Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    When I tried to log into reporting.net today BeFree interupts the login with a new abusive privacy request!! In order to get to your reports BeFree is requiring you furnish them with verifiable information including..
    Your Full Name and address and Phone #
    The Name of your Bank and branch routing #
    Your Bank Account #
    Your social Security Number

Basically all the information need to perform IDENTITY THEFT and sellable privacy info for Telemarketers and spammers. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

ABW Ambassador
    Aren't they just asking us to confirm information that they ALREADY HAVE on file, just to make sure it is up-to-date?

At least that's the impression I got. Maybe I'm missing something? I had an address change a few months ago - what if I forgot to update my contact info with affiliate networks who owe me money? I have already received an email from another program because my check from them was returned as undeliverable.

ABW Ambassador
    I just got a request for an update of existing info, as well. Nothing untoward.

The only reason of asking for Banking information is that tidbit is worth 5 times more to telemarketers, Insurance Co's. and a pile of e-mail list brokers. They sell me nothing to require devulging enough banking info to get a automatic funds transfer. Name address and phone # plus SS# ...that's the limit.

[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

quote:
    Originally posted by Cedric:
    I just got a request for an update of existing info, as well. Nothing untoward.

I agree, this is not the first time I have seen this "account info confirmation page". Mike, I understand your trepidations but I must side with the "Honesty" angle on this one.

Haiko

Haiko;
    The detailed banking information is a required field ..not optional. What purpose is served, for "honesty's sake", in having an advertising company like ValueClick making a database of all their affiliates banking information and SS#. This gives them immediate access to credit reports and if the file was sold to multiple bidders the ability of it falling into the hands of thieves is very high.

If it wasn't being sold off why would the mark those fields as "must fill"? Parallel my concern with having all ABW members required to furnish bank account info and their SS# to participate in this forum.

[ 06-15-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I have to agree with Mike on the security issues. No matter what the original intention, I'm not giving out that info just to see my reports. I can deal with not knowing if a 2c click fluked in on my one Oversure box! I hadn't checked since I stopped promoting that page anyway.

Except for when a place is going to do direct deposits, there is no need for them to know my banking information. And direct deposit places always ask for the info seperately, and offer the option of checks or PayPal for those who don't want to give it out.

quote:

Your Bank Account #

That's odd - I don't remember being asked for those two, nor did I provide them. I just clicked "Update" and I was in.

Looks like my mission is accomplished. For the first time that privacy info is not asked for the get at reports. Maybe someone jumped the gun seekingg that informations prior to launching a optional direct deposit new feature. That would be the only reason to ever require banking information.

[ 06-16-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I have to agree with Mike on the security issues.
    I would too if I had been asked for any such info. I think what others are saying is not that such asking is a non-issue, but that we weren't asked.

Amazing that the only PR ValueClick/BeFree is getting these days is on the front page of F**kedcompany.com 2 times in one week ...eeeek. The CFO is resigning ..hope he leaves some cash behind!

[ 06-22-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

My BeFree/Overture affiliate check is over 5 weeks late! Not a good sign for this company!
    Watch Out!

Well folks the complete privacy violation screen is back up again at Reporting.net this morning. Just putting in your SS# or Federal ID# and verifying your username/password isn't enough! They want all your banking information to complete a identity theft portfolio.

What's the open market value to Telemarketers -Credit Card and credit report wanks -Mortage and loan companies -Advertising list brokers -Advertisers in general to have the following premium information shared with all BeFree/ValueClick merchants and their affiliated partnerships.

Your Full Name -confirmed e-mail -street address -Company info -SS# -Bank account#- Bank -branch routing #-Phone/fax numbers. One quick login to a gov't database and up comes the date of birth and full access to your complete credit report.

Is BeFree running a side program, we all get spammed on, offering to "investigate anyone" for 49.95?? It's nice the help popup explains their merchants want this information without specifically having to ask us permission for it! Bet the 320 defunct merchants there would love to get access to this file...maybe they still can ..for a fee!

quote:
    Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    When I tried to log into reporting.net today BeFree interupts the login with a new abusive privacy request!! In order to get to your reports BeFree is requiring you furnish them with verifiable information including..
    Your Full Name and address and Phone #
    Your Bank Account #
    Your social Security Number

Basically all the information need to perform IDENTITY THEFT and sellable privacy info for Telemarketers and spammers. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

I thought at first some trojan had hijacked my computer and would have sent the info to somewhere else other than BeFree.

But now I know that I'm not alone.

Yup, I agree that all that they wanted are sufficient to do an indentity theft. Plus, I don't believe the submission page is even secured.

What would be the best BeFree email address to send to? to give them a piece of our mind.
    anyone?

[ 06-28-2002: Message edited by: nighthawk ]

ABW Ambassador
    No such problem when I log in to BeFree, log-in is completely normal with no request for additional info.

On the pop-up page, I typed in just my current password, then clicked update.
    I still can't get in.

I don't really mind updating my info, but they should let me do it inside my account and not on a suspicious pop-up.

And this is not even a question of honesty. After all, why would one give a false info. You'll just be throwing your money away.

As of 12:00 PM
    In order to ensure that your account information is current, you will be asked to verify you information each year.

Please complete the following steps:
    Review your User Account information and update any incorrect information.
    At the bottom of this form, enter your current password (to verify your identity), even if you did not make any updates.
    Click Update My Profile.

If you need to change any information not listed here, contact each of your merchant partners and notify them of the change. If you are changing your site URL, you must also contact each of your merchant partners and notify them of the change.
    WebSite Information

Site Name:
    Site URL:

Primary Contact

Name:
    Title:
    Phone: Fax:
    E-mail:

Pay To Information

Pay To Name:

Pay To Information

Address 1:
    Address 2:
    City:
    State

Bank Information *required

Bank Name:
    Branch Sort Code:
    Account Number:
    Bank Country: Select a

Tax Information *required

Tax Classification: Select

Tax Identification Number [Business/Individual]:

Trade Registration Number:

Log On Information

etc etc.

If any field is not filled in you cannot get to your links or reports

As of 12:15 PM EDT no problem logging in; took me immediately to the Your Merchant Partners page. Same thing early this morning although I do remember having to re-enter my username/password when it usually auto-fills.

This was at the top of the Your Merchant Partnerss page:
    "Systems will be undergoing maintenance from 12:00 AM to 2:00 AM (ET) on June 28, 2002. We regret any inconvenience. "

But the pop-up window does sound fishy Nighthawk ... does it look like it belongs to the BeFree website, or could it possibly a trojan horse of some sort that is on your system?

I have to correct myself. It's not a pop-up window.

It's a page that comes after I tried to log-in, wherein I am being asked to verify my account information, and I think this is the same page that you're talking about.

But here's why I think it is suspicious.

First of all, why am I being asked to verify my account info in an unsecured page that's not within the account itself.

Secondly, I have already typed in my password when I tried to log in, so why am I being asked to type it again to complete the verification.

(It would appear like an interception of a log-in, presenting the user with a trojan page, and sending that page to who knows where. I am not a computer programmer by training or profession so I really don't know if that is possible or not)

Bear in mind there are very sensitive infos on that page: the s.s. number, the account password, and the address which is becoming an important verification item for credit card issuers.

And third, the page states that the verification is done yearly. I think this is the second time in a few months that this page has appeared.

I got the same page back when this first started a couple weeks ago. It had the password field at the bottom, but it also said that if there was nothing to update, just hit the Update button. So that's exactly what I did and I've not had a problem since then. It was the same page I'd gotten when I first signed up, and the same one that I updated my new telephone info on.

Is the reason you think this may be an unsecured page because of not seeing https:// in the browser address bar?

It would be nice if someone from BeFree would drop in to clear this up, if only to let us know that it indeed isn't some sort of hacking attempt.

quote:
    Originally posted by eaglefire:
    ... but it also said that if there was nothing to update, just hit the Update button...

That's even more suspicious.

Let your imagination fly a little bit. That could mean sending your info to where?

I guess it didn't seem as suspicious to me because I am a web developer with programming background. I never feel secure giving my SS number, etc, but I saw nothing out of line in the form that I was presented with. It was already populated with my information; I didn't have to fill in anything, not even my password or username. That means it was retrieved from a database that already had the info. Whoever it was being sent to already had all the information and in fact was presenting it back to me. All I did was hit "Update" and that was it.

[ 06-28-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

The info that populated the form may have come from BeFree's database, or it may have been stored in your computer earlier.

But the fact that we are being forced to hit "update" even if there is nothing to update means that the info is bound to be sent somewhere, not necessarily back to BeFree.

quote:
    or it may have been stored in your computer earlier.

Not here. I never store sensitive data on my systems; not even my phone number and address. I clean out on a regular basis (cookies included) and very little makes it past my firewall. The data was being presented for verification and it had to have come from the BF database because there is no way all that was on my system.

Well this darn screen has 8 times displayed and refuses to update if I fill in all the fields except the sensitive banking information fields used for remote funds transfers -Account name and type(business/individual) -Bank name -address of branch -branch routing # -account # and no option to use even a credit card to verify.

This folks, along with the SS# and address phone info,in anyones hands who you don't know and actually buy products from ( Ie Sears -Walmart) is a deadly identity theft vehicle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast