did anyone else get an e-mail from BeFree stating that someone has tried to log in your account and account is disabled for 3 hours?

Not today, but that is what happens when someone tries to login.. forgets their login or password. 3 strikes and beFree puts it on hold for 3 hours.

Lizabeth Sorensen
    518-233-7431
    AIM: emerchantconsult
    liz@eMerchantConsulting.com
    www.eMerchantConsulting.com

"Affiliate Program Management for Merchants"

That's right, it could be an honest mistake if you have a common username that someone might think is theirs, or if someone's guessing logins.

The latter won't get far with this lockout rule.

--
    scott@befree.com
    AOL/Yahoo: sjangro

ABW Ambassador
    Scott,

Speaking of people trying to log into accounts...a feature I like to implement on secure accounts is a login history. Such histories show log in times and login IPs for an account. It would also list login failures for an account name.

I've always figured one of the best security features is to provide users with information on when and where their account gets accessed.

CrassCommercial.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    3 strikes and beFree puts it on hold for 3 hours.

Yeah, that's true--and it's a royal PITA when I forget my password. I think they should allow more guesses! More than once I've remembered the PW on what would have been the 4th try, only to find that it's too late!

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

I have an account there. I even think I put up some links at some point. But, dang if I can remember the password or even what e-mail I used. So, I guess I won't check the stats.

Must not have been anything important. Hey, maybe some day I will get a mistery check.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

quote:
    Originally posted by Leader:
    Yeah, that's true--and it's a royal PITA when I forget my password. I think they should allow more guesses!

Actually, I believe it's six guesses, not three.

And, the email that gets sent when this happens has a code/URL that you can use to unlock your account immediately.

The "Trouble?" link below the login fields has a quick form where you can enter your email address to request your username and password.

Yintercept, interesting idea. That concept seems to have stayed with the *nix login and not made it's way over to the web. I've never seen a web interface with a "You last logged in from xxx.xxx.xx.xxx at 11:11 1/11/04".

--
    scott@befree.com
    AOL/Yahoo: sjangro

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread