Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-864086.html

Scumware that steals affiliate links! For who??? Who is mentioned in the article??!?!?!?!?!?!?

BeFree.

I am dropping all of my befree affiliates now. No second chance, BeFree knew what they were doing. Who needs hundreds of smaller affiliates when they can just get one super affiliate?

DROP BEFREE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every dime you make them is just being used to screw you over.

Chet

quote:
    Griffin said the technology is simply taking the old affiliate referral program to a new level.

Yeah, the level of a felony compared to a misdemeanor.

I don't think BeFree is the only third party affected here. It can potentially steal from any affiliate, can it not?

You've got to be kidding!
    How long are these cowboys going to be able to do what they want with the web.

Our protests on scumware fall on deaf ears, too many pockets are being lined sure it's still early days online but enough is enough!

Quote:["By invisibly inserting the redirect into Web surfers' browsers, StreamCast can make it look like it is referring traffic to shopping Web sites without the shopper ever being aware that the Morpheus technology was involved."]
    Grrrrrr

ABW Ambassador
    Can soneone explain what the article means in plain English and how this affects affiliates and the merchants?

After two readings I think it means that whenever the user tries to go to a merchant site, the program causes a redirect thru a Befree affiliate link (probably other affiliate networks are involved too). Is this correct?

If correct I will be saying goodbye to all Befree programs which includes some of my top performers like Tiger Direct, Staples, etc.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    ValueClick/BeFree seem to be on a path to negate their reliance on small site affiliates. They knew that we would wake up eventually but those who pay their fees (merchants) are stupid if they think the resulting network isn't out to rape them with phoney stats and parasite warez campaigns. The hell with having to pay out 50,000 checks for 25.00 each to crybaby affiliates when we can write 10 checks to the best of the hijackers.

We aren't looking to offer hibred deals to affliates unless they can produce 200,000 unique clicks a month. Scumwarez is good since it allows us to keep all our cash and we can PR spin the remaining merchants into running spamm and parasite campaigns. Hell if Dealtime can charge merchants 1.00 per click and pay out a measly 5 cents per click ..so should we. Hell it's Bidness and we are only after the easy money.

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

quote:
    Originally posted by jimbo2002:

After two readings I think it means that whenever the user tries to go to a merchant site, the program causes a redirect thru a Befree affiliate link (probably other affiliate networks are involved too). Is this correct?

I would like to know the answer to this too. Does this mean that if I have an affiliate link with a befree merchant, and someone clicks on that link, that link will be redirected to whoever?

Or is it link the old scumware where they change your banners? Or use a popup?

Please, can someone explain, where I can understand what exactally this is going to do.

Thanks so much!!
    Vicki :-)

ABW Ambassador
    jimbo, I think the source of all the confusion is because the author of the article either can't write or doesn't know anything about the topic.

But the fact is, there is no evidence, from THIS article, that this software will steal referals from originating affiliates. Does it seem like a logical step and does that fact that there is no attempt to distance this newbie from other parasiteware bode well? I think not and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if it turned into total parasiteware in the April release (the release where it will include "rewards" -- currently it just collects data).

But, it appears, FOR NOW, that BeFree is affiliated only with the data collection aspects, not anything stealing money from us.

Does this mean I support BeFree's actions? Absolutely not. This is a very slippery slope and I seriously doubt that BeFree will take a stance against this turning into parasiteware any more than they have taken a stance against WhenU and TopText.

It's time for Jenn to step in here and let us know BeFree's stance... owait, we know already know that -- they don't care one bit if they are supporting software that steals from affiliates -- they still get their cut.

And just who are the OTHER networks associated with this junk? Time for some research.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    StreamCast is working with a marketing company called Wurld Media. When the full marketing program launches in April, Griffin said the affiliate program that sends Morpheus users to participating shopping sites will provide them with some reward in return. He declined to give any further details, however.
    hmmm... did anyone else notice that "Wurld Media" is not hyperlinked to the Wurld Media web site (unusual for news.com)... I can't find them anywhere (I've found a couple of Wurld Medias, but I don't think they're the one mentioned).

This, also, does note bode well.

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: Cedric ]

ABW Ambassador
    Quoting the news.com article:

quote:
    Affiliate relationships, such as those pursued by Amazon.com and others, often pay Web sites for referring traffic in their direction. By invisibly inserting the redirect into Web surfers' browsers, StreamCast can make it look like it is referring traffic to shopping Web sites without the shopper ever being aware that the Morpheus technology was involved.

This makes it sound like they are indeed going to try to collect the affiliate commission.

But why would the merchants stay with Befree if it is aiding this firm in collecting commissions on sales it does not even refer?

The whole point of affiliate marketing is for the advertiser to get new leads, but this seems to be an attempt to collect fees even when they do not refer the sale.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <<<< For the record >>>>

Tiger stood up against WhenU and Savenow and will continue to stand against scumwear. We are closely monitoring this situation and will act immediately if we notice any activity that will imply that our partners are being denied or robbed of their commissions. TigerDirect will not allow parasitewear to affect our releationships with you, our affiliate partners.

FYI, We will soon be offering another affiliate program solution as well as BF, so many of you will have a choice and an option.

To our success,

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    But why would the merchants stay with Befree if it is aiding this firm in collecting commissions on sales it does not even refer?
    I have no idea. But keep in mind, the article doesn't say that BeFree will participate in the affiliate portion of the program.

Come on, Jenn, just how deep will BeFree get into bed with this new scum?

Cedric,

quote:
    how deep will BeFree get into bed with this new scum?

I think they are taking the Ad Network initiative to say to hell with affiliates and will spearhead the thrust towards super affiliates only. So far, only LS took a stance, we know that BeFree and CJ love and support these Parsites.

It's going to get ugly!

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    I think the redirecting of the click mentioned in the article very much says the will be rerouting any traffic to the target site. So my bandwidth, my time, my playing with searchengines - to get traffic will all be stolen at the last moment.

Nice.

I went into the morpheus chat rooms last night when this first broke and everyone was telling any new person coming on to uninstall morpheus. This morning? one mention of the article or spyware and you get banned - for being off topic. Even the chat ops are corporate shills.

Wurld Media http://www.wurldmedia.com
    Michelle Grey
    Director, Corporate Communications
    63 Putnam Street
    Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
    518-691-1100
    518-691-1180

ABW Ambassador
    By the way - you can call be free - for free at 888-421-4548

ABW Ambassador
    One last one to add since they hide it. Music city which is morpheus - the president is steven griffin.

His number is (615) 261-0235 ex 107.

Be polite - but be firm - this man is trying to steal your work.

Chez

ABW Ambassador
    wurldmedia.com

I searched on it as two words. Thanks for the link.

Haiko, I think you're right.

ABW Ambassador
    But that paragraph is an interpretation by the article's author on what streamcast "can" do, not what it actually does. Not that I think they won't...

The lukewarmly good news is AdAware appears to have added WurldMedia to it's detection/removal system yesterday... It's not much, but it's more than nothing.

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: Cedric ]

ABW Ambassador
    I'd really like to hear Befree's position on this.

The article suggests that Befree if facilitating fraud on its advertisers in that users would not be clicking thru affiliate links. In fact there is no referal involved.

Whenu was similar in that there was presumably no referal involved for many of their commissions (the users were already on the advertiser site).

But some of the affiliate managers either do not understand this or else they take part in order to make themselves look more valuable to the company.

If you noticed in the article Morpheous got pulled off the network devised by the same people who wrote the code for TopText/Ezula and others for payment issues. This group both sells the licenses and provides hosting for their parasite warez customers. Do you really think that Morpheous, who stiffed the ones behind this scumware, is going to install and have online a new package that isn't pure D parasite warez? Hell no.

They will have a "super affiliate" status with BeFree/valueClick and CJ allowing them automatic incent offers and product links updated nightly. ShopNow, Dealtime and others get these for a fee. If I only knew which merchants they reject all offers on because of piss poor conversions I could weed those out of my Malls. Gator knows, but won't tell, since those shoddy merchants have to use an alternate private network to upload and track sales to even be considered.

I wonder how long it will be before Valueclick jumps on board the scum wagon, since they are buying befree, they had to know about his deal.

When you look at the logic of this buyout you realize the BeFree execs wanted out with a Golden Parachute and immediate dumping of their personal shares when the price rose on the announcement. Why else in these days of DotCom bombs and Enron's would a cash rich company even listen to selling out for stock certificates. VC needed some technology to FEED the scumlords who get labeled as "super affiliates".

PPC sucked due to fraud and they had their plan in place to eliminate OnResponse personel and some BeFree duplications. Setting up hybred deals to Portals and the likes of Gator doesn't require people. They will emerge as an enabler of parasite/scumware vendors cause they know they need mass quantities of traffic ( like spammers) to entice merchant advertisers. Has nothing to do with sales since BF always sucked on conversion ratios or they'd publish results.

"When installed by Morpheus, the Wurld Media BHO causes addresses including radioshack.com, ebay.com, amazon.com, and toysrus.com, among others, to be intercepted and redirected to the shopping sites through affiliate marketing systems run by LinkShare Corp. and Be Free, Inc."
    More info: http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/175305.html
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: Sve ]

ABW Ambassador
    Linkshare?

So they've chosen to try to endear themselves and ally surfers fears with the "No Spyware" tag, but fail to show a privacy policy...good one Ollie!!!

And don't you just love spin "enhancement for the community" quote...which community - the thieving dot com cowboys!

You said it Haiko, "This is going to get nasty"

I'm sure their MO is to turn the entire web into one generic shopping mall.

I firmly believe shoppers don't always want generic shopping malls & it's for the same reason "mom & pop" stores continue to survive today, the personal touch!

So, we've got to get it to the people again, just like we did with Kaaza and explain their shopping rights and freedom of choice are being compromised.

ABW Ambassador
    I spoke with a woman at linkshare and they insist they would not allow this and were blindsided by this. I am trying to get an official comment from their legal dept for a story i am a running.

Chez

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast