If you are a sole proprietor and you are expecting a 1099-MISC from a BeFree merchant you should probably follow up with the merchant as BeFree tell me they accidentally didn't include sole proprietors in their 1099 reporting to merchants.

If you just ignore it and dont report the income you will probably get a nasty letter from the IRS when the merchant realizes their mistake.

If you do report it without a corresponding 1099 and the merchant later sends a 1099 you will have to change and resubmit your tax return

Overall its probably best to chase up any merchants who paid you more than $600 last year to get a 1099.

Mark Mitford
    RevShares.com
    Solutions for Affiliate Program Managers

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    If you do report it without a corresponding 1099 and the merchant later sends a 1099 you will have to change and resubmit your tax return

There is no reason you would have to resubmit a tax return unless you under-report your income.

These 1099's are a pain in the @ss. It is much easier faster to write total income than to have to separate it all. Wish they would not require 1099's for checks written to a business.

Jimbo: what I meant was unless you correct your tax return to move the money from other income to a 1099 the IRS will likely spot the "missing" 1099 and send you a letter asking for an explanation, if you are unlucky it may even get you audited.

Mark Mitford
    RevShares.com
    Solutions for Affiliate Program Managers

Is BeFree responsible for sending the 1099s or are the individual merchants???

The reason I'm asking is I had an interesting chat with an particular company that had used BeFree for the past 4 years, in that time they never generated a 1099 for their affiliates, they claim it is BeFree's responsibility since they cut the checks. I generated over $600 in commissions with them and tried to find out where my 1099 was, they claim BeFree should have sent it.

However, it has been my personal experience the past 4 years that once you clear the $600 mark the individual merchants send you a 1099. I've never received a consolidated one like linkshare does.

For now I'm reporting their income in that "other" income category on my taxes since it doesn't sound like I won't be getting a 1099 from them anytime soon, but I would like to follow up with this company and point them in the right direction.

Thanks!!

BeFree is really an oddball when it comes to 1099's. They cut the checks, but they print the checks in such a way that it looks like the checks come from the merchant.

BeFree probably SHOULD be the party responsible for sending the 1099's since they send the checks, but they push it off to the merchants. I think BeFree provides the merchants with a report that will show which affiliates need to receive 1099's.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    All i do is hand my accountant all th 1099's i get and from the rest of the BF merchants just total it up and that's all my accountant needs.

I work in lounge pants

quote:
    If you just ignore it and dont report the income you will probably get a nasty letter from the IRS when the merchant realizes their mistake. If you do report it without a corresponding 1099 and the merchant later sends a 1099 you will have to change and resubmit your tax return

Don't know how likely that is. There are major penalties for late 1099s. Most merchants would probably just not send them than have to pay the penalties.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread