Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Removed

[This message was edited by Haiko on September 03, 2003 at 04:50 PM.]

hmmmm ... does this mean each merchant from BeFree is going to be utilizing this board???

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

REMOVED

[This message was edited by Haiko on September 03, 2003 at 04:51 PM.]

Looks like I'm the first BeFree affiliate to post here. I signed up as a uSubscribe.com affiliate on 12/30/2000 and have wanted to be able to build a privately branded website with subscriber rewards similar to what it appears uSubscribe is now offering.

I have some webmastering experience and would like to know more about implementing FlexTrack so that users could sign up, buy magazines, and start saving up a percentage of the commision. The idea would be to build long term partnerships with the users so that they would continue to subscribe through my privately branded uSubscribe.com affiliate site, and they would be able to watch their checkbooks grow as they enjoyed their favorite magazines.

It would need to be an automated system and I would like to be able to offer people the ability to pool their money for groups, charities, and individuals.

I read the download on FlexTrack and would like some explanation as to the following:

"You can dynamically add the parameter to the click-through URL at the time of the
    click, but this process depends on your technical expertise and the capabilities of
    your Web maintenance software. Because using FlexTrack requires manipulation of
    link syntax, affiliate partners that use this feature should be technically savvy and
    able to properly maintain link syntax."

What is the best way to securely and safely achieve the "properly maintained link syntax?"

Thanks for the help,
    Mike

Have there been some problems getting things up and running? I haven't been able to access related sites and it doesn't seem like the reporting.net interface is fully functional.

I assume this is just a temporary delay--something that wasn't working properly that will shortly be fixed--but would like any more info.

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you as I have been on the road.

As for your first post...Are you using a database to store your user information. If so then you should dynamically append the user/group id that you are using to track users onto the flextrack parameter.

Again this sounds like a fairly involved project so you may want to do some more general FlexTrack research on this board.

As for your second post I am not exactly sure what you are referring to in "I haven't been able to access related sites "

Per an email sent to merchants by beFree today, reporting is delayed until this afternoon.

Support

REMOVED

[This message was edited by Haiko on September 03, 2003 at 04:51 PM.]

quote:
    Originally posted by uSubscribe.com:
    Mike:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you as I have been on the road.

As for your first post...Are you using a database to store your user information. If so then you should dynamically append the user/group id that you are using to track users onto the flextrack parameter.

Again this sounds like a fairly involved project so you may want to do some more general FlexTrack research on this board.

As for your second post I am not exactly sure what you are referring to in "I haven't been able to access related sites "

Per an email sent to merchants by beFree today, reporting is delayed until this afternoon.

Support

I guess I wasn't entirely clear in my first post. I haven't yet implemented the site and was wondering what uSubscribe.com reccomended as far as hosting requirements and database implementation goes to optimize FlexTrack for my site. I will look further on the board for other FlexTrack info. Also, since my site isn't up yet, I will also try to contact directly at Affiliate@uSubscribe.com.

The sites I haven't been able to access are the ones listed on the uSubscribe.com site as sample private label sites:
    NC Buy Magazine Shop
    Magazines4Less
    Magazines-Risk-Free
    Magazine-Agent
    GetSubscriptions.com
    Further, the link to "learn more about our Private Label Stores":
    http://www.usubscribe.com/affiliate/private_label.cfm
    Takes me to an error page.

Additionally, I can't find any links at uSubscribe.com's Affiliate Center to build links.

NAPsearch --

Hmmm...Not being able to get to the private label sites is not a function of BeFree, so there may be something wrong with your internet connection.

You should also be able to get to most of the private label sites by adding a "http://www." in front of the store names given and a ".com" afterwards : For example: http://www.magazines4less.com

In anycase, regarding your initial question about flex track and offering part of the sale back to your customers -- BeFree doesn't provide any programming support to that regard, so it's not as easy as it sounds, especially if you don't have programming experience or resources. It may be better for you to explore the option of marketing one of the cash-back affiliate programs where usubscribe is sold through, like Ebates. You won't make as much money, but you'll be able to acheive the cash-back objective to your end users.

If you do have programming knowledge, you just need to append each url to any landing page with a specific parameter tag and you'll be able to later run reports that match each tag (like a user id, url encoded email address or some other unique identifier to that shopper) to a specific sale. Then you can go ahead make your calculations, and administer the cash-back part correctly).

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    ROLMAO ...."It may be better for you to explore the option of marketing one of the cash-back affiliate programs where usubscribe is sold through, like Ebates. You won't make as much money, but you'll be able to acheive the cash-back objective to your end users."

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

quote:
    Originally posted by kkcoolj:
    NAPsearch --

Hmmm...Not being able to get to the private label sites is not a function of BeFree, so there may be something wrong with your internet connection.

You should also be able to get to most of the private label sites by adding a "http://www." in front of the store names given and a ".com" afterwards : For example: http://www.magazines4less.com

In anycase, regarding your initial question about flex track and offering part of the sale back to your customers -- BeFree doesn't provide any programming support to that regard, so it's not as easy as it sounds, especially if you don't have programming experience or resources. It may be better for you to explore the option of marketing one of the cash-back affiliate programs where usubscribe is sold through, like Ebates. You won't make as much money, but you'll be able to acheive the cash-back objective to your end users.

If you do have programming knowledge, you just need to append each url to any landing page with a specific parameter tag and you'll be able to later run reports that match each tag (like a user id, url encoded email address or some other unique identifier to that shopper) to a specific sale. Then you can go ahead make your calculations, and administer the cash-back part correctly).

I still can't get to the sites. I'll have to remember to check when I'm at work if they are working for others. Funny thing is I can get on to other sites without a problem. Maybe it is because I used Zone Alarm, although even when it is turned off I still can't get to the site--I wonder what percentge of users this is affecting?

As far as appending each-tag, that does sound like a time consuming process--I assumed it would take SOME work to get my site off the ground. I was hoping the XML data feed would simplify things--XML looks pretty easy to learn the basics.

I guess I'm the only one who can't access the sites?

Thanks,
    Mike

Still doesn't work. Maybe it is because I have Zone Alarm on my computer or some other privacy protection program. If this is the case, the linking/set-up program has a somewhat serious flaw, since these programs will likely become more and more popular.

Can all the other 3 or 4+ other people who are participating in this thread access the sites?

As far as the other affiliate program goes, I think they offer somewhere around 20%. Even if this isn't the case, I've always believed uSubscribe.com to be the best magazine affiliate program on the web.

Anyway, if any one of the affiliate mangaers would like to contact me I would gladly provide my phone number if you contact the address I have listed at Reporting.net/BeFree.

If things are actually working I will still set it up even though a portion of the web users who have my same access problems won't be able to use my services. All I really need is some help getting things started. Please help me. Someone. Please.

I don't have much difficulty programming websites, but I like to make sure things are going to work.

Thanks,
    magazinecash@allstreams.com

NAPsearch, FYI, all the urls work for me on 3 different pc's at 2 locations + web through cell phone...

quote:
    NAP Search:

Does these links work for you?

http://www.uSubscribe.com/subscripti...e=featuredeals

http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click...></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first one does, the second one doesn't.

Claim your space in cyberspace, tag your name and make it look good.

Usubscribe,

Where, on your site, can I do this to your memberbase? Obviously, what is good for the gander ...

Two weeks and Ya ... BASTA!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

quote:
    Originally posted by NAPsearch:
    Still doesn't work. Maybe it is because I have Zone Alarm on my computer or some other privacy protection program. If this is the case, the linking/set-up program has a somewhat serious flaw, since these programs will likely become more and more popular.

It would appear that Zone Alarm has some feature that either:

a) Prevents redirects from occuring or

b) Has the url service.bfast.com on a blocked list to prevent ads from being served.

I am going to forward this on to beFree's tech support group to get their input.

Let me know if this link works:
    http://www.uSubscribe.com/subscripti...e=featuredeals

ZoneAlarm doesn't prevent service.bfast.com, nor block redirects.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Haiko:

Any other thoughts on why this is happening to him?

The first link was direct to our site.

The second link that did not work was a befree redirect link.

All of our private labels redirect users via befree in order to get a sourceid for the visitor. This even happens with home page type-ins.

For an example visit www.Magazines4Less.com and look at your url on the initial page.

quote:
    Originally posted by Haiko:
    Claim your space in cyberspace, tag your name and make it look good.

Usubscribe,

Where, on your site, can I do this to your memberbase? Obviously, what is good for the gander ...

Two weeks and Ya ... BASTA!

Haiko_

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli_

Huh?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    All those links work for me and I too have ZoneAlarm.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

EcomCity:

Thanks...I am thinking it could be another ad blocker that is installed. Does ZoneAlarm change the computer's Hosts file? I wonder if there is something in the hosts file that is defining service.bfast.com as a local ip address...

Also are you a member of our program?

Sounds to me like there may be some problem with DNS. It could be a hostfile issue or at the ISP.

NAPsearch, if you open up a command prompt and type:

tracert service.bfast.com

What IP address does it show for that server?

Who's your ISP?

--
    scott@befree.com

quote:
    Haiko:

Any other thoughts on why this is happening to him?

The first link was direct to our site.

The second link that did not work was a befree redirect link.

All of our private labels redirect users via befree in order to get a sourceid for the visitor. This even happens with home page type-ins.

For an example visit http://www.Magazines4Less.com and look at your url on the initial page.

Well, I figured out what was happening. I had installed a program called SuperTrick that altered the "HOSTS" file on my computer. It is done to block ads and prevent ad-ware and spy-ware sites, and apparently befree got added to their list of sites.

Sorry it took me a while to figure this out--I had been trying a few of these types of programs to prevent the molestation that was happening to my computer(s).

This problem should (currently) only affect a very small percentage of users.

quote:
    Originally posted by Haiko:
    ZoneAlarm doesn't prevent service.bfast.com, nor block redirects.

Haiko_

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli_

I think the problem might be from when I downloaded Kazaa++ Lite for educational purposes and installed the "SuperTrick" option. SuperTrick alters (or adds) a HOSTS file and blocks out ads (and sites) that it deems objectionable.
    This list is rather long, but I will paste it here for educational purposes:

# Adservers and other crappy sites:

127.0.0.1 123banners.com
    127.0.0.1 ad.adsmart.net
    127.0.0.1 ad.ca.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 ad.de.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 ad.es.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 ad.fr.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 ad.free6.com
    127.0.0.1 ad.it.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 ad.iwin.com
    127.0.0.1 ad.jp.doubleclick.net