ABW Ambassador
    I recently joined both Figleaves UK and USA programs (I'm in the UK) and made a test purchase from the UK site as an extra Christmas present for my wife.

The sale value shown on my Reporting.Net stats was less than my order value, and hence my commission was down.

Figleaves reasons were the deduction of certain items from the sale value prior to calculation of my commission:-

1. VAT (sales tax)
    2. The additional gift box that I requested and paid a pricely sum for.

Whilst I accept point 1 I am seriously aggrieved at point 2 - it's still a sale generated by my traffic for which they earn a revenue.

Figleaves state that this item is not classed as commisionable as they make no profit on it, but anybody who fails to turn a profit on a cardboard box which they sell at £3.50 (over $6.00) must, in my opinion, be doing something wrong!

[This message was edited by microdot on January 09, 2004 at 02:08 PM.]

I agree

Gift rapping is were companies claw back their GP %

It’s just a bit sad that affiliates are thought of having no business sense

Especially when they can turnover more than one of the merchant’s land based stores

Cheers
    Richard

ABW Ambassador
    I have an email in with their AM basically saying that I do not accept their explanation and demanding my commission.

It will be interesting to see their response.

Post the reply as it affects alot of people

Its not just this merchant

Its amazing with AdSense that merchants have not changed their ideas

AdSense makes 5.24 times more a month than all my sales with all my aff.. programs . I spent three weeks building an info site and $$$

Good luck

Cheers
    Richard

[This message was edited by cos on January 09, 2004 at 03:14 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    I certainly shall, although I think I know what the response will be.

When you take into account that Figleaves USA is partnered with eBates that kinda tells you what you need to know

Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and I 'aint about to give up

The irony is, I only applied to their programs because I have traffic to my site which is people looking for theirs, otherwise, taking the eBates into account, I would not have even bothered with them in the first place.

Now here's another interesting question:-

When you request a bra of a specific size Figleaves may adjust it automatically. They claim to do this because of differences in sizes made by different manufacturers.

They did this with my test purchase and I had to return said item. I requested a replacement of the correct size.

What's the betting that they will use this to reverse the commission?

I believe that you'll find that almost all merchants will exclude S&H and giftwrapping (if offered) from commissions. The merchant agreement probably stipulates what the affiliate will receive commissions on. Because giftwrapping requires special handling, chances are merchants are not making the kind of money you'd expect since there is extra labor, packaging and if everyone had gift wrapping, it would probably slow down their operations considerably if giftwrapping wasn't standard.

Regarding the returned merchandise, take it from a former accountant that they should reverse the commission on the original sale and if they work things correctly should apply a commission on the exchanged new item shipped back to you as a replacement. Would be interesting to see if they follow through on the commission on your replacement item.

Paul K. Gjenvick, Webmaster, Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives

ABW Ambassador
    What a surprise - they refused my request.

They still claim to make no profit on a £3.50 / $6.00 cardboard box.

I asked them specifically if the box actually cost them £3.50 / $6.00 and to date have had no reply.

You have been warned.

Microdot why don't you return the box and demand your money back. Tell them you were not satisfied with the quality

ABW Ambassador
    Grumpy - that is an excellent idea (ooh, you are eeevil)

Hi Microdot,

I've only just ventured to the BeFree section of ABestWeb so I've only just seen your posts.

You failed to follow up this post with my reply:

"I've been told by a colleague that we make no profit on these. I'm not sure exactly how this is made up - it may also factor extra labour and additional postage costs due to the larger size of the box, but I'm not 100% sure."

Pretty much along the lines of Gjenvick-Gjønvik's post.

quote:
    When you request a bra of a specific size Figleaves may adjust it automatically. They claim to do this because of differences in sizes made by different manufacturers.

Microdot, the only time we change sizing is with (for example) French or Italian band sizing, or when a different country uses slightly different sizing. If this is the case we list both the original size and the Figleaves size. However, I believe with your order this was not the case and you received the size you had chosen.

quote:
    What's the betting that they will use this to reverse the commission?

Yes, if an item is returned the commission will be deducted from your balance. If the item is exchanged, the replacement is classed a shipped item, which you will earn commission on.

I hope this clarifies these issues - but please post if you have any more.

Regards

Graham Keen
    Figleaves.com

graham.keen@NO_SPAM_figleaves.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Over 120 brands...Fast FREE Shipping

ABW Ambassador
    I failed to follow up with your reply beacuse it did not present any new information and merely skirted around the question.

I also failed to mention how many emails I had to send and how many of them were ignored before you bothered to reply with your non-answer.

I still not believe that you make no profit on the box.

On the size issue you are incorrect. Figelaves did send the wrong size.

I wish you would clarify the issue, or at least answer my questions properly but know that this is very unlikely to happen based on my experiences to date.

Never mind.

i agree microdot i have sent emails as well with no response. sales missing i thikn the best solution is to just pull links. until it is resolved!

ABW Ambassador
    Call my a cynic, but I don't think Graham would care too much about that.

Microdot,

I think you've got me all wrong.

I believe I answered your question about commission on gift boxes - we are a very open company, but giving you the breakdown of labour costs, materials etc we will not do.

Can you clarify the bra situation? Did we send you the wrong size bra?

If there are any more questions you want answers just post here.

Sil

I've replied to your email, and I can see the sales in my report - please let know if you can't.

Regards

Graham Keen
    Figleaves.com

Microdot,

I believe I answered your question about commission on gift boxes - we are a very open company, but giving you the breakdown of labour costs, materials etc we will not do.

Sil

I've replied to your email, and I can see the sales in my report - please let know if you can't.

Regards

Graham Keen
    Figleaves.com

Microdot,

Sil

Regards

Graham Keen
    Figleaves.com

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry Graham, I don't think you have answered my questions satisfactorily at all.

I believe my final question to you was Do the gift boxes cost you £3.50 each.

You still have not answered this question.

Microdot,

the boxes do not cost £3.50. Some of the cost is made up of additional labour and printing.

Please could you clarify the bra situation for me.

Thanks

Graham Keen
    Figleaves.com

ABW Ambassador
    The bra size sent was wrong.

I cannot remember the exact specifics but noticed when browsing that the size chosen was often automatically changed to an alternate size.

I seem to remember reading something in the faq / help section of your site that said this was perfectly normal and had been done by Figleaves in order to attempt to level out the slight size differences from different manufacturers.

On this occasion this did not work. The bra received did not fit on arrival.

We have since returned this item and received a satisfactory replacement with little fuss.

ABW Ambassador
    And then there was silence...........

microdot,

I am glad you sorted out your problem eventually.

But I would just like to vouch for Graham from Figleaves. I think if you asked most UK affiliates on a recognised UK forum, you'll find that he is a very proactive affiliate manager who values the relationship between the merchant & affiliate by openly assiting and communicating without burying his head in the sand...as well as being a genuinely decent gentleman who you can also have a laugh with.

Mine's a Guiness Graham

ABW Ambassador
    I have noted your opinion.

I have my own opinion based on personal experience and the facts of a particular situation.

quote:
    Its amazing with AdSense that merchants have not changed their ideas

at the risk of going 'way off-topic I must say I'm shocked at the number of new "merchants" in some networks (not this one) who still think they can offer a penny and get signups.

and I really wonder what discussions go on behind the scenes about adsense and if the network people have actually caught on yet that there is real competition for the publishers that formerly weren't making very much from their sites.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread