Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    I'm doing a little research on BeFree and wanted to hear your comments and gripes about the program.
    For the affiliates using BeFree do you have a good idea of who your audience is? are you able to receive detailed information regarding your sales?
    Do you think that BeFree would be a good fit for lead generation.

I want to hear the good , the bad , and the ugly

ABW Ambassador
    Good things about Befree:
    1) Scott Jangro
    2) Good name brand merchants along with niche ones
    3) Detailed reporting with products sold information
    4) Easy to find new offers
    5) 1-check payment (although old and most merchants are not yet part of that)
    6) Easily available datafeed

Things I want Befree to work on:
    1) Customer service - it takes ages to get a reply if you at all get a reply. Merchants never reply when contacted through Befree contact form.
    2) Direct deposit
    3) EPC statistics
    4) Consolidated payment (covering all merchants, not just 1-check for small, new merchants)

OK, that sounds pretty standard.
    From a affiliate stand point, do many merchants have lead acquisition programs? are they successful for the affiliates....

Don't do it until you hear their announcment.

1. Consolidated payment for *all* merchants
    2. PayPal option

quote:
    Originally posted by Sve:
    1. Consolidated payment for *all* merchants
    2. PayPal option

NOPE

Once there was 4, now there be 3....

Befree to merge into CJ.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

oh for crap sakes ....what is this?

"We will be making this announcement to the public with a press release tomorrow and adopting a single Web site at www.cj.com. From the homepage of the newly combined site you will be able to login into all of your accounts including the CJ Account Manager for advertisers and publishers, BFAST, and the BFAST Partner Gateway. Look for other developments on this site during the coming months."

This is not a good sign in my books. Hello??? trying to get away from the CJ account manager???

and does this mean that we'll have to pay the CJ fee for the formerly free BeFree datafeeds?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    From a affiliate stand point, do many merchants have lead acquisition programs? are they successful for the affiliates....

There are a few lead acquisition program. However, most programs are triggered by a payment. Unforunately, I suspect that there are many less than honest affiliates who fill lead programs with less than valuable leads. There is a large incentive industry that give their client base rewards for filling out garbage leads.

Affiliates with quality traffic often don't do well with pure lead programs because the price for the leads has to be set for the incent programs.

As for the other question about gripes. My biggest gripe is that there is no performance data for small affiliates. I have to join a program and send them a thousand hits to figure out if they are legit.

The company is gradually improving its quality.

quote:
    There is a large incentive industry that give their client base rewards for filling out garbage leads.

Are most incentive industries like this? We're not interested in garbage leads at all, and would consider giving bonuses on valuable leads. Do most affiliates work off of PPL in this case, or CPA acceptable?

Catherine - LinkShare has a Canadian Network, if that is what you need. Who knows where BeFree will be after the Merger? I think that the technology will not be supported for the longhaul. There investment in it has been limited over the past two years - IT IS SOOOO SLOW.

I have seen people needing lead gen move away from CJ in your position, because the account managers don't understand it and demographic targeting because they can't give you detailed reporting on all of your affiliates. LinkShare is much better at reporting and analysis.

Getting better lead gen requires a sophisticated solution and a solid account manager.

ABW Ambassador
    I really shouldn't have used the term "garbage traffic." There are different interpretations of the term. It really is a question of the quality of the lead.

A large portion of the traffic from an incentive site is people filling out forms to get the incentive. For example, I might have a program called MyIncentivePoints. I pay my users a dollar for each PPL program they join. They have to fill out fifty forms, then I send them a check. This program will generate a great deal of leads. However, the leads are from people who want the dollar and may not be interested in your company or service. Even worse, they all have filled out 49 other lead programs meaning that they are saturated.

PPL and PPC programs also have to be extremely vigilant about fraudulent traffic. You will get people filling out forms with names that don't exist, etc.., to get some free money.

Now, here is the problem for affiliates. Fraudulent traffic is worth nothing. Incentive traffic is worth very little. PPL programs end up pricing the amount they pay for leads on this low quality traffic. That means sites with quality traffic don't get paid what their traffic is worth.

I agree with the other post that PPL takes a great deal of vigilence. My approach to PPL and PPC is to auto reject all incentive programs and parasites. I would not worry too much about small sites, but would audit all sites that are generating a fair number of leads and be aggressive in culling the herd.

quote:
    and does this mean that we'll have to pay the CJ fee for the formerly free BeFree datafeeds?

in a thread in the CJ forum someone broached the idea that BeFree affiliates with enough traffic should be given feeds. Todd thought it was an interesting proposition.

kcasper13,

I know that you work for LinkShare. This is very unprofessional. Please refrain for postng your LinkShare propaganda in competitors' boards. Do onto others as you would expect them to do onto you.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Does 2 programs when I check constitute a Canadian Network???????

quote:
    Originally posted by Catherine G:
    I'm doing a little research on BeFree and wanted to hear your comments and gripes about the program.
    For the affiliates using BeFree do you have a good idea of who your audience is? are you able to receive detailed information regarding your sales?
    Do you think that BeFree would be a good fit for lead generation.

I want to hear the good , the bad , and the ugly

I just had a message that be free is joining up with cj, and I don't want cj. Be free was supposed to be for former linkshare merchants, I have a few, but it's back to deleting ads again.
    These merchants are like ping pong balls.I also want to thank Herb for his message, it helped.
    jj

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread