ABW Ambassador
    I see that a new forum has started up that will be used to identify merchants who abuse cookie durations.

I would greatly appreciate you providing a summary report of merchants and their cookie durations for our use.

I would like the report boken up by:

1) merchants with cookies less than 7 days
    2) merchants with cookies less than 14 days
    3) merchants with cookies less than 30 days
    4) merchants with cookies greater than 30 days

I can go get this list and provide it but it will be time consuming and I thought I'd see if you would respond by running a simple report and providing the information. Technology is great isn't it .

This list would save me and our other members a great deal of time in backtracking changes that may have slipped by us and allow us to stay on our feet regarding who we really want to spend our time promoting.

Knowing that we will get this information (one way or the other) and post it for our users to see and utilize may also provide your company a better opportunity to educate merchants of the risks associated with establishing low cookie durations or changing their policy to a low cookie duration.

I'd appreciate feedback if you can or will be providing this type of report for me.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Sunny Miami
    I'll volunteer ours.... 7 days..

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager
    P: (305) 415-2313
    AIM: miamitigercub

I'm sorry, I can't provide this list to you. It's not that I don't want to be cooperative, but publishing a bunch of merchant information outside of our own system wouldn't be viewed upon well back at the office.

So why don't we post this data in Partner Gateway? The problem is that I don't have that information yet for all our merchants.

There are two ways that orders are tracked for our merchants. The traditional way is that the merchant does their own tracking and provides the data to us in batch each night. In this scenario, the merchant handles all the return-day durations themselves. Therefore, we never collected return-day data from these merchants.

Early this year, we started offering conversion tag tracking. In this case, we do know the number of return-days.

So, I'd like to present in Partner Gateway the number of return-days for each merchant. But I don't have all the data stored nicely in the database.

As a short-term enhancement, I'm working on getting return-days added to the merchant detail page. The data won't be complete at first, but I'd rather give you what we know and then get it filled in versus waiting.

Scott Jangro

ABW Ambassador

Scott McNulty and I have talked in the past about using XML for merchants to provide information to parters. Sort of how shareware authors use "PAD" files for their software.

You start with a very simple set of parameters like cookie duration or return days, location of agreement, contact persons name, etc.

It would even be useful for affiliate directories who could use spiders (of course [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) to pick up this information. It would also go a long way with providing partners an updated set of information to work from.

What do you think of this concept?

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    Advanced & Automated Data Analysis for Performance Marketers.

Hi Wayne,

I'm not sure I'm following you.

You mean that the merchants would provide XML data containing the parameters of their programs?

And we (and you or anyone) could read the XML?

I like the concept (though I like any application for XML [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]). But I don't necessarily see many merchants complying.

Or maybe I'm not understanding your meaning?

Scott Jangro

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread