I was surprised to see my first returns from Gap and Old Navy today, because according their Affiliate Agreement they shall never reverse a sale for that reason.

They say that they pay 5% of the sales, but they actually pay 4%, here is their explanation for that:

"Commission will be based on the aggregate amount actually paid to us for qualifying purchases, excluding amounts collected by gap.com for sales tax, duties, gift wrapping, shipping and handling, credit card fraud and bad debt, and allocations of 20% for returned items (using a mutually agreed estimated average return rate of 20% per month) ("net sales"). All available items on our site will be included in the computation of net sales, regardless of whether the item is a fast delivery or special order item. Commission rates are as follows: Commission rate will be equal to 5% of net sales for qualifying purchases."

So if we're already stiffed out of regular commission for returns, why still reverse more sales for this reason?

Scott, can you please look into this?

ABW Ambassador
    I had the exact same thing happen. However, no returns show on my transaction report. My theory (and this is only a theory) is that they credited us with too many sales yesterday, and they fixed the situation today. Just a guess on my part. I'd love to know what *really* happened.

Michael

Maybe it's not just Gap and Old Navy. I had 2 returns show up for me today for eBags. Transaction dates of purchases - 02/02/2002 amd 02/05/2002. Now I owe them money back from sales made 1-1/2 years ago????

Check the report - Transaction Detail - to see when the actual transaction took place in the "Transaction Date" column.

I haven't had time to check eBags return day policy but I think 1-1/2 years for reversal on commissions is just a tad ridiculous. Will we be looking at reversals for this Christmas season's purchases 5 years from now? 10 years from now?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL ..Linda. maybe the purses were worn out, stolen or eBags has a trade in policy?

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Linda:
    Maybe it's not just Gap and Old Navy. I had 2 returns show up for me today for eBags. Transaction dates of purchases - 02/02/_2002_ amd 02/05/_2002_. Now I owe them money back from sales made 1-1/2 years ago????

Well, it wasn't just you, Linda. I also had money disappear from eBags--only problem is, I had no idea from where it had disappeared. It was less than $1.00, I believe, so I didn't worry about it too much. But something is obviously going on with eBags, Old Navy, and Gap.

Love to get the official BeFree reponse on this.

Michael

Sounds like some sort of screw up to me. Did anyone notify Morgan Fairchild and Fran Drescher about the Old Navy issue?

Seriously, there must be a problem with the eBags reversals. It's ridiculous to think that they would take back something 1 1/2 years later! I'd send them a note asking "what's up?" If they don't respond or if they give you the run around, THAT'S when you need to get nasty about it.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Andy

I understand eBag's 2 year reversal is ridiculous.

But, Gap & Old Navy's issue is different. Because they assume that 20% of all items ordered are returner and they lower the comm. rate 4% for that. So they have been auto-reversing 20%, now they also started "manual reversions".

And this violates their Affiliate Agreement with us

The GAP/ON returns were due to the backing out of duplicate orders that were mistakingly loaded into the system.

Things are all cleaned up now.

--
    scott@befree.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread