFree merchants will do everything they possibly can not to pay you. With BeFree's blessings of course.

Well, I actually do get paid by most BeFree merchants I partner with...eventually and can get traffic to convert when I use the exact html code I'm given.

However, this impression thing is bugging me. Technically, I'm not supposed to be modifying the link code they give me. If I were on the other end (programming an affiliate software package), I might put in some restriction that would prevent a sale if the impression didn't register.

I'm not upset with BeFree about this, just wanted to know if what I'm trying to do is possible or not. If it's not possible, I won't try or I'll change my linking strategy to something that'll work.

ABW Ambassador
    I think that you are correct in your assumption. We were once using a banner rotator that did not like the 1x1 image they put in there...it would push the banner up out of the Iframe we were using (you could only see the bottom half of the banner). I tried it without the gif and we saw a drastic drop in sales....I'd say it has everything to do with that gif...I believe they still register the sale, but the merchant could reverse that sale since there was no impression.

Tom Pyles

milesm,

It has bothered me for ages!

I can also tell you that as WMike said, they will find an out, and guess what ... it is the 1X1!

Always stay clear of it, unless you control the environment (your site and can load the 1X1 on bottom).

CYA ~ It is your money to make or loose, KWIM?

Haiko

Thanks for the feedback Haiko. Do you know if this is an issue with Linkshare as well? I guess I could spend a few dollars to see, but just want to save myself the trouble.

I think that I can probably accomplish what I want by simply inserting my own blank page in between that has a meta redirect that waits a second or so and loads the impression gif. Of course, then I'll end up having a 100% impression/click ratio which could also cause problems.

I'm going to try that for one of my links as a test to see if I start seeing sales.

milesm,

I have seen it go both ways on LS, best bet once again is to always include the 1X1 on all, put it in the footer on the FP that is good enough, even if they never click the specific merchant link, BTW - Shareasale doesn't use it.

The bottom line is while some transactions still track on the different networks, a merchant may (and has every right to because of the terms) invalidate a/any sale because the 1X1 was not included. :eek:

Haiko

What I do just in case is find a page on one of my sites somewhere that gets more hits than clickthrus I get off the affiliate tracking url and I put the gif in there at the bottom 1x1. You can use that to make the clickthru rate appear to be realistic but you must first do a little math to make sure you don't put the gif on a page that gets less views than clickthrus. This has always worked for me so I'm asuuming it works. I know we are not suppose to modify the code technically, but I've never gotten any grief as of yet. Basically they really don't have a reason to ***** as you are still sending them traffic nonetheless.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You can bet that Todd and the CJ tecchie crew know all the ends and outs of the BeFree 1x1 pixel and reporting snafus. They play fair and kind of like the fact that BeFree could care less about implimenting their own version of EPC. Only the parasites and super affiliates get the BeFree network wide stats so they can pin point those who convert.

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Don Steitz:
    You can use that to make the clickthru rate appear to be realistic

I don't know the inside of the reporting net program, but I would think a savvy merchant might match the IPs of impressions and click thrus, and deny commission.

With respect to the 1x1 pixel:

Click and order tracking through the Be Free system is not effected when an affiliate has removed the 1x1 pixel that tracks impressions.

You should still see any clicks or sales reported.

The impact tot he affiliate who removes the 1x1 pixel is the inability to compare clicks and sales to impressions in reports.

-- Jenn

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread