I had a commision "approved" on 12/1 and it still doesn't say that a check has been mailed. Could someone tell me how long it usally takes?
    Thank you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Tammie,

It will be marked paid when the check has been issued.

This can vary greatly from Merchant to Merchant. I have had them go from approved to paid in a couple days ... To a couple months [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Dave

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Except for the BeFree merchants posting here you'll have to beg all the others to pay up promptly. I've got some who have been marked approved since last July with no check yet. If you jump on them bigtime they might pay but normall cancel thta voucher and wait another quarter to issue a new payment authorization.

Till BF tears that section out of the new merchant pitch book that emphasizes merchants can structure their program to negate most affiliates from getting a commisisons for 8-9 months from startup date ..this will be rampant there. Some merchants there buck the system and wire transfer the money then jump on BeFree to release the money in days. Never ..ever..signup with any merchant who pays quarterly

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

Tammie,

THis varies by merchant. Your payment as been approved, but they need to go through the entire list of payments before they'll submit them all for processing.

Some merchants take longer than others due to size of program, fraud, etc.

We strongly encourage merchants to consistently work through this process and pay within 30 days. Right now is the sweet-spot as most take 2-3 weeks.

If you'd like more specific info about the merchant in question, feel free to email me directly, or the merchant.

--scott

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

C'mon Mike, we all know you're prone to hyperbole, but that post isn't even worth the two pennies you marked it with! Haiko, can we get a 2 lira icon? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I shouldn't even feel the need to defend here, but just in case that last person comes out from under their rock and doesn't know how much salt to take some of Mike's posts with...

>>Except for the BeFree merchants posting here you'll have to beg all the others to pay up promptly.<<

Seriously, every network has their problem merchants, but it's not nearly as dire as you suggest.

>>I've got some who have been marked approved since last July with no check yet. If you jump on them bigtime they might pay but normall cancel thta voucher and wait another quarter to issue a new payment authorization.<<

Mind if I take a look at your commission page, Mike?

No doubt there are some bad cases out there that we've done the best we can. Blood from a stone in some cases.

For the record, if you're ever concerned about non-payment you can contact us at help@befree.com and our affiliate support team will help the best we can.

>>Till BF tears that section out of the new merchant pitch book that emphasizes merchants can structure their program to negate most affiliates from getting a commisisons for 8-9 months from startup date ..this will be rampant there.<<

On the contrary, we lean heavily on merchants to pay monthly. We've converted many merchants to monthly from quarterly and have convinced many merchants to lower their payment thresholds as well.

--scott

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

No need to go back over 3 years Scott to find where I've begged BeFree merchants for past due payments. You got burned on many of those too as they migrated to your dead pool.

You can see from merchant payment history, like MicroWarehouse, where they cancelled vouchers in 1st quarter April 2002. Then didn't pay those same vouchers in July 2002 but chose to roll them over to the 3rd quarter. Buying additional time to reverse orders, play the cookie game, and delaying payouts as a quarterly merchant with a 50.00 minimum was a well rehearsed theme for many beFree merchants.

I applauded your recent moves to get your merchant pool inline with the demands and needs of your affiliates. Vast improvement brought upon by some vocal critics like me who refused to accept the status quo. I could safely say that the example of TigerDirect is the only reason your network's merchants even get consideration from this board. When that example becomes the rule, rather than the exception, your network will prosper.

I still stand by my telling every affiliate here to not waste their time promoting any quarterly payout merchant with a 50.00 plus minimum regardless of network.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

Late payment issues, especially at Christmas time, are very vital. Just ask your employees if they'd like to wait a extra week for this Fridays paycheck. Case in point regarding the top supported BF merchant at ABW who always goes the extra mile for us...TigerDirect.

Earlier in December the payment report said "awaiting funds which were sent. The the status last Friday said "approved" now the status today moved from "approved" back to "awaiting funds" meaning the whole cycle begins all over.

6:30PM 12/17/2002 TigerDirect.com USD $111.46 $25.00 01/01/2003 $0.00 01/01/2003 November commissions =$428.93 Awaiting Funds 12/01/2002

Webmaster Mike

Folks here might think I'm not a fan of Scott or BeFree. I might brow beat him and his network of merchants over the years to force upon them some much needed changes...but I do need BF and Scott's influence on it's direction. He has privately looked into things I pointed out to him and uncovered many cans of worms eating away the "Trust" portion of BF affiliates. In all cases it comes down to some lame affiliate manager, or AM management outsourcing company representing the brand name merchant, not willing to give their affiliate force the time of day.

Those lazy AM's for years pressured the network for mass advertising reach with absolute disregard and outright distain for working on ways to converting traffic into commissions. These AM's embraced "incent" Duper spammers and BHO hijackers, because they were not willing to drop diversion tactics, put up product links and affiliate friendly high conversion landing pages, monitor their shopping cart reporting tags, or pay the masses in a timely manner.

Scott knows that if all his non-performing merchants fired their AM's today, and hired some newbee with a work ethic tomorrow, no affiliate would ever even notice a blip in their commissions. If the new AM was required, for one week, to read all the posts here and acted on emulating the success stories and avoiding the pitfalls those programs would show the same results as when Andy replaced the fired AM at TigerDirect.

So Scott I feel your pain and frustration knowing the root of the problems at BeFree can be narrowed down to your merchant AM's who use your network for pure play advertising campaigns. They do not respond to us or come here or anywhere to post, because they have nothing to say nor desire to change. My advice is to go over those AM's heads to the actual merchant management and honestly explain how they are getting no sustainable ROI or lasting benefit from employing that person or outside agency. You don't loose the merchant for being honest and the newbee replacement has to be better than seeing the program move to the deadpool.

When those lousy lazy AM's are weeded out of your merchant pool and replaced by those educated at ABW you'll have doubled BF network income and eliminated or silenced your affiliate critics.

Webmaster Mike

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on December 19, 2002 at 11:40 AM.]

quote:
    Earlier in December the payment report said "awaiting funds which were sent. The the status last Friday said "approved" now the status today moved from "approved" back to "awaiting funds" meaning the whole cycle begins all over.

Just curious, Mike, what does Andy have to say about all of this? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

"Where a conversion is no accident, it's a miracle."

Jim
    JAREC & Associates
    U.S. Sportfishing News

Looks like Andy got blindsided by his accounting department. Scott says BeFree never got the money til this morning and it takes several days to process cutting a check, and you can bet 3-4 days for the mailman.

Webmaster Mike

Guess Andy and Scott have some pull at beFree as they cut the checks in record time.

Webmaster Mike

Looks like the BF bean counters seeking to float the TD cleared commission balance for 4 more days of interest decided to mail the checks out late on December 24th. That way they figured with the holiday Post Office closed Christmas day they'd get 3-4 more days of interest. Basically someone at BeFree made the call to pad their 4th quarter bank's cash balance by making sure affiliate payments wouldn't clear their bank before year end. The same move was made at Linkshare as December became the worse month for getting late payments of Y2002.

Remember next year when the merchants come begging for the huge 2003 Christmas shopping exposure. What real effort did they make in 2002 to get affiliates paid before Christmas???

Webmaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Remember next year when the merchants come begging for the huge 2003 Christmas shopping exposure. What real effort did they make in 2002 to get affiliates paid before Christmas???

Geez Mike...

What the heck kind of whine is that? Correct me if I am wrong, but are we not in business for ourselves. That comment sounds like the sharecroppers I grew up with complaining that they didn't get their Christmas Turkey until Christmas day. So what? The dollars are still owed, and will be collected and paid as usual. What makes anyone think that getting the funds out before Christmas is any business' obligation?

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

"So what? The dollars are still owed, and will be collected and paid as usual. What makes anyone think that getting the funds out before Christmas is any business' obligation?"...Obstinatedon

The decession for a few good converting merchants to spurring November sales with Christmas bonuses contests was undermined by the BF and LS networks refusal to cut checks in a timely manner. This wasn't just a payment quirk OBdon it was a deliberate oversight undermining the merchants efforts to reward the extra efforts of their outside sales force. Networks who marked commission checks paid and mailed by the 20th, and never put them in the mailbox til the 24th, did both their affiliates and merchants a disservice. The only saving grace would be if LS and BF employees received their Christmas bonuses in todays payroll check.

Webmaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    This wasn't just a payment quirk OBdon it was a deliberate oversight undermining the merchants efforts to reward the extra efforts of their outside sales force.

Once again Mike, you make statements that are impossible to refute, but are grounded in speculation - not fact. Where exactly do you get your data? Are you certain of this statement; or, are you simply saying this out of spite and animosity?

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

Proof will come in the mail today OBdon if my assumptions are correct. I've automated the accounting systems of over 5000 businesses Don since the 70's. I work hand in hand with CPA's and internal company bean counters and know what moves are taken at year end to make the figures look better. Smart company move is to end this quarter with extra cash on hand for that first 2003 board meeting.

Webmaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    The game of trying to push off expenses is a real killer in the new economy. No-one believes company books any more. Look at the recessed stock market. We will probably take 50 or more years for people to rebuild any trust in American accountants.

The pushing off payrolls was a prominent tactic in Us business for a long time. Now, employers get socked with penalties for pushing off payrolls.

I have to admit, I am hoping to see LS and BeFree on the losing end of a class action lawsuit for these reindeer games. Best practices would be consolidated payments and direct deposit. It makes a lot of sense from a business point of view.

These companies should have done right from the start. The fact that they did not start by trying to define best practices is killing the industry.

boom!

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread