ABW Ambassador
    Hello,

When I first launched my site, I put in (on one page only) a little page that people could go to to find information about the airports and traveling information in Montana (where I live). I initially didn't have any affiliate travel links there - the page was at first just links to MT airports and such. But, I joined Expedia to see if I could get a handful of sales.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I ran a YTD report on them and had 518 click throughs from my site - all of which were heavily targeted (no generic banner ads or anything). Yet, no sales at all - giving Expedia the dubious honor of being my worst performing live merchant on my site.

Both the lack of sales and the high amount of click throughs to Expedia I had (the page the links on is quite buried - I'm not even sure how people find it, to be truthful, as they don't reach it through the SE's) have been a big surprise.

Is this normal for Expedia - no sales on over 500 clicks, and targeted links at that (they say "Click here to make a reservation at Billings International Airport" and things like that)?? Or is something maybe wrong with my links? I use their deep-linking code that will take a customer directly to their site with their destination spot already filled in. Could something be messed up with that?? The links work just fine, but who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

And if Expedia is generally a bad performer for other affiliates, can someone recommend some other travel place that might work better??

My site has grown immensely in popularity, and I would like to start promoting travel programs a bit more throughout the rest of my site (not just buried on this one, albeit targeted page). But, for 500 clicks and no sales, it hardly seems worth the effort (especially since they have no cookie, I just discovered - do any good travel programs have return days?).

Thanks.

Jim

[This message was edited by jimh009 on May 13, 2003 at 06:22 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Perhaps some others can chime in here, but...

518 clicks YTD is only ~115 per month which is really not a whole lot of clicks to make a judgement on (IMO). Some of those are spiders grabbing the links, you testing the links, ...

Still, it does seem as if you should have gotten something.

Which report did you run? One thing to keep in mind is that only commenced travel will show in your revenue reports. [Insert obligatory befree report complaint here] So, if one of those 500 clicks had booked and not traveled yet, its possible it may not show up on the reports yet. I think it should appear on one of the reports. [Who knows which one - mumble mumble]

Sorry, not much help, but HTH some.

Good Luck.

----
    -J
    When you're down It's a long way up
    When you're up It's a long way down

ABW Ambassador
    Hotels seem to convert lower for me than other merchandise. But 0 for 500 is pretty bad.

If you want to try another provider, I like TravelNow.

But I think you might need to do more work on your own than just providing a link saying 'click here for Billings airport lodging'.

ABW Ambassador
    Seems like you're having an experience that i have with travelocity, can't get them to convert, but expedia is doing great for me.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Expedia converting for me at around 1/160 - so no sales after 500 clicks wouldn't be impossible - you could easily get 6 sales in the next 500 clicks and be back on target.

Incidentally, expedia conversion rates seem to have improved lately - maybe they have booted out some parasites - anyone else noticed an improvement?

Affiliate Manager
    For hotels, most affilaites fall in the 1-3% with some notable exceptions on both ends. Jimbo- if you send your account manager a note, they can run your look to book daily or monthly as well as offering suggestions on increasing it- for example- do you promote our rebates? I had one affiliate increase her conversion overnight by 20% by adding those to her headers.

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

ABW Ambassador
    But I think you might need to do more work on your own than just providing a link saying 'click here for Billings airport lodging'.

No doubt there. This page was more of an after-thought than anything else and could definitely need some "cleaning up" and expansion on.

At least it's nice to know that other people are doing ok with Expedia. I was basically wondering if people have had ok experiences with them - since I've got nothing to gauge things against.

Guess I'll hang in there with them and see what happens, cleaning up the page a bit.

Jim

We have problems with conversion of Travelocity but Expedia has some conversions.

Thanks
    Gupta

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread