I'm not certain if all BeFree associates know this, but here is some information I received from Michele at MusicSpace.com in regards to Norton ad blocking Software:

Symantec has bundled ad blocking tools into several of its Norton brand products, including Norton Internet Security, Norton Personal Firewall, and Norton AntiSpam. The ad blocker works by stripping out the ad from a web page as the browser is loading it; so the end-user never even knows the ad is there. The above products have the ability to update their block list dynamically by requesting an update from Symantec's database. At some point in January, service.bfast.com was added to the list.

Why this is bad:

Symantec's ad blocker creates two challenges for us and our partners:

1. Lost revenue: If ads can't be seen, they can't be clicked on. We, our merchants and our partners all lose revenue as usage of Symantec's products increases.

2. Increased costs: The ad blocker is turned on by default, even though most users buy Symantec's products for other reasons (most commonly, to protect against viruses and network intrusion). Many users who install the software (or get it pre-installed on a new computer) may not even know that the ad blocker is there. Webmasters, and our internal support teams, end up responding to the inevitable questions coming from users who wonder why pages they visit look so odd.

What is being done about it:

We do have a solution available now, which can be used by affiliates of BFAST merchants. By switching links to the host name "service2.bfast.com", affiliates can prevent their links from being blocked. To make the change, affiliates must manually modify their links. The tag generator on the Partner Gateway will continue to generate links using "service.bfast.com".

If this is a redundant post, I apologize. For those that didn't already know, please take a look at the last paragraph and change your links accordingly. Hope this helps.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Thanks that is good info to know. In case you have not seen it here is a ton of info I wrote about the issue complete with screenshots.
    and some OTHER POTENTIAL WORKAROUNDS.

http://www.5staraffiliateprograms.co...s-revenue.html

ABW Ambassador
    Is this an official announcement from befree? Or was there one that I missed?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I sure would like to know if this host name change to "service2.bfast.com" would work on Norton link blocks without effecting tracking. Scott at BF should have the answer if he pops into ABW.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Sounds like a merchant emailed this info. If I were a BF affiliate I would want to know for certain links track AND someone who has Norton needs to test. If the service.bfast.com url was blocked, maybe the root is too therefore service2.bfast.com would not work either, I assume. But I would sure have this info checked out to be certain.

http and a telephoto
    If this did work, why wouldn't they make it available on the link builders and in the datafeeds AND email affiliates about the change.

Definitely need to here from Scott or someone at BeFree directly on this one.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Probably the only thing you lose by switching to the new host name is that old cookie overwrites won't happen.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread