Hello,

I feel like I have just about exhausted all avenues in trying to contact BeFree and AOL and actually getting them to reply back. I am still owed well over $800 which were in my reports for May/June last year and no-one has responded.

I have had Brian from "Performics" who AOL now use as one of their affiliate companies, contact both AOL and BeFree and they have been told it will be looked into, but as yet nothing has been done. Brian has gone out of his way to try to help, and I really appreciate, but he has done all he can possibly do considering he is neither with AOL or BeFree.

I am at my wits end with this... can anyone tell me what I should do, any advice?

Thank you and looking forward to your replies,

Nabiac

I would highly recommend immediately stopping all AOL/BeFree promotions. I would then send one last notice of your (dated) intent of contacting the BBB with an official complaint to see if that sparks any response.

Thank you for letting all the ABW members know of this very serious issue. I am sure many members will be watching for your progress update in collecting this very large amount of commission due to you.

DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Thank you so much Designerwiz for your super fast reply! I have to agree with you on that. My only problem is, I cannot find an email address so that I can directly contact AOL or BeFree, AOL deleted all of that information last year in June when they ceased operating their affiliate program with BeFree. Some of the reports are still there, but there is absolutely no contact information. I am not sure how to directly contact BeFree either on the matter which is why I have been going through Brian from Performics (who AOL currently use for their affiliate program). I am in Australia, so I am unsure what the BBB is, I am assuming that is your Better Business Bureau?

It is totally unacceptable for a company which has such a public profile as AOL does to treat their affiliates in this way.

Once again thank you so much for your super fast reply!

Nabiac (Wendy)

Hello Nabiac,

I had Kelly do a little digging. Here is what she came up with.

BeFree:
    Gordon Hoffstein, CEO BeFree, Inc.
    BeFree Contact
    Tel: 1-888-421-4548

America Online
    22000 AOL Way
    Dulles, VA 20166-9323
    stevecase@aol.com

or

America Online
    8619 Westwood Center Dr.
    Vienna, VA 22182
    1-800-827-6364
    postmaster@aol.com

Hope this helps you.

DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Thank you so much Designerwiz, and Kelly also.. I shall be emailing AOL and BeFree today and will let you know the outcome of this.

Kind regards,

Nabiac

I think BeFree is losing it. I have contacted them 3 months ago about a different merchant (Gamestop.com) that owed us money from May 2002 and they never paid us. BeFree is STILL looking into it.
    When they start losing affiliates they shouldn't wonder why.

$800 Dollars are worth the time to investigate into details. The Problem is, that the same happens to all the $5-$100 Commissions at BeFree and Linkshare.

Here we can see once more, consolidated payments for affiliates are very important.
    We made that clear in BeFree's Survey and hope that they and also Linkshare will get it.

Thousands of Dollars are sitting on Accounts waiting to reach the minimum, waiting to get paid after 90 Days or more or sit on accounts of ex-Merchants with the hope they will pay one day.

CJ has it's disadvantages and problems, Performics and ShareASale are small, but hell, I know, that I will get paid. I can discuss CJ reversals with CJ and the merchant and be mad, but the merchant has to do something to NOT pay me. With BeFree and Linkshare the merchant has to do something to pay me and that's something some merchants "forget".

The consolidated Payment is worth a lot. More than BeFree and Linkshare realize.

We were affiliated with AOL through BeFree as well, but only a short period of time.
    I can't find an email from them dating back that far.
    I hope, that DesignerWiz's information will be enough for you to proceed.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    Shop-Links.net
    Shop-Links.net Affiliate Program

If you can't move things, try harder!

I heard back from Brian from Performics who has been doing his very best to try and help me with this.. mind you, the problem doesn't lie with Performics, so he has gone out of his way to help me. Here is the reply:

Wendy,
    I received this from our AOL account exec this morning...

"At last, some good news! Here is an update from BeFree regarding Nabiac's
    payment:

Befree researched this, and found that the affiliate WAS paid for those May
    2002 transactions, in two separate checks. One check covered 4 leads from
    between 5/1 and 5/3/2002; and the other check (which they will receive in
    the next 2 weeks) covered 41 leads from May 2002 and 6 leads from June 2002.
    That accounts for all the leads represented in their screenshots."

I will post here again as soon as I receive this cheque. Thank you everyone for your input into this!

Nabiac

Nabiac,

Sorry, I've been out of the office for a week. I'm glad to see that some resolution came out of this.

AOL left our program many, many months ago. Since they're resposible for paying out their last payments, it's tough for us to do anything but press them on the issue. I hope the recent resolution indicates that they haven't walked away from their commitments, however late.

Yikole, I'll look into Gamestop.

>>The Problem is, that the same happens to all the $5-$100 Commissions at BeFree and Linkshare.<<

What do you mean?

>>With BeFree and Linkshare the merchant has to do something to pay me and that's something some merchants "forget".<<

We do not let merchants "forget". We're all over merchants to pay on time.

>>The consolidated Payment is worth a lot. More than BeFree and Linkshare realize.<<

We do realize this. Thanks for your feedback in the survey.

--
    scott@befree.com

Thank you Scott for your reply! It certainly has been very frustrating... and it leaves me wondering what power publishers have when we have followed all the rules these companies have when they set up their programs, then they don't follow through.. I mean, many of us send very good highly qualitied and targeted traffic to their sites and it is just like stealing from us when they don't pay up and cut off all methods of communication as AOL has done.

Nabiac

quote:
    Originally posted by ScottJ:

Sorry, I've been out of the office for a week. I'm glad to see that some resolution came out of this.

Yikole, I'll look into Gamestop.

scott@befree.com

Scott,

Did you look into the Gamestop.com issue? I've sent about 10 emails to BeFree back and forth in a duration of 3 months, and they are STILL looking into this issue.
    I know for a fact that I'm not the only one gamestop.com did not make payment to, this happend to other affiliates too. Yet, they are STILL in your program. WHY?

Yikole,

I know this has been going on with you for quite a while and has been dragging on. There have been a number of problems that have resulted in you not getting paid.

I'm not personally involved, but from my walking around I can tell you that this issue has been escalated and there are no less than three people here working on this. I'm told that Gamestop has committed to getting things cleaned up and they are engaged.

I'll watch closely over the next week to monitor progress.

--scott

--
    scott@befree.com

quote:
    Originally posted by ScottJ:
    Yikole,

and there are no less than three people here working on this.
    --scott

--
    scott@befree.com

Scott,

Gamestop.com understands that they can play around since they see how easy they can get away with. If you would just take a tougher stand agains merchants who behave like this you wouldn't need 3 people taking care of a merchant that doesn't pay. You would simply have one person who would deactivate them. End of story.

ABW Ambassador
    BeFree will NEVER take a stand FOR any affiliate. They are all freakin theives~!
    And do you suppose BeFree doesn't KNOW about these tactics? How else do they stay in business? They do NOTHING for affiliates so where is their money coming from?

Hey Scott . . . you want to DO something other than waste peoples' time here? GET THEM THEIR MONEY~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room~!

All I can tell you here in public is that things are getting worked on. We do take a hard position on merchants who don't pay. Issues can take time to resolve. That's all I can say about this here.

Yikole, if you'd like to give me a call I'll be happy to talk to you about this and any other feedback you'd like to share. I always like to hear any constructive feedback.

Brian, I won't further waste your time (or mine) with a response~!

--
    scott@befree.com

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread