What is the main reason there isnt consolidated payment in BeFree? We all know that this is a huge advantage and using consolidated payment would probably attract many more affiliates. Is there some techical issues or will it cost too much?

Retired Member
    Befree does have consolidated payments. It is called 1-Check. It is up to each merchant whether or not they wish to participate.

Encourage your merchants to participate.

Retired Member

We do have consolidated payment, but it's only available as part of the new BFAST express product.

Any merchant who is in our main service, BFAST, cannot yet participate in 1-Check. So don't blame them!

The 1-Check program is our first step into the consolidated payment arena. We're learning from this and looking at how we can make it available across the board.

So thanks for answering, Steve, but that's not entirely correct. It's only the merchant's choice in that if they are implementing a new program and they choose to use the BFAST Express service. BFAST Express is more for the small to midsize merchant and is not suitable for everybody.

--scott

--
    scott@befree.com

ABW Ambassador
    Scott, you should note in posts about consolidated payments that B-Fast Express is the low end product from BeFree. Assuming that low end companies buy low end products. Consolidated payments are largely limited to BeFree's "cheesiest" clients. It is also pretty much limited to new customers.

This reason I think this is interesting is that consolidated payments are a very big deal for affiliates. In a sense, the consolidated payments are now undermining the best BeFree merchants.

I hope the management realizes this and expedites the process of creating accounts where all beFree merchants pay into a consolidated account soon.

As moving money between accounts in a computer system is remarkably easy. I am surprise that BeFree and Linkshare haven't simply created a program that accumulates and disperses payments.

For that matter, I am astounded the BeFree hasn't realized how much ACH costs than printed checks.

sound thinking

Thats exactly my point. Consolidated payment makes a huge difference but still isnt used in BeFree, Linkshare and other networks.

quote:
    Consolidated payments are largely limited to BeFree's "cheesiest" clients. It is also pretty much limited to new customers.
    Are you saying that if a merchant doesn't have a large marketing budget, they're cheesy? That's not a fair generalization.
    quote:
    This reason I think this is interesting is that consolidated payments are a very big deal for affiliates. In a sense, the consolidated payments are now undermining the best BeFree merchants.
    Undermining? The population willing to work with the merchants with individual payment hasn't become significantly smaller for it. More affiliates are more actively involved in the Partner Gateway. That's a net positive for everybody involved.

quote:
    I hope the management realizes this and expedites the process...
    quote:
    For that matter, I am astounded the BeFree hasn't realized how much ACH costs than printed checks.

Realizing is not an issue. The devil is in the details, as they say.

--
    scott@befree.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Give Scott a break as this is BF's first venture into consolidated payments. Of course that is the frosting on the BeFree lite program. Scott has promised after this board flamed that shanky FreeCar rip off artist posing as a BF Lite merchants to pre-screen their lower cost startup entries. No posers acting as spammer front ends, legit lead merchants not Dupers, and more product merchants like SurplusComputers.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

quote:
    The population willing to work with the merchants with individual payment hasn't become significantly smaller for it.

A sense of satisfy the current situation ??

The fact is i don't want to waste admin. time on taking care of volume of separate checks.
    Better use the time for more valuable things.

http://8n.nu

quote:
    A sense of satisfy the current situation ??
    sorry?

quote:
    The fact is i don't want to waste admin. time on taking care of volume of separate checks.
    Better use the time for more valuable things.
    That's fair.

We've made changes that I think will encourage you and like-minded affilaites to work with more merchants than you were willing to work with before. In my mind, that's progress.

Should we stop there? Of course not. I would like nothing more than to offer consolidated payment as an option to all merchants. I don't think I've ever suggested that we're finished.

We're taking incremental steps instead of waiting to build the Taj Mahal. IMO, the only sensible approach in this fast moving world.

--
    scott@befree.com

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    As moving money between accounts in a computer system is remarkably easy. I am surprise that BeFree and Linkshare haven't simply created a program that accumulates and disperses payments.

Not having consolidated payments lets Befree and Linkshare hold onto money "in their accounts" which can draw interest "for them". Do you really think they want to eliminate having access to this cash which could be a substantial amount?

It's my opinion that only when they see not having consolidated payment is a detriment to their ability to compete will they look to change this.

It looks like they recognize this is a huge issue with many affiliates and are taking some positive "baby steps".

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!

quote:
    Not having consolidated payments lets Befree and Linkshare hold onto money "in their accounts" which can draw interest "for them". Do you really think they want to eliminate having access to this cash which could be a substantial amount?

Actually, we keep all the money in a big room. I like to go jump around in it.

Happypoon, honestly, this affiliate marketing legend just isn't true. In fact, it's the opposite. It is fun to imagine the vaults full of cash though or somehow attach some evil master plan to the whole thing.

Non-consolidated affiliate payment money literally sits in the bank for less than two days. We get it in for each merchant and send it out right away. There's no "float".

Ironically, having now seen first-hand both sides of the fence, the consolidated payment model sits on a lot more money for much longer periods of time. (not that interest is being earned.)

quote:
    It's my opinion that only when they see not having consolidated payment is a detriment to their ability to compete will they look to change this.
    Competition is good, isn't it? That's not all that drives us. We do like to give you what you need and want.

--
    scott@befree.com

ABW Ambassador
    Not having consolidated payments has not stopped me from promoting Befree merchants. I have made significantly more with Befree this month than with any other network.

Yes, consolidated payments would be nice, but not having it doesn't stop me from promoting those merchants that work for me.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

I don't see a need for consolidated payments from any network as long as the payout terms were kept to a minimal amount.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Actually, we keep all the money in a big room. I like to go jump around in it.

I always like the fact you have a good sense of humor.

quote:
    It is fun to imagine the vaults full of cash though or somehow attach some evil master plan to the whole thing.

You said that not me - I never implied any such thing .

And yes competition is good. My opinions of Befree have changed greatly in the last year and I look forward to hopefully many other positive changes from yall in the future.

PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!

We were the first BeFast Merchant with Consolidated Payment and my Affiliates that I have talked to think it's great. I would think it would save BeFree alot of money.

Craig
    www.bestforeignparts.com

quote:
    You said that not me - I never implied any such thing .
    Not you nor I. I was referring to the legend. I'm thinking it was some parrot hopped up on poppy seeds.

quote:
    And yes competition is good. My opinions of Befree have changed greatly in the last year and I look forward to hopefully many other positive changes from yall in the future.
    Me too, me too.

--
    scott@befree.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    As usual...surrounded by critics. Basically both me and Scott wish this was kicked off to years ago.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Amen, Mike.

--
    scott@befree.com

It is not just the affiliates point of view.

The bank clerks know me for a long time.

Every time,
    The clerks are suprised to look at a stack of checks issued to me from the same company.

Of course, only from Befree & LS.

They just say, why they don't just send you one check instead. How productive these companies are? Waste of resources and admin. time, postage, etc.

I told them, there are also postal error plus check loss, check printing error, checks damaged by postal staff, too much disadvantage to mention.

When the clerk look at my big checks from CJ and Performics, she says, this is the way to go.

Imaging this,
    I receive $50000 total commission monthly from 5 checks.

I receive $49200 total commission monthly from 250 checks.

You ask me why there is $800 missing?
    Provision for check missing due to postal error or mistakes mentioned above.

Some of these loss may be recovered by replacement checks months later if you are lucky and you have to spend lots of time.

ABW Ambassador
    Scott, you know I don't really think the 1 check merchants are "cheesy." Well, other than that NukeWare poser.

But I knew the implication would get a response.

Personally, I suspect the new 1-check merchants are getting more attention than the full product merchants. So I am hoping that the consolidated checks for the smaller companies will light a fire under the big merchants to get on with the program.

BTW, the reason I think CJ was the first out with consolidated payments and the EPC metric was because they had the most dubious set of merchants. It was not the case of being more affiliate friendly. The EPC was needed to weed out the non-performers...otherwise they would have lost all legitimacy.

Did you ever hear the story of the Troll who cried "cheese"? well now we have.

I know you're a smart guy. Do you ever have a hard time getting a response out of me? Save your incitement for Todd and Stephen.

quote:

So I am hoping that the consolidated checks for the smaller companies will light a fire under the big merchants to get on with the program.

Would you believe that we actually have some foresight and considered this effect?

quote:
    BTW, the reason I think CJ was the first out with consolidated payments and the EPC metric was because they had the most dubious set of merchants.

No doubt. I'll be the first to admit that it's a model that works.

--
    scott@befree.com

But now cj , befree and LS all have
    big names and small players.

We have to identify those poor performers.

ABW Ambassador
    I've figured out that it is not BeFree but the merchants that have been keeping BeFree from having better performance metrics and consolidated payments. I suspicioned that consolidated payments for beFast-express was somewhat timed to get momentum on the issue.

Consolidated payments is really the next step that BeFree and LS should take. Likewise, firing Cliff Claven (Cheers) and going through ACH would save a ton of cash. I mean, Cliff drinks almost as much beer and Norm, and damn, that is expensive.

I keep referring to consolidated payments. Holding accounts would acheive the same result. Rather than writing checks. BeFree would disperse the cash into a holding account. Affiliates could pull from the holding accounts as needed.

Holding accounts could handle micro payments. Making it financially feasible for merchants to drop to a penny minimum payment. Holding accounts let the merchant stick with their own accounting schedule.

With holding accounts, you might be in a better position to get money to the non-US affiliates without big bank fees.

I think there could be a great opportunity for a bank to set up a holding count and dispersal program for non-US affiliates.

I know BeFree is gradually moving in the right direction. It just is a painfully slow process watching iceburgs melt, anyway, I think I will out and watch the trees grow. Each year, the the oak trees by my house get about a millimeter thicker.

yintercept

Paypal is actually a holding account concept.
    But i hate they do not allow non-US to withdraw money in US fund ( i like no currency conversion )

There are a few independent check cutting service company. If they are working as holding account concept, all indy merchants can send money to them. Get one check even you are promoting indy programs.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread