BestBuy asked if I wouldn't mind posting this here for them. This is a customer (not affiliate specific) communication, but since their customers are your users, this is good for you to know about.

quote:

IMPORTANT: E-MAIL HOAX NOTIFICATION

Late Wednesday afternoon, June 18, 2003, Best Buy became aware of an unauthorized and deceptive e-mail to consumers titled "Fraud Alert." That e-mail message, which requested personal information (i.e., social security and credit card numbers), claimed to come from the BestBuy.com Fraud Department. That message was NOT from Best Buy or any of our affiliates.

Best Buy is working with the appropriate law enforcement authorities to quickly resolve the situation. We are working to shut down sites affiliated with that unauthorized e-mail and Best Buy will work with law enforcement authorities to prosecute any perpetrators involved in this illegal act to the fullest extent of the law. If you replied to the fraudulent
    e-mail in any way, contact your bank and/or credit card companies immediately.

No Best Buy systems have been compromised, and our online business is secure. The privacy of your personal information is of the utmost importance to Best Buy and any information you provide to us is handled according to our Privacy Policy.

As part of the preparation for the relaunch of BestBuy.com, online purchasing will be temporarily unavailable beginning Friday, June 20; however, our product information and helpful resource articles will still be available. Rest assured, the fraudulent e-mail will not affect the launch of our redesigned Web site.

If you have any questions, call Customer Care at 1-888-BEST BUY (237-8289) or visit our Online Pressroom.

To find out more about protecting your information, visit the Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Web site at www.consumer.gov/idtheft.
    Thank you for being a valued Best Buy customer.

Hey Scott, I read that too from google news, I believe, very disturbing.

eMarketer indicates that 2003 will bring in $58.2 billion http://www.webpronews.com/wpn-45-200...rExpected.html

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Good to know thta BestBuy's is on top of this Identity CC theft scheme. Any freebee spyware/theftware downloaded program written by 3rd world programmers that creates a open communication backdoor is suspect for a merchant's security department. A merchant with any of these BHO programs logging into their merchant server is a security threat as the programs can plant a trojan into the secure server and pilfer the sellable info.

I work with lot's of ecommerce merchants and their cart program companies and they have been victimized by rogue programs bundled with adwarez. This is not something BestBuys or any other major merchant would like the web public to know. Their favorite mass advertising adware/spyware programs were written by untracable hackers and often have no documentation on security holes hidden within. They often carry the identity/CC thieves "call home" app with them as they log into their ecommerce bank vault.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I got this one, but it looks like the host shut the site down pronto. Reported it via SpamCop and to Best Buy as soon as I got it, but the site had already been removed.

It was just a general spam, I've never been a customer of Best Buy, not had I heard of them.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

ABW Ambassador
    I got this and it took me about 30 minutes to explain it to the live support guy at addr.com (i am pretty sure they use offshore support) before they would yank it. Very frustrating.

It was for the domain:
    http://www.your-instant-credit-reporter.org/

Why anyone would give out all their credit info - to prove it wasn't their credit info used in the charge - is beyond me. But I always worry about people like my dad. I hope they nail these scum and jail them.

Chet

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread