Gateway to Close Stores,
    Eliminate 2,500 Positions

SOURCE: WALL STREET JOURNAL
    April 1, 2004

Gateway Inc. announced plans to shutter all of its retail stores as the struggling computer maker continues to try to revamp its operations.

Gateway, Poway, Calif., said Thursday it will close its network of 188 company-operated retail stores on April 9, eliminating about 2,500 retail jobs in the process. Gateway had 384 stores at the peak in 2000.

The company said it will continue direct sales of Gateway products to consumers and businesses via its Web site (www.gateway.com) and phone orders. Gateway also said it plans to pursue wider retail distribution of its products in the U.S. and abroad.
    Liz Welsh Tompkins
    Styleforfree.com
    email: [email="lwtompkins@styleforfree.com"]lwtompkins@styleforfree.com[/email]
    [url="http://twitter.com/styleforfreecom"]Twitter[/url] | [url="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=625631089&ref=name"]Facebook[/url]

I once worked for Gateway as an out-sourcer and I HATE THEM LIKE POISON!!!

Am I allowed to say that?

It's a free country right?

I feel your pain just trying to send them affiliate sales!
    Liz Welsh Tompkins
    Styleforfree.com
    [url="http://twitter.com/styleforfreecom"]Twitter[/url] | [url="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=625631089&ref=name"]Facebook[/url]

Thanks Liz

I would love to go into details but that would probably be litigious.

They partner with parasites anyway.

ABW Ambassador
    Rad, all computer horror stories are anecdotal. Gateway is the star of my tale, Dell is the, well, let's just say they're not my favorite

When I took over as the Computer Drafting manager of a manufacturing company in the early 1990's, I was somehow also given the duty of computer tech and purchasing manager. My first efforts at upgrading the Dell PC's were an effort in futility, resulting in so many hours on hold and in returning incorrect parts that it was more cost effective to throw the computers in the dumpster than to deal with them any further. Customer service was a joke. For the next ten years or so, I bought nothing but Gateway computers, to the extent that I was given a corporate rep. and a direct line to a tech support person. In ten years I had to call tech support exactly three times, twice because of power failures in monitors (for which replacements were delivered the following day) and one other time, the severity of which couldn't have been too great because I can't remember what it was. Every time a Dell rep contacted me, I sent him a running total of our Gateway purchases and a reminder of why I thought their company sucked.

Last year, after being Dell-free for over 12 years, my ex called me about a problem she was having with her new Dell laptop. After unsuccessfully dealing with the problem and tech support, she finally returned it and bought a Gateway. It took over 6 months for Dell's so-called "Customer Service" to credit her credit card account.

Wouldn't pay a penny for a Dell. Wouldn't recommend them. Wouldn't put a link for them on my sites. Let 'em sue me.

The ironic part of this story is that a client gave me the computer I am writing this on as part of the contract. It has been nothing but problems. It's a Dell.

Wayne

Great post Wayne! Very insightful.

I will say, as a recent biz customer of Dell's, I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with them for an issue with the internal wireless. Out-sourcing with Dell is so prevelant, the person(s) I spoke with didn't understand what I was talking about. Called Linksys who helped me straighten it out in 7 minutes flat -- and they didn't even have to.

From a sales perspective however, I can't sell Gateway's for the life of me, but can move the Dell's. I hope with Gateway's shifting of online sales this will help matters.
    Liz Welsh Tompkins
    Styleforfree.com

ABW Ambassador
    Liz, I have had Gateway pages using their datafeed for the past few months without a single bite. Haven't tried Dell links for the reasons I ranted about above.

My mother held a grudge against Ford for her entire life and I'll also likely hate Dell long after I forget why.

Wayne

I must admit I am a Gateway fan and have never owned any other computer. Trouble with Gateway these days is that they are just not offering anything spectacular - unlike Dell who have been promoting some great deals. Gateway used to ship all their computers free but now they only seem to offer free shipping on certain systems. I've sold more Dell systems than Gateways, which is a pity, as their commissions are better. With Dell offering their Dimension 2400 at $499 before $50 mail-in rebate, Gateway needs to come up with the goodies to compete.

ABW Ambassador
    I have never been a Gateway fan exactly, but I am a fan of buying computer brands with the worst reputations.

I bought Packard Bell when everyone said they sucked. And I just bought an eMachines laptop over the strong objections of the sales twerp at Best Buy.

I don't currently promote any computer manufacturer. The only one I would consider at the moment is Apple.

But they all partner with parasites which, together with the low commission in the industry, puts me off. I'd rather spend my time at the moment working on merchants who offer higher rewards.

I know many people do very well from computer sales.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Dell used to build systems and push OEM peripherals based upon the quality of the components. Gateway always build to the cheapest supplier price regardless of quality or service parts availability. Then both went down hill except for their top of the line products.

The only 3 notebook manufacturers always building to a quality standard are IBM -Toshiba and Sony. Low end desktops are a complete whores market due to Dell decimating pricing. Heck the Compaq and HP lines used to be quality at all levels ...no more. Gateway buying the POS eMachines brand should be a hint as to where their headed.

Idiotic that todays PC manufacturers can't grasp that anyone can build a top quality system if the assemble with tried and true components. Top Quality -case/powersupply -Western digital or seagate HD, stable motherboard, seperate video card, reliable CD-dom/CD-RW, expensive quality KB, Major brand OEM monitor and mouse.

Difference in manufacturing costs between using the cheapest parts and the top quality parts is 100.00. The bean counters ruined this industry with their cost cutting. Had they spent the extra 100.00/system they could get by with cheap outsourced service phone reps and eliminate DOAs.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I hate to sound like an opportunist when so many people working at Gateway Stores will be loosing their jobs, but has anyone heard about clearance sales at the stores. I know of one place getting out of the computer biz in August, and was planning on buying a new laptop then, but if I can get a good one now, well….

I was a 'cheap outsourced service phone rep' for Gateway 4 years ago. I thought at that time they were using pretty solid compoments.

But they were delivering far too many machines with loose parts rattling inside the case.

Also, they shipped with the system blanket-copied to the hard drive, with the correct drivers, along with a system CD, all too often, with wrong drivers.

Support nightmare.

(That's not why I hate them.)

This was Gateway Europe, of course.

I went to them straight from Apple, and any PC manufacturer is bound to be a let-down after Apple.

I build my own PCs. If it breaks there is no-one to blame but myself.

No way do I want to get involved with support calls.

NewcastleB here's the only one way to buy and use a notebook. Think resale/trade-in value after the notebook is 2 years old. Take my advice and 30 years experience as a computer VAR -computer retailer & wholeseller. Always buy only a Toshiba -IBM or Sony notebook and never anything but a lightweight closeout model.

The smaller and lighter notebook holds it's resale value better then any other models. You can buy that Sony 505 ultralight closeout for 1530.00 (retail 2495.00) use it for 2 years and sell it to a friend or family member for 1100.00. These light notebooks should be used at home or office with an external CRT/LCD monitor and fullsized KB & mouse. Carrying a 4 lb lightweight IBM thinkpad or other brand on biz trips or sales calls is a dream for gals and guys used to lugging those 8-10 lb behemouths.

Would your friend like paying 100.00 per year to carry a top quality notebook? Well since 1985 I've never paid more then that and often paid ZERO to carry a notebook. My lightweight wonders always get snatched up by an anxious buyer someting for more then I paid at closeout prices ...and I just go get another good deal. Last 2 years I moved 7 personal notebooks to clients, friends or bar gawkers at a profit and all were the lightest weight IBM thinkpad models.

PS; there are only 6 actual notebooks manufacturers in the world regardless of the brand name on those boxes. Neither Dell or Gateway ever manufacturered a notebook computer.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Mike, that’s pretty much what I’ve been doing. Buying laptops at closeout using them for a while and selling them only to buy a new one (cheapest was $100 turned around and sold it for $700 on Ebay). I just don’t want to wait till August for a Sony.

OT Question. I was laughing on the phone last night with another ABW'er and they told me a great joke. Coffeee proceeded to spill all over my 6 mo. old Notebook. Cleaned it immediately, but some keys are not working, a few others are doing double letters. Do any of you tech guru's know if this is something that can be fixed? Or is the notebook toast? Luckily I'm typing with a USB keyboard - otherwise this post would look like: UE#@aaU$@IWEKJ||||dkjkk0834893993

Thanks!
    Liz Welsh Tompkins
    Styleforfree.com

Whoops!

It's usually possible to take the notebook apart - keyboards are replacable components. If you're lucky it might be OK after it's dried out thoroughly.

You'll have to check the manual for details of how to remove the keyboard.

Other people with more laptop knowledge might have some better suggestions.

Hope it's OK!

Most KB's can be lifted out from the case with a few small screws. Then poor acitone over the removed KB and trap spillover in a small aluminum tray. Use hair dryer or just let acitone evaporate.

Thanks a mil Radegast - great suggestion! Will have to try this tonight after work

PS = L'oreal Colour Experte highlighting brushes make excellent keyboard cleaners. They get right in there without taking the keyboards apart & grab all the dust out. Beauty/tech tip of the day!

Liz Welsh Tompkins
    Styleforfree.com

Cool! Thanks a mil Mike
    Liz Welsh Tompkins
    Styleforfree.com

ABW Ambassador
    Sony's sure look nice, and you might get more of your money back in a couple years when you sell it to someone else who is fond of the look and marketing.

But you can get a much better performing notebook with better components with an out of fashion brand (and put the $1000 you save into mutual fund).

People buy the Sony name, they don't even care that the performance is so much lower.

You can see I pass on these tips to my savvy computer shoppers ...front page

Sony Vaio V505D Pentium 4 Mobile Processor 2.2GHz / 256MB / 60GB / CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive / 12.1" XGA / XP Pro Notebook PC
    This one is the one I would purchase based upon selling and installing computers for over 30 years to small business clients. Sony quality throughout in a ultra light weight power house notebook under $1350.00. Use it for 2 years and sell it to your best friend without shame for $1100.00. That's how you judge a good notebook purchase.

Sony's VAIO V505 Series notebooks are designed to pack an incredible amount of performance into a sleek, stylish package. This elegant Vaio V505D with its speedy, powerful Pentium 4 2.2 GHz mobile processor represents the stunning integration of Sony's full video and audio entertainment capabilities with the latest innovations in information technology.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...SRCCODE=BEFREE

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread