Does BeFree have a record of checks they sent out, but were not deposited (due to being lost in the mail)?

that's a very good question. someone?

ABW Ambassador
    Great question. I hope someone can answer that.

Yes, if Be Free does the check processing for the merchant, we have a record. You can tell whether we process checks for a given merchant in the merchant info or payment detail reports in PartnerGateway.

If so, if you look at your "My commissions" page, there's a status which may read "Returned".

If the merchant does their own check processing, they sent the check and it would have been returned to them, so we have no insight. In that case, the best recourse is to contact the merchant in question.

In any case, you can get quick help on issues such as this by emailing help@befree.com, or email me and I'll get it in the right hands.

--scott

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Scott,

Thanks for the quick answer. What if the check was not returned (like maybe it got lost)? Dos that still show up as 'returned'?

Jimbo,

We're working on a process to deal with that scenario better. In the meantime, it'll just stay in paid status whether you actually cash it or not.

We do have a record of every check that we processed and do know if it got cashed or not, etc. (Accountants are funny like that.)

We can reprocess lost checks and get your money to you. If this is more than simply a hypothetical situation for you, drop me or help@befree.com an email and we'll get to the bottom of it.

--scott

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

That's interesting.
    Paper checks are a pain in the bud anyway.

However, most checks have usually an expiration date printed on the check or a statement like "check must be cashed within 90 days".
    Is that kind of statement legaly binding?

Example: If I go 91 days after the check was issued to a bank and they actually cash it.
    Is the merchant still obligated to pay the money or does the bank has to pay it, because they made the mistake?

That issue brings up something else.

It would be great, If an affiliate could add Bank Information to its account and indicate, that it prefers to get the money wired.
    BeFree could then wire due commissions to all US Affiliates, if they do the affiliate payments for the merchants and merchants who pay Affiliates themself can decide whether they wire the money to the affiliate or send a paper check.

I love CJ because they wire the money every month to my checking account.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

No need to sell EFT to me, Carsten. I understand the benefits. I wish I could snap my fingers and have that there right now.

As far as the check expiration goes, and it being legally binding...The point is not to screw you out of your money after x days.

The reason that's there is because it's a hassle when someone shows up at the bank two years later to cash a check expecting the money to be in the account. Unclaimed money is a major issue and the expiration date allows the money to be freed up, given back to the merchant, etc., without having to worry that a two year old check is going to all of a sudden be presented and bounce.

The money is yours, so if you showed up too late with your check and it couldn't be cashed, arrangements would need to be made to get you your money.

--scott

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread