This e-mail serves as notice of termination of the Newsstand Network
    Program, effective immediately. enews is in the process of winding down its
    business and will no longer accept magazine orders, effective today. Please
    remove all links to the Newsstand Network Program from your site. Any links
    from your site to the enews site will, for a short time, connect to a page
    that explains that enews shall not accept any new magazine orders.

You will be contacted in the near term regarding outstanding commissions
    payable to you. Thank you for your participation in the Newsstand Network
    Program.

Yes, I just love the large amount of notice (NONE!) that they gave their faithful affiliates. :mad: [img]tongue.gif[/img]

They probably quit tracking a long time ago - I've sent them 1000's of clicks and got 0 sales. I actually replaced most of their links on my site last month - I might have a few floating around, but I don't know where so they are stuck there till I find em.

ABW Ambassador
    I liked that eNews paid regardless of how low the balance was. That means they didn't take off with my money in their account. I haven't had a sale through them for a while though.

The thing that was interesting is that eNew's announcement was followed by a Barnes and Noble announcement that they dropped magazine subscriptions. So I take it that didn't give the 'dupers anything better than the plebian companies.

Unfortunately, I added eNews to my site when I was still idealistic, and didn't have an automatic way to remove all of their links.

Any bets on the next BeFree merchant to bite the dust? Since you can delete programs you've dropped. Reporting.net really should consider changing the name of their product to the "graveyard of failure."

quote:
    Originally posted by yintercept:
    [QB]The thing that was interesting is that eNew's announcement was followed by a Barnes and Noble announcement that they dropped magazine subscriptions. So I take it that didn't give the 'dupers anything better than the plebian companies.
    [QB]

Yes, I noticed that too, those two messages were right next to each other in my mailbox. Time to move on to Magazine Programs on CJ and Performics. Any luck with anyone of them?

so far I've totally been unsuccessful with magazine merchants anywhere and I get decent traffic to my magazine site so I have no idea what the problem is.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Your correct about eNews stopping reporting of sales months ago. Hope they stiffed BF for their networks fees and that was the reason for immediate termination. B&N are a joke for conversions and I doubt any Mag merchant is worth promoting.

eNews had an agreement to sell all products through BN.com and that is why they removed all magazine subscriptions from the site. You may want to check out MagMall.com – I don’t know much about the company, but the founder Jason Ciment is a regular contributor in the Affiliate Marketing column at ClickZ.

Bestdealmagazines.com is joining Be Free - we are #1 magazine site for 3 month EPC on CJ ($10.42) and my super affiliates see conversion rates from 5% to over 15% with some earning more than $20,000 in commissions last year. We offer 100 magazines as free gifts from our sponsor with the consumer paying a $3.95 processing charge and another 500 titles at upwards of 80% out-of-pocket savings thanks to our sponsor's contributions. Our visitors go on a feeding frenzy when visiting the site and purchases of 20 or more subscriptions are not unusual.

Bestdealmagazines.com is joining Be Free with the intention of becoming the #1 magazine subscription site on the Internet. We look for every possible way to pay a commission to our affiliates - our affiliates are vital partners, not a means of cheap or free advertising.

Enews.com affiliates should consider joing our program. We are persently with CJ and should be able to start enrolling affiliates at Be Free within a week or two. For more information visit www.bestdealmagazines.com/affiliates.asp or call 800-332-0278.

Philip Seldon
    www.bestdealmagazines.com
    sales@bestdealmagazines.com

your stuff doesn't convert any better than enews for me - though strangely enough I've been converting amazon magazines recently which sucks cuz they only pay 5%

Heidi
    Fit2a-t: The Center of the T-shirt Universe!

TO:Philip Seldon www.bestdealmagazines.com
    Why after claimingg success at CJ with great tracking -low monthly fees and some active affiliates would you even jump to BeFree? Are you planning on hooking up with their darkside partners or just tiring of having to pay CJ affiliates monthly and have transparency on your programs actions. Philip you raise a big question on this move as your the only merchant I ever heard of that moved from CJ to BeFree.

WebMaster Mike

We are continuing with CJ but their program is very limited as to what we can do to increase an affiliates commissions while Be Free's technology permits considerably more latitute. For example, we can provide bonus commissions for a particular product or group of items which we can not do with CJ. We can also provided a tiered bonus plan which is not possible with CJ.

Also, we will be able to use their technology to display related products to the magazine selected and as an affiliate of that merchant share the commission with our affilate. For example, a subscriber to Saveur paying $3.95 for a year's subscription might also purchase an expensive set of cookware from a merchant we are affiliated with. In that case, what would have been a $0.80 commission might become a $25 one for our affiliate. Also, with CJ you can not report the order details to the affiliate - our reports will include the details of every subscription or product purchased per individual order.

Another factor is the Performance Partner program where we will get introductions to the heavy hitter affiliates - CJ offers no assistance in this regard. Not only that, we can not get the addresses, telephone numbers or email addresses of our affiliates from CJ which means that I am in direct contact with only a handful of my affiliates - I can't call them on the phone for opinions or alert them of special promotions other than with the CJ email program which may affiliates ignore. With Be Free we have all the registration information of our affiliates and furthermore contact information for affiliates we would like to hook up with. CJ goes out of its way to prevent merchants from getting to know their affiliates while Be Free encourages relationships which result in larger sales, bigger commissions and higher earnings for the network. CJ is misguided in its approach to this vial area of affiliate/merchant communication.

Lastly, Be Free is in constant communication with their Performance Partners frequently on a daily basis and can get our offers before affiliates who I could not ever have a chance to speak with directly. Barnes & Noble tells me that some of these Be Free affiliates bring in eight figures a year in sales for them - the potential of being the magazine merchant of choice for such an affiliate is another major factor of joining Be Free - I need only one of these to retire quite confortably.

Later this month Be Free is having a conference at its headquarters for major merchants and affiliates where I will be able to personally meet numberous individuals who I would die for their simply taking my phone calls. In the future I will be able to make presentations at such events. This opportunity to network does not exist with CJ.

Yes, I know that Be Free does not pay attention to the smaller affiliates and does not police merchant payments, etc., but I will have personnel on staff to deal with these matters. Furthermore, you will be able to set an atomic clock on my outgoing checks to affiliates so I am not so concerned with the bad ink Be Free is getting as I have a reputation of being good source of earnings with very high conversion rates (well I do get upset that 90% of my visitors don't buy but everyone tells me at a 10% conversion rate is outstanding and I shouldn't complain."

As I will be able to pay commissions of 50% or even more on selected magazines, my CJ affiliates will have the opportunity to earn higher commissions if they were to use Be Free for their commission tracking and payments. I am not going to insist that my CJ affiliates switch over to Be Free but if they do they will benefit from the more sophisticated technology for setting commissions and providing detailed reports so it would be to there benefit that they do.

One sore point with CJ - I sent one of my affiliates $100 for consulting and got stuck with a $30 transaction fee - I was not told that a direct payment would be considered as a commission payment for which there would be a 30% fee. Furthermore, with Be Free I pay by the hit not by the sales amount so in the long run if go over 100,000 hits a month my network fees will be much lower with Be Free than CJ.

I am also looking into other netorks which do not require exclusity. In any event, I suspect that many of my super affiliates will switch over to my Be Free account as I can pay them approximately 20% more in commissions with the Be Free technology than I could with CJ.

As to the Gartor issue that has everyone upset (me too!) if several of their larger affiliates or merchants were to put pressure on them, I am certain that the situtation would be resolved. I for one would not become an affiliate to any of these merchants.

Incidently, in addition to th bonus commissions, with Be Free I will be able to pay commissions for renewal and repeat transactions that do not occur through the network by sending in batch reports. I will be maintaining the affiliate ID in my order record and if we renew a subscription independantly and offline, we will pay a commission on the transaction. Also, we are developing the technology to provide the affiliate ID in the links to the Tell a Friend emails so that when a friend of an affiliate's visitor makes a purchase the affiliate will get credit for it.

In this regard, I believe the positives outweight the negatives. One thing that impressed me was that enews.com had 85,000 affiliates with Be Free and many of them will be looking for a new magazine merchant. With my high conversion rate, commission stucture and high payouts, I should become the magazine site of choice for all these affiliates and with my prompt payment practices become a favored merchant in the Internet affiliate arena.

Regards,

Philip Seldon

Heidi,

Sorry to hear that we do not convert so good for you as some of my affiates enjoy conversion rates of 15% or better. Banners do not work so well while a direct text pitch, particularly for our sales, provides extraordinary results. I am surprised that Amazon converts better as your visitor can save upwards of 80% of the Amazon cost by buying through us. This week's Labor Day sale with the price reduced to $3.29 for a full year's subcription for 100 magazines resulted in some of my affiliates earing nearly $700 in less than a week with another day to go yet.

In about three weeks my new website will be implimented - visitors will be rewarded with free gifts of e-books and e-reports for just about every action they take - 5 free gifts for registrating and 2 free gifts for logging on (neither mandatory). One or more free gifts for each subscription purchased and free gifts for using our Tell a Friend feature. The free gifts are emailed so we will be able to obtain valid email addresses for all our buyers.

We are also going to provide our affilates with the names and email addresses of the visitors who came from their site (unless privacy issues crop up which preclude this). And for affilates who want to be telephoned with information about our sales and special promotions, I have just purchased an automated IVR computer for that purpose which can make 200 calls or faxes an hour.

Look at my reply to econcity.com to learn about some of the technology we will be using to increase commissions to our affiliates. Even with our low $3.95 prices and low profit margins we pay 17% with a 3% bonus (total of 20%) for affiates that feature us on their home page every day. With the Be Free technology, we will be able to pay 50% or even more on selected titles as well as offer titles that we can not do now because their remits preclude paying 17%. With more items, even at a reduced commission on these items, commissions will be greater.

Now that I a devoting more time to this venture and making a major investment in personnel, software and advanced servers, I expect to run circles around Amazon.com's magazine merchant with merchandising innovations that will blow them away (to be announced in about a month). With some of the other programs that my Be Free affilates will be able to participate in, I am working on building a multimillion dollar company whose profits will be contributed to charity (senior citizens who need veterinary care for their beloved pets afflicted with cancer for starters).

If you want your commission with me increased to 20% through CJ, send me an email to sales@bestdealmagazines.com with your full name, address, telephone number and email address and I will raise you immediately. I will be set up with Be Free in about two weeks so you will have a choice of who you go with.

Regards,

Philip Seldon

quote:
    Not only that, we can not get the addresses, telephone numbers or email addresses of our affiliates from CJ

well thank god for that.. hmm I never new that befree could give out our phone numbers, email address and address! guess I will start replacing the few merchants that I am using at befree to cj.

ABW Ambassador
    "We are also going to provide our affilates with the names and email addresses of the visitors who came from their site (unless privacy issues crop up which preclude this)"
    Not a good idea. The only way i want email addresses from my site visitors is if they voluntarily opt in for my newsletter. Just you mentioning that you would give me names and email addresses sends up a red flag. Privacy is a real concern for shoppers, i'm sure they don't want their names and email addresses floated around. And if you read this board going from CJ to BeFree is not a good idea, you have pretty much lost most of your CJ affiliates from doing this.

May all your ups and downs be in bed

I'm sure magazine specials at your low prices will inspire impulse buys. Partnering with product sales merchants tied to the subject of magazines is a smart marketing move on your part. Ability to automate & report the partnering sales activity usually means you are the affiliate for these merchants. Manually tracking this and calculating splitting commissions from cross site sales would be a nightmare. The Duperaffiliates running incent sites just throw crumbs to their masses rather than fool with this as many partner merchants turn into slow pay accounts. I know of no merchant aggregrator ( Global Sports -vStores, CatalogCity etc.) who can properly track split sales.

Some merchants here like JC Whitney have verticle industry partnering arrangements, but they aren't tied into affiliate enable merchants. I guess you could workout a way to use the BF split commission tracking for charities to try and reconcile total amounts due your magazine affiliates and work out a distribution plan. I just don't see it as a practical way of working to increase the affiliate part of total sales amount.

The easier way is for you to tie your magazines into the site displays (like some Amazon book scripts do) of these outside merchants with them as an affiliate. Sign up with the parasites and duperaffiliates to trigger your Ads on subject keywords and use co-regs for e-mail campaigns at the FREEBEE, coupon pushers and eBates type vendors. Use the privacy info and mag. selections to fuel your direct marketing side deals with list brokers and just put a good PR spin on the complimentary product sales without actually resorting to paying a percent to the referrer. Most affiliates are dumb as bricks and if it sounds good ..it has to be good.

Obviously make sure you use monthly BF payments with a low minimum and publish you use a 30 day cookie. No need to throw up any negatives from the start. Use the autoload feature reserved for superaffiliates for magazine deal popups and your good to go. Smart move not to make this primarily a CPA "lead" program with all the hassles of making affiliates jump thru hoops to qualify the lead for payment. Push the magazines as a frontend enticement for the back-end profits from partnering deals. Jeez I'm getting good at the senerios.

WebMaster Mike

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on September 02, 2002 at 10:29 AM.]

Mike,

At CJ I have a five year cookie duration and with Be Free it will be infinate along with commission payments for sales that not geanerated over the Internet. If this is out of the mold of the typical merchant, what can I say?

I am not using low priced magazine subscriptions to generate leads for other purposes. I make a healthy profit even with the low prices and that is my only objective.

I will not deal with any site that uses gators or similar technology. I do not sell or trade my customer list, however as I said, I will provide my affiliates with data on customers who come from their sites if a privacy does not become an issue. Sending out spam is not part of my business model and I don't do it.

I will be paying monthly commissions with a minimum of $15 which I can not do with CJ. you will be able to set an atomic clock on my check arrivals.

As to the commission splits for merchandise sold on the site, my objective for doing this is to maximize my affiliate's commissions. While I would like to keep a portion of the commission, if doing a split would be technologically impossible, I will provide 100% of the commission I earn as an affiliate of the merchants involved to my affilates.

Given the suspicions raised by merchants that provide deals that seem to good to be true, how do I convince the skeptics that my business model is to maximize affiliate commissions so that I become the number one choice as a merchant to promote. Why would I want to be added to the list of the "bad guys" and be shunned by the affiliate community when using my business model of providing the lowest cost possible to the consumer and paying the highest commissions possible while maintainng a profit will generate many times more profit while making everyone happy?

I have been devoted to this business model ever since I started a pizza delivery service when in college years ago. I made the very best pizza anywhere and sold it for about half the price of my competitors. It grew from a part time business to one with more than one hundred employees in less than three months and I was able to retire at age 25 to return to school and subsequently travel the world for several years before launching my wine magazine, Vintage magazine, in 1970. All my subsequent businesses follow this model. My bestdealnutritionals.com sells Veromax at $10 less than the retail price at GNC. Two new projects under development will sell its services at such a low price no one will be able to resist. In that regard, I am building servers capable of handling 20 million customer records and handling Amazon.com level traffic. More on this latter - it will be an affiliate opportunity in the health care field. As I said, the profits of my ventures are going to charity - I hope to be able to provide veterinary care for all senior citizens in need of financial assistance in the USA. After ten years of retirement, I find it more fun to build new businesses than sit on the beach or sip wine in an outdoor cafe. Building the best magazine subscription sites on the Internet (there will be two) is providing a lot of enjoyment and gratification.

A few minutes ago, I contributed $10,000 worth of magazine subscriptions to the Jerry Lewis MDA telethon - next year I hope to organize the entire magazine publishing industry to assist in this effort.

I would be delighted to be able to speak with you directly - one thing I need is a list of all the "bad guys" so I can avoid them. I'm relatively new at this business and do not know who all of them are. I can be reached at 800-332-0278.

Regards,

Philip Seldon
    www.bestdealmagazines.com
    www.bestdealnutritionals.com

ABW Ambassador
    We have never converted well with you and I think I know the reason. All that dietary stuff and when you click on a magazine you get stuff like,

Balance due after sponsor's contribution
    has been applied - only $14.95

What does that mean? What sponsor? Is there a chance I am going to be billed more if something happens to my sponsor? Do I now owe something to my sponsor?

Now, I know the answers, but I have been told by friends who I was talking to on the phone, they wouldn't buy mags from you because something seemed fishy. (I have bought mags are and are happy).

Also all the banners had something to do with a free gift, instead of low priced magazine. I haven't checked recently, but the landing page also just had a bad feel, free gift, low prices but it always seemed the magazines were an after thought.

when I see How to Be Your Own Private Detective i think spam and scam. Why bring down the major named publications you are selling with stuff like that?

Make banners that just have the mags and the low prices. Maybe themed banners, all the women's magazines etc. Split the categories up to heavily discounted and discounted to set apart your really insane deals but also not make it seem like another world from the one group to the next. Link the banners to landing pages that reflect that, why when I click on the hot seller computer shopper, I am brought to a catalog list?

I think you need a site redesign and some serious backend programming to really give affiliates strong landing pages. Feature one mag on the page, and then list other mags that are similar with a simple, you might also like these. Right now your site is just too much.

Why not just have a site dedicacted and focused on low priced magazines? Drop the free gifts, drop the whole sponsored thing or gift certificate (whatever was there) and just say - elle - $3.29 a year. Bam. Click here to buy it.

Wow. How was that for a labor day rant? Guess I need to get out of the sun. I do like your prices, and think you would convert well for us if you just cleaned up your site and your back end.

Chet

Hi Philip;

I agree with the previous poster who was disturbed by your statement of:

"We are also going to provide our affilates with the names and email addresses of the visitors who came from their site (unless privacy issues crop up which preclude this)"

I'm not sure if words can express how wrong I think that is, but I'll try anyway ...

It is absolutely, totally, 100%, completely, no doubt, unquestionably the wrong thing to do.

You shouldn't need to wonder if a privacy issue will crop up, because your proposition itself is rife with privacy issues.

I don't think that your average customer expects you to share their personal information in this manner. Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, it's a violation of their trust. If I was your customer, I would be offended to find out that you were sharing my name in this manner.

I'd also be offended if I was your affiliate. And I wouldn't want to be put in a position of explaining how I could work with a company that had that much disregard for someone's privacy.

Furthermore, I can't imagine what an affiliate would do with that information, other than to send unsolicited emails. And that is so the wrong way to start an ebiz company.

I almost have to wonder why you don't just pass along the mailing address, phone numbers and fax numbers, too. Would you, if someone asked?

Regards (but hoping you reconsider this policy);
    - Ed

Philip,

I think I saw you say your site was undergoing a big re-design? Due in three weeks? Like to see what that brings - I too have concerns over what visitors see/feel when they arrive at someone's site.

Also, I am unclear on signing up. Are you saying we should wait, and to sign up with your BeFree version (when ready), instead of doing it today on the existing network?

Lastly, the idea of providing email info of customers sent from an affiliate's site scares the YKW out of me. SPAM is the scourge of the Internet, and any program bartering, forwarding, or selling personal information is something I will stay away from.

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

As to the policy to share the visitor information with my affiliates - I thought that the affiliates would like this - based on the feedback I am abandoning this idea.

As to the Free Gift Magazines - this is essential to being able to offer low out-of-pocket prices to the consumer - our sponsor - the Vintage Superstore - pays for the magazines and gives them for free to the consumer which makes it "sponsored circulation" sold at full price. The publishers do not permit discounting, particularly at the low processing fee we charge, and without the sponsor we can not provide the magazines. And there are many publishers who don't want sponsored circulation and we do not sell their magazines. While this may seem to complicate things it does make the deal possible. We do have a ligitimate sponsor (albeit I own that company) who is willing to pay for the magazines as opposed to others who have copied the concept and claim to have a sponsor and do not really have one. Don't worry about leaks regarding the Superstore - emails go out only once every six months or so and the sponsor does very little in the way of sales so this should not be an issue.

Our revamped site does not mention a gift certificate anymore and each title page lists the "sponsor's contribution" with an explanation that they will receive occassional emails from the sponsor - our customers do not seem to object to this as we are doing gangbusters with the highest EPC rank for magazine sites on CJ and a CJ rank of 186 overall. My labor day sale customer email did not generated only one remove request. With my five year cookie duration, my affiliates receive credit for all repeat sales.

For the magazines that we can not sell with sponsored circulation I am creating another site that will sell at full price with gifts of shopping discount coupons for other merchants (an innovative way of discounting which the publishers should not mind as the magaizne is listed and sold at full price). These magazines will be listed with a link to the new site and the affiliate ID will be passed to the other site. We plan to use only Be Free merchants for the shopping discounts and the discount coupon links will carry the affiliate ID (I think we can do this) so my affiliates will receive commissions on these visitors purchases at other sites.

Yes, my present site leaves much to be desired but it is considerably more user friendly than last year at this time. The new site should blow everyone away as it will have a lot of bells and whistles on it and will incorporate just about all the suggestions made above. It's not ready for the abestweb.com site review forum (in about a week) but you can take a sneek preview by visiting www.bestdealmagazines.com and after the page displays add :88/index.asp to the url. But remember it is still in development - but if you find anything you would change on it, please let me know ASAP.

The detective book is very popular and virtually all my customers download it along with the wine book but with the new site these books will be history as they have been offered for more than six months. Our new free gift with order page will feature about 100 e-books and e-reports that will be changed at least once a month (and maybe more often) from a library of nearly 10,000 e-books I recently purchased. On average, my customer will earn a minimum of 3 free books with an order - 5 more if they use the Tell a Friend feature and one or more books for each magazine they order. Obtaining them is very user friendly.

We have momentary pop-ups to announce the earnings of a free gift, a welcome pop-up and a few others - these appear only for a few seconds in small windows so this should not be objectionable. The welcome pop-up will announce any sale we are featuring. It presently has a nice female voice saying Welcome. Should I continue with sound? And should I have a Windows beep of some sort when they receive a free gift credit? Should I say "Thank you for your order" on exit?

We will be using a cookie for automatic loggins and the customer's name will appear in the welcome window. While we encourage registering as a customer with 5 free books it is not mandatory and we permit anonymous shopping. Loggins, whether manual or from the cookie earn 2 free books.

We will be very active with promoting coupons and will have several new ones every week. The Deal of the Day will change daily and we hope to be able to provide automatic updated links for affiliates who want to feature it every day.

As affiliates, how do you feel about receiving phone or fax notifications of our promotions? I just bought an IVR system capable of making several hundred calls or faxes an hour and will use it if my affilates desire it.

This week's Labor Day sale was beyond my wildest expectations with many orders for more expensive magazines - the best week yet since I started this venture - the new home page with the magazine categories virtually tripled the number of higher priced magazine orders. With the user friendly features on the new site this should increase dramatically providing larger commissions.

If you have any other suggestions, please blast away - I am new to Internet marketing (coming from a publishing and direct mail background) and have a lot to learn. Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Philip Seldon
    bestdealmagazines.com

Follow up about CJ.

I AM NOT LEAVING CJ AND WILL NOT INSIST THAT ANYONE SWITCH FROM CJ TO BE FREE!!!

I am adding Be Free to my affiliate network mix with the anticipation of recruting affilates who do not use CJ or would prefer the opportunities the Be Free technology and detailed reporting will provide.

I hope I do not lose any CJ affilites just because I am joining Be Free - I am not jumping to Be Free as I said, but merely adding another network to my venture. Many other merchants use multiple affilate networks so I have not viewed joining Be Free as a problem.

Note: with Be Free I can pay commissions on repeat business that is generated off the Internet which I can not do now with CJ which lacks the technology to permit me to do this economically.

Regards,

Philip Seldon
    bestdealmagazines.com

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread