that not everyone lives in the good old USA.

I'm putting together a computer related site, primarily for the US market, and am already getting around 250 visitors per day - but it seems almost all merchants on BeFree are rejecting me because they are 'only accepting applications from applicants who have a mailing address in the United States'.

So far I've been rejected by Dell, Sony, and Gateway - I expect the rest to follow soon!

What's the answer? Do the US accept immigration enquiries based on merchants reject notices?

“There are only two settings, stun and kill...it would be best not to confuse them.”
    --Malcom Reed

Yes, a good number of merchants will reject based on your country being non-US. However, a good number of those will accept you based on a short email requesting consideration.

It's a little extra effort, but may be well worthwhile.

If you'd like my help, drop me a note.

--
    scott@befree.com

Thanks - I'll give it a try...

I do wonder, though, how many UK merchants reject applications from prospective US affilites.

“There are only two settings, stun and kill...it would be best not to confuse them.”
    --Malcom Reed

Understand that this policy is not always based on the naive assumption that since you're from the UK that your traffic is uk based.

There are a lot of different factors that have lead to merchants resorting to that policy. Many can be easily resolved with direct contact with the merchant.

And again, I'm always willing to help.

--
    scott@befree.com

You are right! Some UK merchants do reject US affiliates. Maybe they just want to keep their money in their country.

ABW Ambassador
    Seems harder for a US affiliate to join a UK program, than vice versa.

ABW Ambassador
    Non-US affiliates seem pretty good at rejecting US applicants. I actually think that this is good since national preferences help keep the diversity in the web.

BTW: I don't understand why everyone even wants to target the US market since it is probably the most over saturated market on the net. It is still up in the air as to whether or not the US market will get better in the upcoming years.

The two best markets I could see for say a French marketer would either be selling in France, or selling French goods in the US.

BTW, have you ever noticed that it is pretty easy for a European to get a job in the US, while it all but requires a miracle for a US citizen to get a job in the EU?

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread