Look at the last few topics on BeFree. All related to link that are not working.

There is an obvious problem, some of us having. In my computer my links are not working. In other computers they work fine. How about the potential buyers' computers? God knows.

Can BeFree please take a look at what's going on? What's causing the links not to work in some computers?

I had one customer who couldn't get any BeFree links to work about a week ago. So far, it's been an isolated problem. I haven't heard from any others.

1) I had her check "nslookup service.bfast.com" and it was fine.
    2) I had her check her hosts file. It was fine.
    3) I had her check for spyware with AdAware. Nothing.
    4) I had her check Linkshare and CJ links. No problems there.
    5) I had her check the merchant's site directly. No problem there.
    6) I had her check BeFree links for multiple merchants. None worked.
    7) I had her do a traceroute, but the results were inconclusive since ICMP is disabled somewhere upstream from BeFree.
    8) It wasn't a short term problem. She tried again the next day and it still didn't work.

There certainly appears to be something new out there that is affecting only BeFree links, and only in a very isolated way.

Scott: If you want to follow up with this lady, drop me an email. I'm sure she would be willing to help diagnose it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

With respect Sam, if there was a widespread problem, it would be more than a few people. "gary_hendricks" was really complaining of lack of sales, not a link not working. And every "links aren't working" post is typically followed by several "working here".

So, the problem is likely on your end or at your ISP where they've got a broken DNS cache or something. I hear that occasionally. Try ping or tracert to service.bfast.com and send me the output. (they can't get all the way to the server as they're blocked at the server, but the IP address is what's interesting).

Michael, our posts crossed. You're right that ICMP is blocked, but the traceroute is still telling. The most common issue is that the ISP's DNS is giving a bad IP.

I'm having this problem with yet another customer.

* nslookup service.bfast.com returns 63.215.202.147 (which is correct).
    * His hosts file is fine.
    * He has no spyware.
    * Linkshare and CJ links work fine for him.
    * He can go directly to the merchant's site with no problems.
    * None of the BeFree links he tried (for several different merchants) worked.
    * He tried with two different browsers (IE and Opera) with the same results.
    * BeFree banners aren't showing.

I don't know what else to have him check.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

quote:
    Originally posted by MichaelColey:
    I'm having this problem with yet another customer.

* nslookup service.bfast.com returns 63.215.202.147 (which is correct).
    * His hosts file is fine.
    * He has no spyware.
    * Linkshare and CJ links work fine for him.
    * He can go directly to the merchant's site with no problems.
    * None of the BeFree links he tried (for several different merchants) worked.
    * He tried with two different browsers (IE and Opera) with the same results.
    * BeFree banners aren't showing.

I don't know what else to have him check.

You'll probably find they have some kind of ad blocker installed, so if you tell them to dissable it, everything 'should' work afterwards.

But why isn't it blocking CJ or Linkshare links? Every ad blocker I've ever seen hits all three of them.

Also, why is he seeing the exact same problem with both IE and Opera? Most ad blockers are browser-specific, except for ones that use the "hosts" file. I've ruled out the hosts file both by examination and doing a successful nslookup of service.bfast.com.

This is the second customer I've had with this problem.

Scott? Are you reading this?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

My customer figured out the problem. Here's what he reported back.

quote:
    After a ton of experimentation..., I finally figured out what is causing the [BeFree] link to hang. It is Sun's Java Run-time Environment SE 1.4.1_02. After deinstalling it, all the [BeFree] links work great...
    It doesn't really make sense to me, and it's possible that it was just a coincidence. Hopefully someone from BeFree can check this out.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread