ABW Ambassador
    Not many messages in BeFree section of ABW. To help the BeFree support staff look busy when the boss walks by, I thought I would start a thread:

Have the changes to reporting.net affected either the bottom line at BeFree or affiliates in a positive way?

Has the search product link increased ad placement and sales as expected?

I noticed the consolidate logon feature isn't finished. It still has a note promising a newer brighter future. The message implies that all the partner gateway changes aren't in effect yet.

Does BeFree have a projected timeline on any enhancements?

boom!

Thinking about dropping out of Befree. All but two of their merchants that I use have stopped converting. Probably still because of parasites.
    However, it could also be the merchants shutting off tracking. I haven't converted on Fog Dog in so long I had to check and see if they were still being reached by the links I have up.

Gene
    TCS

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'd best start looking over the BF merchant list to replace some of mine who still are quarterly -$50 minimum -ZERO cookie days. I assume they Zero cookie days at this point since in 2 months of BeFree requests the AM hasn't responded with the negative news to populate that field. I have 3 producers there so the system does track if the AM is on the ball.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

Can someone explain the significance of the term NOSAVE in the links at Befree? I can't find any reference to this term anywhere.

Gene
    TCS

ABW Ambassador
    I think NOSAVE was a netscape 2 ?? directive that is not part of the official web standards and is ignored by most browsers.

It is supposed to tell the browser not to cache the 1x1 image. Removing it doesn't kill you.

The fact that NOSAVE still shows up in all link code shows a great deal of neglect by reporting.net.

Although BeFree isn't picking up many new customers (I think they had only two new merchants in the last 4 weeks, they still have some nice ones...like TD and IBM.)

I thought it would be nice to hear if the company had anything positive planned for 2003 or just more mediocrity.

boom!

>>Can someone explain the significance of the term NOSAVE in the links at Befree?<<

We had a big problem with caching affecting impression counts a few years ago. That's why it's there. Does it do much any more? no. Neglect? please.

>>I thought it would be nice to hear if the company had anything positive planned for 2003 or just more mediocrity.<<

We've got lots planned, though I can't talk publicly about any futures. (clearly you know that.)

Consolidate logins should be back soon. We had to redesign it and we're being very cautious with it. I'd rather not screw up anyone's account. I'm not 100% confident on a date yet; I'll give one when I am.

Thanks so much for the thoughtful post. While I'm not "support", I was wondering what I was going to do today. Unfortunately nobody walked by to notice me doing something. Oh well, back to sleep I guess.

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    For the record,

Not so long ago, BeFree was a only a name in the affiliate marketing world. No communication, no representatives at ABW, basically they turned a blind eye to anything other than merchants. They were purely merchant focused.

Today, BeFree is a different animal. BF has changed it's way of looking at affiliate marketing and in my opinion, has made a 360 degree turn around.

Thank you to the many people that listened to me and many others at BF.

Specially, a BIG thank you to Scott. Scott now basically lives here and answers all the questions and issues relating to BF.

I know for Tiger, he has been instrumental in getting the "perceived" BF attitude turned around and has gained the trust of many on this board.

Scott, Thank you for all daily help you provide to Tiger and to our affiliate partners !!

P.S.> If you have problems with other BF merchants, get them to this forum, get them to communicate with you. I'm sure Scott would have no problem providing the same level of service.

Get the other AM's to communicate!!

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

Thanks Andy.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well I do trust BeFree to report every single sale if it isn't hijacked by a parasite. IBM and TigerDirect will never pay a dime out to the preditors, but they suffer from competitor popups served up by Gator, eBates & WhenU.

Y2003 would be a good one for BeFree to start monitoring clicks to sales activity for all their merchant pool. A bell and red light should go off somewhere if a merchant ever goes 2 days without any sales. I see LensExpress deactivated. Could it be from my year long rant they were not reporting any sales???

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

ABW Ambassador
    I know I keep sounding down on BeFree. I really want the company to succeed.

Caching is a problem. I have all sorts of problems with AOL. AOL gets old pages stuck in its craw and simply won't let go. Unfortunately, NOSAVE is not solving the problem. Even worse it causes other problems.

NOSAVE is not considered valid HTML by W3C. Pages with a BeFree tag automatically fail the W3C HTML validator. So we have a situation where BeFree tells us not to change the code, but the code fails HTML validation...meaning you can't use befree code in pages marked HTML transitional or strict pages.

This is the message spewed by the W3C validator:

quote:

This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!
    Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML parser.

Line 13, column 138: "NOSAVE" is not a member of a group specified for any attribute (explain...).

The validator I used was at:

validator.w3.org/

I consider NOSAVE a non-issue, someoneelse brought it up. But the fact that BeFree is giving us code that is considered invalid by w3c (especially when that code doesn't do anything) is somewhat neglectful.

boom!

>>I know I keep sounding down on BeFree. I really want the company to succeed.<<

Tough love?

>>NOSAVE is not considered valid HTML by W3C. Pages with a BeFree tag automatically fail the W3C HTML validator.<<

Fair enough since the browser that it mattered for, while significant when we put it in, is now negligble.

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

ABW Ambassador
    The NOSAVE thing is really minor issue--just as the opinion poll was a minor thing. The consolidate login sticks in my mind because you used to have a completion date, and the date disappeared. Things like that stick in my mind.

I appreciate that BeFree has made some positive steps in trying to tackle the big problems like parasites, and are present on this board.

However, inattention to minor details is sometimes a bad sign.

The real reason I started a thread was just to get your feel as to whether or not the first round of changes to the Partner Gateway improved beFree's bottom line.

I was trying to lead into a positive, the future is bright type post. I tend to get cynical, but still have a small amount of optimism buried away somewhere.

boom!

quote:
    Originally posted by yintercept:
    The real reason I started a thread was just to get your feel as to whether or not the first round of changes to the Partner Gateway improved beFree's bottom line.

I'm not comfortable getting into any financial discussion in a public message board. I'll just say that we're pleased with the Partner Gateway launch for many reasons.
    quote:

I was trying to lead into a positive, the future is bright type post. I tend to get cynical, but still have a small amount of optimism buried away somewhere.

Well, that was a well disguised post then!

I can take a fair punch as much as I like to throw them. It's too bad cynicism breeds a little too well around here, we could have some fun.

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread