Have any other merchants come across fake applications being submitted?

Here is what I have found. For the last few days, and into the past for that matter, we have had applications (about 4-5 every other day) submitted with the first name and last name fields reversed, so the last name shows as David and the first name shows as Smith.

For every application like this, the SS#/Fed ID # shows as 320-98-XXXX. The person and address listed in the accounting information, whom I would contact has never heard of BeFree or Affiliate marketing for that matter. Also, the owner of the website who I began contacting through the contact us section had never heard of the person in the contact information.

I noticed this happening on applications in the past and did some more research. One of the common names that came up in these name reversals is "Fears, Anthony A." That person is listed as the contact and in some cases the pay to address for them would show as one "Shizhu Pan" out of England. Ultimately, I think the scam would lead back to him.

So what do you think this is... too much time on someone's hands? Or is this some kind of re-direct commission scheme? I would urge other merchants to search for the pay to contact of Shizhu Pan (who has never been able to be contacted, nor returns messages, emails, probably also fake contact info).

I would be very interested to know if other receive these types of applications and whether or not they have dealt with "Shizhu Pan" or "Fears, Anthony A." (note the name reversal as shown in BFAST).

If anyone would like to discuss offline, my email address is below.

Thanks,

Keith
    kwilson@corp.untd.com

Hi. Yes at OneStepAhead we did have that situation a few times (half a dozen or so)..Fortunately, the apps are for site that are high performers of ours, so I knew something was out of the ordinary right away..I contacted the legitimate owners of the sites to inquiry if they or someone they work with resubmitted a new application for some reason..

They did not, so I of course rejected the application and sent an email (proabably a fake address, but had to do due diligence), telling them their site was rejected and to cease and desist submitting phony applications to OneStepAhead.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Newbee BHO applications, where they pay a fee or split commisisons to a lowly shady affiliate applying to programs where they know they wouldn't get accepted, might also appear. The networks refused my 2 edged sword where both affiliates -Dupers and merchants had to devulge all diversion tactics and even if they used incnet marketing practices at signup time.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Face it, Mike. You were bound to be caught eventually!

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The way the networks mix the Dupers in with their real merchants makes it hard for the AM's to approve new applications. Those selling BHO applications or licencing fees hit those phones and e-mail lists daily. I don't recall any network posting a clean and dirty list of their affiliates -Dupers and merchants when the shuffle and deal off the bottom of the deck. Heck I was even fooled by the likes of ShopatHome/ShopatHomeTV -Looksmart -Gator -Dealtime and numerous frontends for the Opt-Out spammers over the last 5 years.

A big red star needs to go next to any and all affiliate players and those offering commissionable links when they endorse or use INCENT MARKETING practices. That way they are identified as suspects to the AM's since no other group has been more responsible for the shady practices of the pay-per-performance industry. Undue pressure is being placed on recruiting those with the red star into the forces of the Dark Side under the guise of a smart business move.

I think the "try it ..you'll like it" appraoch is used by the Drug Dealers right on down to offering a few "gottcha" freebees. Free trip to Pleasure Island. Next thing you know many in the crowd attending the affiliate seminars have their noses grow an inch everytime the open their mouths.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread