Does BeFree track properly?

My friend has placed 2 orders through Dell Business, and 2 orders through Staples and NONE of them showed up.

He doesn't have any of those link hijacking programs, he used IE 5.

I have been with BeFree for over a year. We do get commissions, but I just wonder how much gets lost???

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I haven't shown a sale for Dell since November 2001 and Staples has never recorded a sale for my 3 Cybermalls in 14 months. If the merchant is a recognized brand name with a short URL never promote them since they are only advertising. It saves having to wait on e-mail requests that just verify no one is home there.

Notice how not one word ever gets posted by a major brand merchant on any affiliate board?? They only lurk and treat us like carpetbaggers in their parking lots.

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

Hey there- we do not require merchants to disclose both orders and sales information. An order is when the customer makes the purchase and a sale is when the merchant ships the order. You may be looking at a report that only shows a sale when the item ships. In many cases, the merchant will hold on reporting until the credit card is approved or the item is in stock, etc. If this is still not the case with what you are describing, please let us know and we will look into it as quickly as possible. Thanks!

BeFree might want to kick someone at Dell into actually batching sales activity since Jan 1st 2002.

Revenue (Summary)
    EcomCity -worlds most complete shopping community
    From 01/01/2002 To 06/06/2002
    Affiliate Site # Shipments Shipped Sales # Returns Returned Sales Net Sales Site Revenue
    EcomCity- worlds most complete shopping community 0 $0.00 0 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
    Total 0 $0.00 0 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00

Now they do get some FREE advertising from normal affiliates but they reserve the rights to show up on Morpheus -ShopNow -eBates -Gator and every other link hijacker program to deplete affiliates chances of getting a sale. My stats show I only gave them 126,000 impressions and 392 clicks during that period ..my bad! But their diversion tactics -2 programs at Ls and BF -no product links to get high conversion landing pages make Dell small business suck in comparision to alternatives like TigerDirect. Now if Dell agreed to pay all affiliates within 30 days of close dates...not their current policy of 2 1/2 months later they might attract more affiliates.

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

Mike,

quote:
    Now they do get some FREE advertising from normal affiliates but they reserve the rights to show up on Morpheus -ShopNow -eBates -Gator and every other link hijacker program to deplete affiliates chances of getting a sale.

Dell is the biggest ParasiteWare(TM) advertiser ... I'm sure that most of your clicks went to the parasites! :eek:

Haiko

I agree Haiko and you can bet some wank affiliate management firm is running the Dell programs at BF & LS. Now the Dell people also have decided their are no product links and the only revolving banners are to "incent" specials with landing pages that divert sales to 800#. They popup live help or easy finance alerts when your in the shopping cart with a "scare tactic" security window. They also disguise the detail shopping page link on landing pages to divert affiliate visitors to the finance options page promoting monthly payments at the 800# outsourced call center. They favorite trick is running 2 seperate programs at BF & LS so your shoppers navigate their site and you don't get credit if they shopper doesn't click on the appropriate banner.

I've fought them for years to no avail over delayed payments -diversion -non-tracked sales my clients made from clicking my links. Their entire affiliate efforts are with the scumware/parasites. Andy can out sell Dells's best deal any how so why bother.

[ 06-08-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

ABW Ambassador
    I am also having the same problems with Dell (small) Business! I have people who I *watched* make an order and yet it does not show up. I see Impressions and Click Throughs out the wazoo, but, no sales. What is going on??

quote:
    Hey there- we do not require merchants to disclose both orders and sales information. An order is when the customer makes the purchase and a sale is when the merchant ships the order. You may be looking at a report that only shows a sale when the item ships. In many cases, the merchant will hold on reporting until the credit card is approved or the item is in stock, etc. If this is still not the case with what you are describing, please let us know and we will look into it as quickly as possible. Thanks!

Ok so where are these order reports? I only see Sales and Revenue. What is the difference? I always assumed sales was for pre-ship... but I'm not showing a thing there either.

[other questions about befree reports moved to another thread..]

Thanks,
    Joseph

Would someone at Dell -BeFree -Linkshare like to verify to this group that their shopping cart can simultaniously report and track sales from Linkshare or Befree? My contention is they cannot and therefore have to remove or diable the network sales reporting tags on alternating periods. Can Overstock show sales on both BeFree and Linkshare and maybe cannot show ANY SALES if both tags are present?? I see other posts here from new merchants wanting to join multiple newtorks and the dummies can't even verify their shopping carts can support multiple network sales reporting tags.

I know of only one shopping cart/e-catalog service that has a built in utility to support multiple network tags ....Americart.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, Dell uses befree for Dell business, and LS for Dell Home. Are you saying that at any given time Dell can't track half of its affiliates?

I understand that if someone clicks through from LS to Dell Home and then clicks the Dell Business tab and makes a purchase - no credit. (lame as hell).

But it seems like you are saying that even if they go through LS and purchase from Dell Home, the sale still may not be tracked if the cart is not in "linkshare mode" ??

Confused..as usual. lol. :confused:

ABW Ambassador
    I did a small test on Staples a year ago, and got 0% conversion on a few hundred clicks. This is what I hate most about beFree, there is no way to tell if a program is legit. If anyone has had good experience with Staples, I would like to know. Right now I have them pegged as bf garbage. I really suspect that a large number of BF merchants simply drop the affiliate tag, and never had an intention to pay commissions.

I have received a couple of checks from Staples over the past year.

I see Befree and Linkshare are mute on the challenge that no merchant using both networks with seperate reporting tags can track either sale from one shopping cart. I've tracked this for Overstock and not one sale has ever shown up off BeFree links since the end of March. Their program manager couldn't even get a test order to go through.

Till proof is provided I stand by my claim. Only one reporting tag can be present within the code of the confirmation page or ALL sales tracking gets negated!!!!!!!

Any Yahoo store merchant also has a serious problem outside of a CJ program. Their proprietary shopping cart can support only one outside reporting tag if specifically request it be added by their staff. If the Yahoo merchant clicks on activate their micky mouse Yahoo affiliate link tracking function all other tags are negated. You see folks the merchants who sign up on multiple pay-per-sale networks cannot guarantee tracking unless they randomly turn off all but one network tag!!

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

I have lost almost all faith in BeFree! I have removed links from all advertisers except for the two that have performed.

Thank you all for your feedback!

ABW Ambassador
    You have TWO BeFree merchants that perform!!! What are their names??? We need to inform the BeFree QA guy about these two companies at once so they can stop this.

Are you sure the companies aren't just in the bait phase of a bait and switch?

Merchant Trademark -branding- SE listing restrictions are the new weapon for negating affiliate commissionable sales. What next..no mentioning the brands being sold??

Over the last 14 months all R&D and add-ons to the major affiliate networks were funded to promote/automate the Duperaffiliates -parasites and scumware operators. The result of these gorilla marketers abuses is now millions have installed Ad blocking software that automatically block links from BeFree -CJ and Linkshare and the others. Everyday thousands more of our shoppers install Ad blocking software impacting our ability to earn commissions and generate clicks.
    Now that the networks, through the Eyeball monsters, have branched out into network supported e-mail marketers sending out billions of opt-out spamms they face getting all commercial e-mail blocked that contain affiliate coded links. People do not want to have Ads via portal sites or e-mails shoved in front of their faces 24/7. They will choose to shop on their own time frame not the desperate merchants time frame. It is a fact that at any given moment less than 1% of the online world gives a crap about your brand -your shopping site -your products or your coupon and incent offers. Same goes in the real world as cars pass by your storefront location, billboards and the mind ignors TV commercials and Ad print in newspapers. They shop when & where they choose and soon the consumer get's feed up with online Advertising trickery and just installs a Ad blocker for both their browser and e-mail program.

I guess I'll have to get completely upfront with my shoppers by calling some prominent merchants basically a complete waste of their time. Basically redue my Cybermalls approach of pointing shoppers to a variety of merchants. The merchants that scrape visitor's personal info and e-mail addresses, rather than offer real deals on quality merchandise from my links, will get exposed in my Merchant alerts. I'll earn the savvy shoppers trust, bookmark and loyality to my merchant choices, because they will not get the sleezebag gorilla marketers from clicking on one of my merchant links. Any merchant listed on a parasite program or opt-out e-mail marketers list get's blacklisted and exposed.

I'll blast the branders -Freebee adwarez virus downloaders -the spammer frontend Dupers, MLMers and those waste of time lead merchants who bury their real agenda under text spin drool. My honesty will overcome, thru a shopper "shock treatment", the eyeball factory approach and earn me bookmarks that overcome all SE weaknesses and rule changes and PPC merchant trademark restrictions.

If a merchant I display links for cannot show sales from my shoppers clicks then I'll rate them on my "savvy shopper" consumer satisfaction scale. MY shoppers vote with their network reported purchases. This will take some major restructuring from my current scattergun approach. I'll have to disclose the diversion tactics used by merchant's who are basically trustworthy, even if over-priced, informing my shoppers NOT TO fall for these non-commissionable actions. I'll also warn them not to signup for shared e-mail address blasts on their visit, if the merchant sells off or cross partners their list. Personally I'll signup with my merchant choices for their e-mail program to check for abusers. I'll solicate feedback from shoppers who get positive/negative feedback from my merchant selections or those alternatives they recommend and post this for all to see. I intend to add value to my shoppers clicks through outlining where the real buys are located at each merchant site and where they are better off shopping local stores for a better or equal price and return policy services. The categories that have no outstanding merchants, but get traffic, will get a monitized search box along with honest warnings that this section is full of snake oil salesmen with links to shopper alert sections. I'll also add in some e-commerce newsflashes and links to things like Lavasoft's Adaware program, and parasite/e-mail marketing schemes with cures or alternatives. If my shoppers appreciate my honest approach they will reward me with a bookmark or referral and shop my merchant selections. Hell ..I'll even throw in some non affiliate "new window" links to merchants with great sites and no program who my shoppers recommend.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread