Another merchant that screws us affiliates. They simply pulled stopped tracking somewhere in middle of July and they were completely pulled off BeFree this week.

They left us in the dark! Not even an email telling us what's going on. I doubt we will ever see payment from these corporate gangstors!

BeFree that's why you stink sometimes and CJ is great!

ABW Ambassador
    >>BeFree that's why you stink sometimes and CJ is great!

Helloooo? While I'm no fan of BeFree, CJ has had its share of deadbeats -- and so has/will every other network that is out there.

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

Thanks Cedric, uhh, I think. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Yikole: It is true that iGo.com terminated and were disabled in the system. When a merchant terminates, we put them into a "Reports only" status to give affiliates time to collect reports, etc. After I think 60 days or so, they're disabled which means they don't show up any more.

I don't know how iGo.com left things with their affiliates -- apparently not very well judging by your post.

Your data isn't gone from the system. If you're looking for that, we can get that for you. Obviously, you're looking for your money. Our support team can also at least let you know how iGo.com left things with us. The news may not be great, but they'll help best they can.

You can contact them at help@befree.com. Or email me and I'll ask them to follow up with you.

--scott

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

ABW Ambassador
    I for one would like to know how they left it.

I was thinking of selling cellular phones OUTSIDE the USA. http://www.igo.com/Pages/PlanetFone.htm

ABW Ambassador
    I think the difference between beFree and CJ is that CJ realized earlier in the game that a lot of their merchants sucked. CJ made better tools for sorting the good merchants from the bad. They pushed consolidated payments. I am more willing to run questionable CJ merchants because I don't have to abandon nickels and dimes when I decide to drop a merchant.

Most importantly CJ realized that merchants often go under, and developed a cleaner end game. For example, CJ shows you pages that have traffic from deactivated merchants. (This is really easy BTW, all you need to do is capture the HTTP Referrer from the HTTP header for links to dead ads.)

MEanwhile, BeFree was so mired in its marketing jargon that they failed to see that the bad merchants were killing their network. (They actually failed to acknowledge they had a network.)

BeFree thought, since they were getting the big IdealLAbs brand merchants, that they didn't need to worry about quality. They managed to prove that big is not always better.

BTW: I went to BeFree today, and ran a report on merchants in the last 4 weeks. Guess what? BeFree has no new merchants! Losing iGo.com means that BeFree is even smaller today than they were a month ago.

Meanwhile, CJ picked up Discover, Covey, The Wall Street Journal, E-Loan and a bunch of smaller sites.

If BeFree had consolidated payments and got rid of the minimum, they would reduce some of the rancor that ensues when beFree merchants fail and pocket the breakage. They also need to clean up the end game. Affiliates should be able to drop merchants, and there needs be merchant performance metrics. I don't know if they can ever stop the downward cycle of the company. I hope they do, but I wouldn't bet on it.

NO NEW MERCHANTS IN 4 WEEKS!!!!! BeFree people, wake up!!!!! Your marketing stategy failed!!!! You have to reinvent or perish!!!!! This is not just irate affiliates ranting on boards, economic reality is knocking!!!!!

Missoula - Short Stories

Scott,

This comment stuck out at me like a big red flag,
    quote:
    "I don't know how iGo.com left things with their affiliates -- apparently not very well judging by your post."

This is something that is a huge issue for me and (I think) others here. They [iGo] left, and nobody knows why.

If everyone here thought that BeFree was doing its job, then you would know what happened, and would let us in on it. It just seems another example of a Merchant who doesn't give a crap about affiliates/partners, and a network that keeps those perceptions alive by its inaction.

We are not asking for "to-your-door-service," but just let us know what is going on - and let us know that someone there is on the case and cares.

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

quote:
    This comment stuck out at me like a big red flag
    Please don't take my words as speaking for Be Free. I personally don't know what happened and I was being candid about that. If I have to speak the party line about everything, this is going to get boring!
    quote:
    If everyone here thought that BeFree was doing its job, then you would know what happened, and would let us in on it. It just seems another example of a Merchant who doesn't give a crap about affiliates/partners, and a network that keeps those perceptions alive by its inaction.
    While it may not seem to be the case, the services team at Be Free works very hard to get terminating merchants to close down cleanly and pay.

The bottom line is that is not easy to get someone else to part with their money (especially when they don't have much of it) and it looks like we've done nothing.

OK Scott, stop with the sunshine...That said, affiliates of that merchant absolutely do deserve to know what is happening. That's a communication issue that I am looking into. I traded emails with the director of services to find out what happened there.

I just can't come here on ABW (or any public forum) and air a merchant's laundry (clean or dirty).

And while you shouldn't HAVE to go asking for it, that is why I encourage you to contact help@befree.com whenever you've got a specific issue with a merchant, around payment or anything. You will get a quick and useful reply (though the answer about payment from terminating merchants is not always going to be favorable).

Thanks.

--scott

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread