I currently use amazon.com but i'm pissed that they don't offer any cookies.

Does any merchant on the befree network sell cds that offer fair cookie length as well as fair commissions?

------------
    Jeff
    Associate Editor
    Ping! Zine
    www.pingzine.com

while I never liked the 24 hour cookie they've given us over the years, it is not the same as NO cookie. you can find 3 hour cookies all over the place if you look hard enough, and some of the merchants don't even tell you that.

alternates have been cussed and discussed in AMZN's own forums for years. The consensus usually comes out that the others don't have quite enough to offer. personally, I'm divided between pushing books and non-books -- the non books are paying more now.

I've been with them since early 1996 and I think I was about number 7000 or so to sign up. I even got a t-shirt when they announced their 200,000 sign-up. They've made so many changes (confusing, isnt it?) I'm still trying to find out where they're going and how I can make a buck on it when they/we get there.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

Despite their lack of cookies, low commissions, relatively high prices, quarterly payments, and other negatives, Amazon.com converts well. That makes them tough to beat.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Michael:

I think Amazon will continue to be part of our mix for some time to come, although it's presence will continue to shrink.

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

Barnes and Noble affiliate program at BeFree is the nearest closing match for Amazon. I haven't seen much sales from either of the programs though. Even my education website which sells books gets me fewer sales from the programs while other book store affiliates bring good money

B&N does an incredible amount of affiliate business online, the only problem is that they are teamed up with EVERY parasite there is so make sure to append serverside redirects with &afsrc=1 or frame your links.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

I think cookie length and Amazon is a red herring. The reason is that books are not as price sensitive as say a diamond purchase. If I were to buy a diamond I would be looking at multiple sites on the web and doing one hell of a lot of homework over several days. For a $10 book I am going to buy there and then, so cookie length does not matter.

I believe cookie length should be related to the consumers behaviour.

Amazon converts very well for me and on specific targeted books, cookie length for them is irrelevant. Also my stats are showing 66% of purchases are getting the extra 2.5% so users are clicking on my link and buying that book there and then. [thank you cusimano!]

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

quote:
    Originally posted by Haiko:
    B&N does an _incredible_ amount of affiliate business online, the only problem is that they are teamed up with EVERY parasite there is so make sure to append serverside redirects with &afsrc=1 or frame your links.

No wonder their conversions are so low. Just couldn't put my fingers on why I could sell Amazon and not BN... Now I know.

I don't use serverside redirects, could you give a quick explanation of framing links?

Takk!

Paul K. Gjenvick, Webmaster, Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives

A Framed Link

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

If the visitor clicks on 'remove the frame' is the cookie still protected?

http and a telephoto
    Thanks for the explanation Haiko, I also couldn't figure out why over the years I have a steady stream of Amazon sales and zero BN sales when I had links to both up. My BN links are pretty much gone and now will go away totally!!!

I have also reduced Amazon's presence on my sites, but they are making consistent sales so the links will stay. And the Cusimano script converts sales the best. I need to update my templates, checking stats I see way more people hitting them than I knew about

CD and non-book sales are climbing in January and were pretty good 4th quarter so something is working.

Deborah Carney
    Link up!
    Submit your sites, if you fit the criteria
    http://coolcraftsites.com/directory
    http://coolpetsites.com/petlinks

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread