Hello,

I was just curious to see if anyone else was having problems with accessing reporting.net or having their affiliate links constantly time out.

It normally takes me about 4-5 attempts before reporting.net or http://affiliates.befree.com/Affiliates/index.jsp actually display correctly in my browser. I constantly receive "cannot find server" and "the page cannot be displayed" errors. And I have to refresh at least 4-5 times before the login page even displays.

To a lesser extent, I find the same errors happen when clicking on the Befree affiliate links. And I am not just talking about today but I have experienced these problems for several months now.

So, is it just me or is this common with other affiliates?

P.S. I utilize Comcast Cable internet access and have no such problems accessing other sites that I frequent often.

Momentum:

I get this message at reporting.net tonight:

"Systems are undergoing maintenance.
    We regret any inconvenience."

Hi KCO,

Thanks for the feedback, but I actually wasn't talking about just today. I am talking about on a daily basis over the last 3 months or so. All kinds of "cannot find server" errors at reporting.net and on the links. Just curious to see if anyone else had similar problems.

Momentum,

I think there are random, sporadic problems with Comcast's DNS. There seems to be an occasional comcast customer who can't reach us. Not a lot, I've heard of three or so cases in the past 3 months. They tend to right themselves.

It's not their whole network, just in spots. I use Comcast and have never had issues.

--
    scott@befree.com

I don't know Scott. I have been using Comcast for about 2 years now and have only had problems accessing the Partner Gateway and having affiliate link time outs for the last 3 months. I wouldn't be so quick to pass this off as an ISP problem.

When I tried pinging affiliates.befree.com from the ping tool at dnsstuff.com here were the results:

Ping #1: [Destination Unreachable from 216.255.196.188: Port Unreachable] (454ms; TTL=113)
    Ping #2: [Destination Unreachable from 216.255.196.188: Port Unreachable] (437ms; TTL=113)
    Ping #3: [Destination Unreachable from 216.255.196.188: Port Unreachable] (177ms; TTL=113)
    Ping #4: * [No response]

By the way, 216.255.196.188 is not my IP address. In addition, I tried pinging from several other websites with similar results showing 100% packet loss.

So I guess it is not just me.

>>I wouldn't be so quick to pass this off as an ISP problem.<<

I don't mean to be dismissive, but it's not quick. I've been hearing about this on and off for months. I was just having a conversation with someone here who has horrible random DNS problems with Comcast, not necessarily to BeFree.com. There's no doubt in my mind, they have issues.

Whether that's causing your issues, obviously, I can't say. I can say that if it was a problem in our own datacenters, we'd know it.

What IP do you get for affiliates.befree.com?
    Can you ping 66.207.130.115?

--
    scott@befree.com

Scott maybe Comcast has problems I don't know. I do know that I don't have any problems with the hundreds of other sites that I visit. And the various ping tests that I have tried attempt to ping from their respective servers - not my PC. So obviously Comcast has nothing to do with the lack of server response to the ping tests. Check it out for yourself or get one of your techies to check it out.

Here is a sample response from the dnsstuff.com ping test:

Pinging affiliates.befree.com [66.207.130.115]:
    Ping #1: * [No response]
    Ping #2: * [No response]
    Ping #3: * [No response]
    Ping #4: * [No response]
    Done pinging affiliates.befree.com!

Here is a sample result from dnsstuff.com ping test of abestweb.com:

Pinging abestweb.com [216.122.180.169]:
    Ping #1: Got reply from 216.122.180.169 in 120ms [TTL=244]
    Ping #2: Got reply from 216.122.180.169 in 160ms [TTL=244]
    Ping #3: Got reply from 216.122.180.169 in 140ms [TTL=244]
    Ping #4: Got reply from 216.122.180.169 in 240ms [TTL=244]
    Done pinging abestweb.com!

There are many of these ping tests available on the web and I have tried a bunch of them with similar results. And the same results when pinging the IP address.

Trust me, I am not trying to poke a finger in your eye, I have been a productive Befree affiliate for at least 4 years now. And I just want to bring this to your attention so that hopefully something can be done about it.

>>Trust me, I am not trying to poke a finger in your eye.<<

I know.

What happens when you do a tracert to 66.207.130.115? Can you send me that output? Use my email address below

Please send me yours. Services like dnsstuff have their own problems and can be unreliable -- let's not add another variable to the mix.

--
    scott@befree.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread