I'm trying to validate a website of mine that uses Befree links and am running into issues validating under HTML 4.01 Transitional, because of the characters " & " and " = ". My questions is, is it ok to change these two characters in order to be compliant?

I guess the correct structure for & is &a mp; (space inserted between a m to prevent the conversion to ampersand). Is that correct, has anyone had this issue?

And does anyone know what the proper replacementis for = ? Will the links still work, track and be paid on with these changes?

Thanks for any help...

Well I tried replacing the & in the link as suggested by W3C, and it renders the link worthless, any ideas?

Worthless? What is happening? Any decent browser should render the &a mp; (space inserted) properly.
    Unless you are using a htaccess (or similar) redirect to an url with &a mp;, that means trouble. But then the url containing the &a mp; would not be on the page you are validating

The "=" problem is probably because = is not an allowed character between & and ;

You might want to try substituting %26 for the ampersand in the URL.

Jim

About the only way you're going to be able to validate with W3C is by placing the link code in a Javascript file and do an include.

It just will not validate. I gave up as the maintenance on the js includes as it seemed like double the work. I do try to be in compliance with everything else on the page. I also leave out comments between

ABW Ambassador
    I've been replacing the & with an amp on various sites. BeFree is tracking some sales and impressions. I would not be surprised to learn that I lost a large number of sales because BeFree has difficulty conforming to internet standards.

BTW I really like the ampersand free CJ link format. Now that BeFree and CJ are owned by the same parent, I hope BeFree implements the CJ link format.

For that matter, since BeFree simply redirects to the merchant, I see few reasons why they shouldn't be able to allow both the elegant CJ link format and the awkward BeFree format.

CrassCommercial.com

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    quote:
    & with an amp on various sites

If I understand you are putting the amp in same as when frontpage adds this to the & to
    it, resulting in &a mp;, is making your link untrackable
    You may want to confirm with BF as think they even claimed so much in here before

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread