ABW Ambassador
    I received a newsletter today with the following title but,once arriving at ClickZ I was horrified by a number of things . . . . how about you?

quote:
    Pop-Up Warfare: Is Peace Possible?
    › › › Media Buying

Sponsored by Gator.com

Go to the article and see if you agree :

http://www.clickz.com/media/media_bu...le.php/1446441

My first thought was that Gator is trying to lend credibility to itself by sponsoring this article.

I agree with some of the things the writer said, especially the point about trying to attract buyers with advertising, not repel them by it.

I personally hate pops of any kind, even the pop-unders. When I close my browser, I am ready to leave the Internet, not view more ads. When I leave a site, I am done there. I don't want an ad popping up as if to tell me, "you can't go yet, you haven't spent any money!"

And if a site spawns more than one pop, I'm gone. For good. Multiple pops make me feel like I'm being attacked. If a site wants my money, they deliver targeted ads that interest me. I'll click on them if I'm interested. Chances are, if the first ad that pushed the mini cam didn't entice me, the 4,000th one won't either.

I believe a lot of web surfers understand they have to support the sites they like. Too many dot coms are gone now for people to not understand that. You try to form a community, so that others will want to return time and again and support your site. Gator comes in and steals from that community, without giving anything back to it.

Most people would not want this to happen if they understood Gator is stealing money from their favorite sites. I think we need to encourage a higher level of awareness on the Internet. Deals like the free downloads seem too good to be true, most don't understand the ultimate price they pay for the downloads.

When everyone's favorite content sites are gone, Gator won't have any sites left to steal from.

I posted a notice in my forum about Parasites, and couldn't believe the number of people who wrote to me telling me they had no idea this was going on.

It's scary that a dark force would try to hide behind a veil of credibility and respect for the very consumers they're taking advantage of.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    most don't understand the ultimate price they pay for the downloads.

It's time to really spread the word. Not everybody comes to ABW , especially not those who are not in marketing, but if we started spreading the word in places like software download sites and ClickZ, the originator of that article, things might ramp up in our favor.

But if we do nothing . . . nothing will happen.

My first impression is to DUMP anything to do with ClickZ, but then the thought came that I could start posting there, and, with people well known for many years to get behind this, this too might help.

I wonder how Declann Dunn is going to react to a few of Gators practices and how ClickZ is promoting Gator.

I wonder how ALL those that write for ClickZ will react/respond.

There is a long list of writers at ClickZ (see their drop-down menu). Seems like the best place to start the "Stomp Out The Gator" Campaign.

And, by the way, I too liked the article written. I also don't blame any of the writers at ClickZ. BUT, with the preditory practices and outright theivery by Gator, I would like to shove this so far up their pipeline to make a dent in their forehead~! And to BOYCOTT all that promote Gator.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL at Gator sponsoring this good article. Must have been the editors sense of humor.Food for thought:

"An iVillage survey found 92.5 percent of its users thought pop-ups were the most irritating thing about the Web and the ads damaged advertisers' brands. Similarly, an AOL study recently found user satisfaction increased in inverse proportion to the number of pop-ups visitors saw. This prompted the company to cut back on the format. AOL will consider the issue as it develops the next version of its client software.

Logical decisions -- not brain surgery. Scan software download sites, and you'll see pop-up killers on every most-downloaded list (at times, as many as 9 of the 10 top-ranked freeware apps are some type of ad-killer)."

WebMaster Mike
    WWW.EcomCity.com/ims.htm

Talking to Gator about their software isn't gonna do anything 'cause they don't really care what people think if they are anti-Gator. I know that Haiko includes in his newsletter update an email address to email both Gator and BeFree.

Emailing BeFree could have some impact. Emailing Gator is a waste of time. They already don't have respect for their own users when they make it next to impossible to remove their software even after the user nolonger wants it on their computers. They are clearly trying to force people to keep their software.

BTW: ClickZ is advertising Gator on their home page. I didn't specifically see that mentioned here. Thought people here would want to know.

ClickZ is alienating their target audience from their site. This really surprises me that ClickZ would advertise Gator to webmasters, site owners, and web site promoters when they know for a fact that so many of these professionals have a problem with Gator. Very stupid move by ClickZ. After all ClickZ does appear to target webmasters and like professionals. Why alienate the very people you want to visit your site? <rhetorical>

Someone at ClickZ really made a blunder when they accepted Gator ads. Guess they'll learn the hard way.

ThiefWare.com, @PAGE

IMO, ClickZ is long past caring about such trivial issues as keeping the webmaster contingent happy. Ever since Internet.com bought them out, the quality has been spiralling down and down and down.

There are now fewer articles, more ads - and they also REPEAT articles from a few months ago whenever they can't get new ones (there's no indication on the ClickZ site that this is happening, but I come across articles I can clearly remember reading already, and when I look in Archive.org's archives the articles show up at ClickZ a few months back)

Not to mention that the articles themselves are tending more and more towards advertorials for A) Other Internet.com sites (just try finding a 100% external link in a ClickZ article!) and B) The sites/services operated by their contributing writers.

There was a time about two years ago when ClickZ was the VERY first thing I read every day - in fact, I've still got a ClickZ link on my custom browser start page that loads every time I open IE. But now I pop over once a week, just to see if I might have missed something...

Beyond just greedy intentions

As we all have learned Gator has their fingers in a lot of revenue pies. Gator also purchases or has access to all the collected shopping habits of all visitors to BeFree merchants. They get autoloads every night of discount coupons and special offers to pop-up increasing their changes of pilfering sales from competing merchants. They charge merchant/advertisers to be on their service and then double dip them with a special fee to not have a competitors offer popup on their domains.

You can sue them to get your domain off their popup list or pay them a fee. Sound like a protection racket doesn't it. How much does Gator pay BeFree to enable their schemes every month. I sure doesn't equal a normal merchant network access fee. Gator brags to their merchants they get a 10% clickthrough rate and they place that click right at the point of sale on the competitions sites. The overall effect is the Gator merchants and all BeFree -LS & CJ merchants conversion ratios drop because of Gator.

Why doesn't Clickz do a real article on the internal workings and future plans of the hijacker called Gator.

WebMaster Mike

The silence of the Gator staff speaks volumes.

WebMaster Mike

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread