I've checked my reports at BeFree and noticed that ShopNBC disappeared from my reports. I did not received any termination email and they owned me some money from July.
    What can be the reason? I'll email them soon, but I'm curious to know if it happened to anyone else...

NBC are thiefs. Back in the day, nbci.com was on reporting.net. They packed up shop owing us a few thousand smackeroonies. And the pillocks refused to pay on some retarded technicality which never existed. I assume shopnbc are part of the same rego crowd, so alas, I suspect your earnings have gone down the same toilet as mine.

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: Jim Hickey ]

ok user sutherland, because you can't accept private replies I guess I'll have to respond to your message in public. Firstly thanks for the email. However I will not do squat with anything nbc related again. I curse everytime I sea that peacock image on the TV. NBC is a crock and I am afraid that while value vision may be the innocent party here, the reality is you've picked up a brand which I dislike incredibly.

There is of course one way that you could convince me that shopnbc is a decent program and you folks are the good guys here. Perhaps you could use your relationship with NBC (as evidenced on your site "Under the terms of the agreement, NBC granted ValueVision Media worldwide use of an NBC-branded name and the Peacock image for 10 years. As part of the rebranding agreement, NBC and ValueVision Media have agreed to explore further joint opportunities, including promotional related services and merchandising opportunities, as well as promotional coordination and planning between NBC and ShopNBC."

to instruct them to pay their affiliates from the old nbci.com program. Lets call it a joint opportunity - you pick up an affiliate who can cream in the sales, and nbc pick up an old viewer, and I pick up the money that was illegally withheld from me.

Hey, that gesture is going to convince me that you have your affiliates at heart and that you care about your brand.

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: Jim Hickey ]

ABW Ambassador
    NBCi called me a crook, and walked off with the pathetic $5 they owed me. A smart affiliate manager would have called me a pathetic loser when walking off with my five spot. Calling me a crook just stuck in my craw for a long time.

I think their first program was rife with affiliate fraud...people putting the CPC program in popups and other fake hits. BeFree really blew it by not developing the technology to distinquish popups from clicks. BeFree 'dupers creamed NBCi.

CPI needs a deeper validation than a simple hit counter, and you have to be progressive in countering fake hit producers, popups, spam, incentive programs and other web gutter techniques.

Anyway, I figured that after NBCi caught the legendary BeFree arrogance toward affiliates, anything else they ran wouldn't be worth a thought. Good to see the prediction coming true.

As for Jessica123's query, your money is probably gone. You should write ShopNBC and post their reply on the board. It will be great for some laughs.

Every affiliate should run at least one befree banner...just for the comic relief.

Well, I’ve emailed ShopNBC’s affiliate manager, Eva, yesterday night and received a reply first thing on the morning! It appears that I was dropped by mistake, and by now everything was taken care of.

Jim Hickey, yintercept: NBCi is not ShopNBC, and while I’m not familiar with NBCi at all, I can testify that the latter listens to its affiliates and act promptly.

I’m glad that this ended well for me, not only because of the commission involved, but mostly because it restored some of the trust I’ve kind of lost in affiliate programs (Arden Kirschner of American Blinds/DecorateToday.com – you need to learn how to solve affiliates problems).
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Reinstating you on a oops doesn't mean the other comments aren't totall accurate. Same group just different program name and you'll make squatt promoting someone elses shopping site. Hell if your peddling free traffic send them to EcomCity.com. The merchant aggregrators behind ShopNBC are no better than vStores/eShops or the other Mall type merchants who are just running their own affiliate commission links using your traffic. Think merchant motivation and ebiz plan when reviewing their web site BEFORE joining. ShopNBC has no products or fulfillment facilities and takes their cut off the top as an affiliate before sending you the crumbs ..if it tracks right.

Stupid nbc/nbci/shopnbc. They all smell of the same kaka to me. yintercept, you were lucky enough to only lose a fiver... I had written approval the then nbci affiliate manager to do what I was doin' with the sites I was running (and nothing dodgy like popups or anythin' like that). Then nbci decided to ditch their employees one by one (obviously after management had given itself a full frontal lobotomy). End result, they send a retarded email saying commissions denied, oh and lets just ignore our own terms of service and ignore everything including requests from our layers and all that legal BS. NBC are a bunch of pillocks and if I ever get the chance, I think I will take it on myself to [edited for good taste and decency] In hindsight no-one needs to read that while having breakfast [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-14-2002: Message edited by: Jim Hickey ]

ABW Ambassador
    I generally have problems with a lot of the TV networks. I think it is the way they do it in TV. I recall a CJ merchant that had product links that said 'This product cannot be ordered on-line, please call 1-800----' This was a TV network, and they made no bones about not giving credit.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread