ABW Ambassador
    The new program does a good job separating activity by site. So I was planning on cleaning up my operation today.

I take it that, instead of generating new ads, all I have to do is go through my code and make sure the site id matches the domain of the site, correct?

Tests of the old system seemed to indicate that BeFree credited impressions, clicks and commissions when domain didn't match the registered site. Since the old system didn't have good tools for defining and maintaining sites, I got rather lazy.

Will beFree be more aggressive on site/domain matching...ie checking that the http referrer matches the domain listed in the site id?

Missoula - Short Stories

ABW Ambassador
    Suggestion: It would be nice to have a link from the Site Merchant Relation Page (affiliateSiteMerchantRelationshipEdit.do) directly to the merchant link page. This would expedite the creation of links for a merchant. The Site relation management page show if if the site has been accepted or not.

The alternative is to go back to partner home, open the Merchant site, click on make a link, select the site...then make the link.

Missoula - Short Stories

ABW Ambassador
    One More Suggestion on the site management side of things. The search for links program lets you search for links for myMerchants and all merchants. Unfortunately, not all of my merchants have approved all of my sites. If I am looking for links for a particular site, I many only want to see the merchants that have approved that site.

Missoula - Short Stories

Yyintercept, good suggestions. I'll get those things on the list.

That's right, make sure the siteID matches.

There are no immediate plans to do http referer checking. There are probably of lazy affiliates out there and it would create a lot of broken links.

--scott

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

ABW Ambassador
    >>There are probably of lazy affiliates out there and it would create a lot of broken links.<<

As a self-proclaimed lazy affiliate, I'm okay with this, but I would offer that those not comfortable in their laziness prefer to be called "busy affiliates." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

Scott,

quote:
    There are no immediate plans to do http referer checking. There are probably of lazy affiliates out there and it would create a lot of broken links.

Ya nailed me dead on. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Affiliate Programs That Kick Major Butt

ABW Ambassador
    HTTP Referrer checking would probably be a disaster. For example...a lot of sites respond to both the www.domain.com and domain.com . Pages are often cached, and other things can confuse the issue. When I joined BeFree, I used to refer to all my domains with the www but changed to the shorter names.

I think the best way to get us "busy affiliates" to the point of a proper matching between domains and site ids would be to provide us with HTTP Referrer links showing us the pages our links came from.

Giving us the information about what we are doing wrong would be a much more effective way to get us to clean up our acts than to have merchants start denying commissions because we have bad siteid domain matches.

BTW, while I was cleaning today, I actually found I had an Asimba link on a page. Can you believe that? Makes me wish BeFree had an invalid links report link CJ. When my CJ links go south, the CJ program starts recording the HTTP referrer for the bad link. That info helps me fix my pages.

Missoula - Short Stories

I agree completely, yintercept, it would be a disaster.

I've been thinking about a report like that. I'll see what we can come up with there.

--scott

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread