your homework for today, how can i increase clickthroughs?

Well it depends.... on the site really.

Are you just promoting one product or merchant or several meaning 20?

If only one. Then fiddle with your ad.
    If several....basically fiddle with your ad and increase traffic.

I'm the ladder of several. And I fiddle with the ads. ( I run mostly directory types) so I don't do the hype thing. I just provide information and let the consumer do what he wants and don't worry about click throughs. I focus on sales. And I put the better earners at the top or put at the top of the page what I think sells. I don't do alphebetical or anyother system, just my opinion of what I think works. :rolleyes:

Austin,

quote:
    how can i increase clickthroughs?

Two word answer ... AD COPY!

Haiko

i really asked the question for the benefit of newbies, ive noticed that abestweb is growing at a pace, membership has more than doubled in the short space of time since i joined so i thought the responses to this simply question may be helpful to newcomers

i use adcopy and as leader (i think) mentioned "we recomend" is a good one
    i have also used a top 10 format and ive found an image is worth a thousand clicks

as yikes27 said "basically fiddle with your ad" and "put the better earners at the top of the page" are things i do but would have forgotten to mention

anyone else want to toss some ideas in?

ABW Ambassador
    Two more words: targeted traffic -- to me, the MOST important aspect of successful click-through.

treat your free search engines listings just the same as your pay-per-click - only target the traffic you really want

>>an image is worth a thousand clicks<<

Text links have had the highest clickthrough on my site. The only image ad that's come close has been a tower ad for Rail Europe--and even that usually doesn't pull as well as a simple text link does.

>>Two more words: targeted traffic -- to me, the MOST important aspect of successful click-through.<<

No kidding! I have a European travel site (a "content site," not an e-commerce site), and my users are single-minded about clicking through on items related to travel and nothing else. I've just started trying to expand their horizons with art prints and posters from Art.com, and we'll see how that goes. But right now, I get most of my clicks on Rail Europe, EuroVacations, and some non-CJ sites like Auto Europe. (Not too many sales at this time of year, though--and the sales that I get are from non-CJ merchants at this point.)

@ europeforvisitors
    Take a look at my site it might give you a few ideas YouTrek this was my main site (first site)
    I then diversivied (that don't look right) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] made another travel related site Backpacking Mall This fetches in far more than Youtrek. I still have to go to that terrible 8.00 - 5.00 place though.

1)Go to your site.
    2) Find the Ad you want to increase clickthrus on.
    3)Click on it

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I follow the Leader, and this month has proven to me that she knows what she's talking about!!!

Targetted traffic. I don't want a million page views a month. Not unless that's going to bring me a million dollars, that is :eek: .

Numbers to re-inforce the tip for newbies:

I have a footer that goes across several domains. Pages on the domains are all very targetted, narrow focus. If someone found it, they were searching for it, not cruising. Anyway, the footer has a gift basket link in it. That link gets over 2,000 impresssions a day. NO clicks. Ever. Cuz it's not on a page about gift baskets. Had this link been on a page about gift baskets, I'd bet it'd do very well. But noone shopping for pink French widgets cares about gift baskets starting at $35.

During the October costume crush, I ran a FineClicks lead offer on a free candy drawing. This link was on a page that was getting several hundred page views a day, and a couple of hundred click throughs a day to the costume merchant. You guessed it, almost no clicks on the candy link, and certainly no leads.

Personally I still need to learn more about ad copy. I can't quite break my 60% CTR even on my targetted pages. Leader does better, and someday I will, too! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I guess it would help if I spent some time learning to write ad copy instead of logging in to abestweb all the time. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Targetted traffic and ad copy.

Although it wasn't me who mentioned the specific words "we recommend", I have found that there had better be SOMETHING saying that the product/service on the page is superior. Use sales adjectives. Get excited! (I will warn that I like to do a Hard Sell. But even a "soft" sell should never be a BORING experience!) Exciting can take many forms. I prefer lots of exclamation points, but it can also be done with visual presentation, etc.

As for the specific words "we recommend", I personally avoid that because it seems to imply that I have some experience with the product. It's not feasible for me to have customer-side experience with all my merchants. Those words also seem to invite feedback, and Customer Service Is The Merchant's Job!

Don't forget that CLICK HERE are the most beautiful words on a web page. Don't overdo it--a person can't click "here", "here", "here", and "here" too. But ONE "CLICK HERE" can do a lot!

Sure, "click here" is used a lot. Because it WORKS!

Put a banner. It'll probably get 0 clicks itself, but it seems to add credibility that you are indeed promoting a "real" merchant. One exception: Some banners are truly awful/amateurish. If that's the case, it can be better to forget the banner and use a pic or something to add the visual interest. As for other graphics, that would depend on your skill. Better to just use a banner/merchant-supplied pix if graphics isn't your thing (it's not mine).

Give multiple links on a page, especially if you tend to run long on the ad copy like me. One at the top to catch the attention-impaired and one at the bottom (don't punish those who read your whole pitch by not having a link they can easily find, at the end of it!) at a minimum.

On the other hand, too many links works backwards. I've seen some pages with what seems like 10 links all competing for attention. That's TOO many, and X is what's likely to be hit.

If you do a short pitch of only 2 or 3 lines, one text link can be enough, depending on the page design.

Try not to have too many merchants on a page. At least with me, pages with multiple merchants get a much higher "X-factor" than those with one or two.

Get a MerchantName.com link on the page when you can. I don't know what the people are thinking, but some people will click that above all the others. If you run CLICK HERE and MerchantName.com on the same page, and then some other link (3 text links), you'll see that the great majority of clicks will be on the first two, with the other one only getting a few. Banner links will get the occasional fluke click.

And yes...people who CLICK THERE because you told them to, will also buy because you told them to, for the most part...

Bonus tip: If the merchant has a short cookie, tell the people to Buy Now in some way (I usually don't use the exact words Buy Now, but what I say means that) and you can negate most of the bad effects.

Right on "Dirt Lady." follow Leader's advice or she will plant you in her garden once it thaws out.

And here's a tip that depending on your traffic can make you an extra $10 to $100 or more per month.

If you have a content site, go join,one or all the following affiliate programs goClicks, find what or bendOverture.

Then at the bottom of each page put a text link to one of the search engine pages that says:

Click Here To Find More Information On (your
    pages topic here).

You will probably see about a 20% or so click thru rate to the link.

All three programs pay 2 cents per click thru
    so if you get 100 visitors per day to your page you will earn about $.40 to $.50 per day or about $10 to $15 for every 100 visitors.

Don't put the search box...put the text link.
    We made over $500 from Bendover last quarter
    and have made over $50 this month at goClick.

And what is cool, is you can use your earnings to buy keyword listing.

I agree with almost everything Leader has said. All have proven to work on my site.

Instead of the "we recommend" I'll use something like "one of our favorite sites". Could be one of our favorite sites because I make money from it. Either way it seems to work well. If it's a site that I have done business with I always make it know to my visitors. If I feel confident enough to buy stuff there then they should also. It is amazing if I change just a few words around in my spin what a difference it can make.

As for the "Click Here". I think it is a must. I have used it from day 1. Remember, all computer users are not familiar with links. They can come to your website and not have a clue what they should do. Alot of computer users are new and Senior Citizens. They need some help navigating.

As for banners. I agree that although they do not produce a lot of clickthroughs they can be very useful. I always try to add a banner with the text link. Usually the banner on top to get their interest, followed by my sales pitch and then by the Click Here to check it out text link. As for me getting people to click on links I consider myself very good at this. My salemanship is getting better but still needs work. All of the above will work.

Targetted traffic as mentioned above. Yes of course that is the key. The more your keywords are broken down to specifics the better your results will be. I still use the ppc engines heavily which will change at the beginning of the year. I still have a problem on money being waisted on useless clicks. By that I mean by other affiliates checking out the competition, by my visitors coming back to my site the same way they found it(through the ppc engine)there for costing me money everytime they come back. I always encourage them to bookmark my pages which helps a little. One thing I have found is that although I do not get a lot of traffic from Google it is highly targetted traffic.

As for having too much stuff on one page. I agree. That is something that I have changed throughout the months and it does pay off to list your top performers and get rid of the rest. In the new year ahead only merchants that have proven themselves to me will be listed on my pages. No matter what the stats show. If I see a new merchant that looks good they will be tested. If they don't perform for me then they are gone. What might perform well for one affiliate doesn't mean it will for another in some cases.

What Fred says about the search boxes also makes sense. As long as it is on a page that doesn't have good commissions. I'll use them on pages that I pay little money for traffic and that the leads are low. This way if they don't like what you have to offer them you still can get the money back that it cost you to get them there in the first place with the ppc.

Just my

TWO CENTS A CLICK???? TWO CENTS A CLICK???
    :rolleyes: [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Sorry, again I Follow the Leader. I'm spoiled, spoiled, spoiled now. Two cents a click would make me feel...errr....well... I refuse to do it anymore! I just refuse! I will not give my hard earned targetted traffic away for TWO CENTS A CLICK.

On my pages that had really lousy click through and/or horrid CR, I some time ago started putting up Amazon links. I figured someone must have come looking for {eek} content {/eek}, or I really need to tweek my ad copy, and links out to Amazon were my stall technique.

Well, I know I don't Follow the Leader in my use of Amazon (don't get her started about why she doesn't), but I can make more than TWO CENTS A CLICK with Amazon links. Latest update goes to Dec 15th, and stats show that for my unique visitors, I've earned about $.12/visitor. It's actually higher, since the amount earned always lags the orders.

Two cents a click, grumble, grumble, grumble, and send away my traffic with the feeling that they didn't find what they wanted through my site ...icccccccccchhhhhhhhhhh.... pew,phew,pew.

The point, dear newbies, is to indeed have a paying "out" link in case your visitor is not interested in the main pitch on the page. But two cents a click, c'mon...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Professor--I won't have to do any planting--the Market is the most efficient planter of low CTR, low CR sites!

Your search idea for content sites looks like it might be a way to actually get some $$ off of that dud traffic. I don't recall there being an "official" OverSure text link, though...(Just checked--there isn't, at least not on the screens I get). I wonder if they'll pay on an unauthorized text link... after all, it IS a PromoteUsForFree merchant!

Update--Webmistress has homed in on something that I had almost overlooked--that TWO CENTS part! Certainly there's a (legit) way to get more!

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: Leader ]

Specific links were here was under the old system on BeFree...I just never changed it...and they paid us over $500 for last quarter finally.

There is a specific text link for goClick. I switched a bunch of BendOver links to goClick
    because they were on my compost list for taking forever to pay and other stuff.

Obviously you would not put this type of link on sites where you can get sales.

For example: We have 3 content sites - which get up to 500 visitors per day on average depending on the day of the week. These sites are about Astrology, Football Picks and Free Stuff. They are not big money earners but they consistently make about 10 times what it costs to host them and a good chunk of that comes from the 2 cents per click that people make to look for more astrology, football or free stuff.

And we have a Non-incentivized ezine, called
    Cool Stuff 4 You which we send out to 70,000 people each week.

In this ezine we tell our readers about 3 sites we think they may like - obviously it's usually about stuff that would pay us.

But in each issue we have a P.S. telling people about how to find other cool stuff -
    it's a link to goClick. It get a decent number of clicks every issue.

In fact the clicks from this link pays for our ezine hosting and bandwidth.

An extra $150 per month for having a permanent link you don't have to worry about,
    and that you know works is worth it in my opinion - $150/month is $1,800 per year for simply posting a few links.

You won't get rich but he money is money.

quote:
    Update--Webmistress has homed in on something that I had almost overlooked--that TWO CENTS part! Certainly there's a (legit) way to get more!

Leader and Webmistress. There are many ways to get legit exit income. But it depends on what the webpage is about. What I am talking about are pages that payout small leads. Some as low as .05 cents which most people don't bother with. It would be a waste of time and space to add an Amazon.com link when it has nothing to do with why the visitors came to my ecard site. They aren't gonna click on it. They are looking to send an ecard. They do not want anything else but ecards. Not gift shops or flowers or nottin but ecards. Now lets say they don't like my selection of ecard sites. They are out of my site in the blink of an eye. For me to get something out of it be it .02 cents or whatever is better than the back arrow.

I stated in my other post not to put up a search engine on a sales page. For that ya need to have another exit that of course will pay something decent.

Here is a design Tip...

Overtures graphic search boxes can be modified to expand the text entry area by changing the size(12) variable in their text input string.
    input type="text" size="12" name="Keywords"

We set ours at "40" and have had no problems with it recording clickthrus.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: $$$$$ ]

Thanks Professor! I am going to try the search engine on one of my pages, lol, the chicken page.

It has long amused me that a page about my chickens would be in the top 3 of my most popular pages. But nothing would sell on that page!! I tried everything chicken related I could find.

Then I discovered that several schools and a library had listed it as a source. No wonder they are not buying, it is school research and people researching about chickens!!

So, I think a pay per click might actually work well on this page! Thanks!!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

@ Vicki

Did you try stuffing and apple sauce [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] :eek:

LOl, Gordon.

Chicken recipe books, perhaps? Picture books on animals? Reference books on animal life? How to write a book report?

E-cards at Amazon (not through my associate link [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ).

In all honesty, I keep meaning to update the content on my content site to reflect the pay per click search boxes for those who want to add search boxes to their sites. However, if I can find an excuse to send someone to Amazon, even if for more content, I will. It just never ceases to amaze me how folks seem to buy, buy, buy there.

I saw one site on internet marketing that had a right hand column with recommended reading links. All text links to Amazon books. My first experiment with Amazon was on a page for indoor fountains and other stuff that SerenityUnhealthy sell. After no conversions on paid traffic, I put up links to books about how to make your own fountains. Bingo, sold books. Then a smart shopper bought 5 HoMedics fountains at Amazon for half the price SerenityUnhealthy was selling them for.

Still, I don't think I would put ppc search boxes on my content site. If someone is at my site looking for information, they most likely aren't going to like the sales oriented results of a ppc box. It may make money for me, but in the end I still haven't fulfilled my visitor's needs. At this point I have not found a way to make money on my content site and still keep it a good content site giving out good information. I haven't given up on it, but I don't plan on putting up ppc search boxes on the pages to do so.

Hahahaha, can you imagine what happens if your own search results come up in the ppc box? You earn 2c for sending the visitor to BendOversure and you pay 5c when they click on your link from there and end up back on your site...

Someday maybe I'll have a content site that earns money. In the mean time, I will view my content sites as my contribution back to the net, and my sales sites as paying for them :cool: .

quote:
    Two cents a click, grumble, grumble, grumble

LMAO, i couldnt have expressed that as well as webmistress [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

quote:
    Hahahaha, can you imagine what happens if your own search results come up in the ppc box? You earn 2c for sending the visitor to BendOversure and you pay 5c when they click on your link from there and end up back on your site...

Webmistress,
    What you said above would kind of suck. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    I'm sure the folks a JustBendOversure would think it is hiliarious. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Austin Powers..I LMAO every time I cash one of those quarterly $$$$.$$ checks from Overture. To think they grow at .02 at a time.

quote:
    Still, I don't think I would put ppc search boxes on my content site. If someone is at my site looking for information, they most likely aren't going to like the sales oriented results of a ppc box.

Why not????

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

CK, lol that would suck huh.

$$$$$, I also LMAO when I cash the .05 cent sign up checks. Yup, they do add up nicely.

WebMistress, thanks for the link.

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Packy ]

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread