Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    How the heck does one create product links and deep links all the people I'm trying to do this with have nothing but banners and there seems to be no system like on LinkShare to create custom links?

Some merchants have products listed under "Choose Products By Keyword Search" but others have nothing...?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    "Lets sell some rocks.....!!"

Mondera.com Partner Management
    90 Return Days : 100% Parasite Free : Fast Support : Commission on ALL Sales.

Visit the Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

ABW Ambassador
    On BeFree, I believe it's impossible to deep-link to some sites. For example, I think Staples.com is this way. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Michael

ABW Ambassador
    Welcome to BeFreeeeee.....

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ... But she only comes when she's on top.

well, hello Chris.

Some merchants have product linking others don't. (I'm sure Linkshare merchants are this way too, no?) The ones that do will have some sort of product link search in their branded area, as you've seen.

Or use the link search tool out in the Partner Gateway. There you can search across ALL merchants' product links.

Michael's right. We do support the concept of deep linking, but not all merchants can allow it because it may bypass their tracking on the inbound click.

Traditionally, this capability is made available directly from the merchant with some instructions. More and more merchants are making a linking tool available in reporting.net, e.g. BassPro Shops. I'm working to get more of those.

And of course there are product datafeeds which we offer for free to merchants and partners.

Honestly, guys, the jabs and cute little eye-rolling icons are boring. If you have something of substance to say, I'm all ears. What I can't do quickly with product changes, I'm happy to try and help otherwise. Email me, call me, whatever.

--scott

--
    scott@befree.com

Thanks for the clear reply Scott.

So would it be safe to assume then that companies that have product links also allow for custom linking and I can modify links to link to pages I want to link to, or would this risk / certainly loose tracking in the process?

Sites that have only banners listed, is it possible to modify the banner landing pages or like in LinkShare are the URLS coded into the link and unchangebale?

Is there any default link URL I can use, like on ShareASale to get round this and link to any page?

Cheers

Chris

>>So would it be safe to assume then that companies that have product links also allow for custom linking and I can modify links to link to pages I want to link to, or would this risk / certainly loose tracking in the process?<<

Generally speaking, product links have product SKUs or other product ID's coded in the link. If you swap in another valid product ID that should work fine.

>>Sites that have only banners listed, is it possible to modify the banner landing pages or like in LinkShare are the URLS coded into the link and unchangebale?<<

Links are coded into the link and unchangeable. However as I mentioned above, it's possible for the merchant to provide a special type of link that takes a URL as a parameter and the click will go that URL.

For example, Tiger allows this, it's documented here:

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=2686068522

The merchant, like Andy, would need to make this sort of link available and give you the instructions. Lots of merchants offer this, but in most cases you have to ask.

Not all merchants can guarantee tracking with links landing on every page of the site and therefore some cannot allow this flexibility. That's why we don't offer this automatically.

>>Is there any default link URL I can use, like on ShareASale to get round this and link to any page?<<

oops, right, just answered that.

In summary, the capability that you're looking for varies by merchant. If you're going to make customized links for any merchant, do yourself a favor and run it by them (or us) to make sure it's cool. Otherwise, you do run the risk that you're slipping by the tracking system put in place. Some merchants' tracking is water-tight no matter where you land, others need the links to land on specific pages (i.e., use the links provided) to ensure tracking.

I hope this makes sense.

--scott

--
    scott@befree.com

Great thanks Scott, I'll mail each Merchant to see what they can do

Cheers

Chris

No prob.

If you have trouble finding out the info for any particular merchant, let me know.

--scott

--
    scott@befree.com

ABW Ambassador
    No cute icons or jabs... Hopefully this is of substance:

Would it be possible to display this information in a standard manner for all merchants?

Thank You.

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ...

>>Hopefully this is of substance <<

thank you.

>>Would it be possible to display this information in a standard manner for all merchants?<<

You mean each merchant's ability to link in this way? Not presently.

Support for this type of linking has been mostly informal and therefore I don't have a list to display. I know that this is important to many of you and I'm working on getting more consistent and formal support for it from merchants. With that will come the ability to display it.

--scott

--
    scott@befree.com

ABW Ambassador
    Scott,

Yes, I meant somewhere within the Partner Gateway. Thanks for the reply, sounds like it is at least being looked into.

I understand that some merchants don't want this, but, for the ones that do, it seems like it would be a benefit for them as well as us (affiliates) to have it be more formally documented.

Thanks.

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ...

>>I understand that some merchants don't want this<<

true.

>>but, for the ones that do, it seems like it would be a benefit for them as well as us (affiliates) to have it be more formally documented.<<

No doubt.

thanks.

--
    scott@befree.com

ABW Ambassador
    I have found that the merchants that allow deep product linkiing are the ones that I have had the most success with. I will not even bother with a company that has just a few banners and 1 or 2 text links. It just isn't worth it.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

For any of the affiliates that are interested, we at OneStepAhead do offer a number of deep links to our site, and we are working to get to a point where we can offer almost a "Base URL" that is trackable, then our affiliates can place the product pages with that base url to give a direct link that is trackable...
    thank you,
    Chris
    OneStepAhead.com

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread