I've noticed that when I include BeFree links in my newsletter, the newsletter does not go thru to people using AOL. The only way I can promote BeFree merchants in my newsletter is to create a redirect link that goes thru my website and forwards the person thru to the merchant.

Is BeFree on some sort of blacklist with AOL? Maybe someone at BeFree can get with AOL and have them fix this.

ABW Ambassador
    Interesting, i made a post about my AOL troubles:
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...183#8146089183

I have 2 newsletters i send out through the same service and 1 gets through to AOL and the other doesn't. I'm checking now to see if the one that doesn't has BF links. Yep, the one thats not getting through has BF links on it. I can't wait to test this when i send my next newsletter out. I'd rather not use BF links just to get my newsletter through. Good catch.

Trying it out now, i have a few aol email addresses.

AAHHH, it worked. All this time my newsletter wasn't getting through just because i had BF links in the newsletter. Scott this is something to look into, just because i can't use any BF merchants in my newsletters, something in the links is causing AOL to block it.

Thanks Karen, great find. It was bugging me to death why 1 of my newsletters would go through and the other wouldn't. I even went back and forth with the President of the company i use to send my newsletter to try to figure it out. Reading everything i could about spam filters I am the wiser now, thanks again.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on August 11, 2003 at 02:16 AM.]

TrustNo1,

Thanks for the info and I'm sorry that you've had this problem.

This is an ongoing issue and we do follow up with ISPs on whenever we hear of our links being flagged as a spam indicator. Most ISPs are cooperative.

Unfortunately, as long as affiliates send out spam with affiliate links in them, this will continue to be a problem.

As Chet and Karen have suggested, using redirects through your own domain first will insulate you.

--
    scott@befree.com

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks, i think i'll just used redirects for BF links and keep the others as they are. Good tho my newsletters can get through now

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

I don't mind making a redirect link once in a while, if it's for something that I think will do really well. But it's too much of a hassle for me to do it regularly. BeFree merchants will just not be featured in my newsletter as often....

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread