Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I heard IBM's affiliate manager Mark Woodmansee take a firm stand on the parasite BHO theftware issues today. They do not want their brand in anyway associated with shaddy affiliate marketers or spammers, who do not adhere to brick-n-mortar business standards.

They, like other major merchant's, do want it fair in revenue share and have reviewed some of the best practices shown at ABW to produce commissions for affiliates. IBM says they have no known affiliations with any parasitic BHO application or spamming operation. They also have the internal capabilities to monitor disruptive BHO applications, and if need be acquire detection S/W and "one click" un-install programs to insure their millions of business client systems aren't threatened by BHO installs. Many patched and badly written Adware/spyware programs cause their customers systems to not function properly resulting in excessive warranty servicing expenses.

Mark has committed to run an aggressive affiliate program to increase sales through approved affiliates. The highlights as far as I'm concerned follow:

IBM will develop more DHTML product displays and push higher conversion landing pages to their top selling products.

IBM will follow TigerDirect's stand to be 100% parasite free and will go one step further ..they will not allow Opt-Out e-mailers to receive IBM sales commissions. They sell TD their top refurbish -end of lease -and discountinued products so I guess they will stick to new items sales.

IBM will support FTC legislation to protect the copywrites of all domain owners based upon the existing rules governing Truth in Advertising -Fair trade laws and broadcast channel advertising.

IBM will raise their cookie duration to a minimum of 45 days based upon their own internal studies, which I pointed out to them showed IBM.com purchases required several visits for normal purchases.

IBM affiliate manager will provide random test purchases to verify link tracking and will look at ways to credit commissions for small business leasing options and 800# order placement.

Obviously any listing of IBM as a Merchant in a questionable parasitic program is false. Guess it's safe to put up more IBM links for Christmas.

WebMaster Mike

IBM is a mighty big ship to turn, but it sounds like they're pretty progressive in this matter and if someone as big as them is coming down on the side of all that is right and true, that truly is music to my ears!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Very good to hear IBM taking this stance. Hopefully, more will follow.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

WTG Big Blue!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Neat that IBM has the 5 cents per click ..plus commission to offset any leakage and reward traffic generation.

WebMaster Mike

Mike, a couple of key points in clarification and to further yours. IBM is absolutely committed to protecting the integrity of affiliates' earned commissions. The sites associated with parasitic practices are not in our program, and only a few exceptions ever were, but no more. We also recognize that online visitors require multiple opportunities to shop before making their buying decisions, and we presently honor what I believe is an industry best 90 day cookie duration.

Earlier this year we increased many of our commission tables, and have added additional IBM brands such as refurbished IBM PCs. Much has changed with our program during the past year, and I hope you will consider participating, as we head into what will prove to be a very aggressive promotional period during the upcoming months.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    This is great news!

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

Well more links to IBM are going up in my malls as I appreciate a major merchant who allows return shopper visits. it's nice to see some of my BF merchants post their return days while others try and sweep theirs under the rug by not even responding to BeFree's request for the info.

Welcome to ABW Mark and we all appreciate 'Big Blues" stand on being parasite free. You'll find that when the "incent" BHO shopping bar crew find they can't get paid for hijacking traffic to IBM they will not devise hidden ways to signup for your program. Other merchant's are finding out they're half pregnant without a stance.

WebMaster Mike

Great news, thanks Ecomcity!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

The one thing thta is irksome about IBM is thta they can't seem to keep their affiliate enabled web site online. Load up several links per page and the DHTML displays and if their server is down or malfunctioning the pages won't load. Maybe Andy at TigerDirect can sell them a backup web server for emergencies.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you IBM and WTG!!!! This is great news.
    Mark, Welcome to ABW...hope to see you around here more often [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

spread the great news about Big Blue - so gradually the shadowy ones may realise what the name of the game is going to be very shortly:

read my lips:

C - L - E - A - N

way to go, Big Blue!

ABW Ambassador
    this is great news, and I'd be happy to join their pgm, but I can't find it at befree. is it someplace else?
    internal?

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

IBM's program does appear to be private now. They weren't always. Their program info is here, including compensation:

http://www-1.ibm.com/partnerworld/pw...e_program.html

The link to register is near the bottom.

--scott

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

How can I join? since I'm already an affiliate. I shouldn't have to fill out another application? It says my username is already taken duh. I think so :0).

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Jason,

The way to join a private program is to create a new account.

There is a feature in the Partner Gateway, consolidate your logins, which you can do with the login of a private program. Unfortunately, the consolidate feature is not available right now. We've had a few holdups in getting it back online and the plan is to have it working in January.

(We've got a lockdown on any non-critical changes through Christmas so we don't risk breaking anything.)

In the meantime, you can operate the second account and then consolidate the login in January.

So yeah it sorta stinks to run two separate logons, but that's what the merchant has chosen to do with a private program.

--scott

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

ABW Ambassador
    If you are planning on applying to IBM, you need to make sure that you have a privacy policy posted posted prominently on the front page of your site.

Even if you don't have a dynamic web site, IBM wants to see the privacy policy, prominently displayed.

You should note that you track usage, and that your site includes third party advertisers that track usage. You might want to link to the BeFree or IBM privacy policy.

I didn't have a privacy policy and they deactivated me until I got one. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Protophoto - Short Stories

ABW Ambassador
    Humm. This has caused me to think.... So by "tracking" their clicks and sales, (but no personal information) we have to disclose that? We really don't collect any personal information on any of our sites. We are a "in and out" kind of affiliate. Get them in, and then move them out. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

So not sure what I'd put. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I think it'd be the shortly privacy policy on the net.

but thanks for the info. I'll put something up before applying.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

I'm delighted to see the string of excitement related to IBM's Program and believe we will mutually benefit as merchant and affiliate partners.

I see a number of new topics that I felt warranted a response:

1) WebMaster Mike, I appreciate your signaling us on the problems you were experiencing and have the understanding we are now remedied - if that's not the case, let us know. As for the backup server, no thank you - we have plenty... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

2) Joinging IBM's Program - as Scott points out, we recently made a very tough decision to turn off FastApp through Be Free. You may or may not be aware, but there is a growing merchant problem related to phantom affiliates that are looking to make money illegally through percent of sale programs. Please bear with us on this one - I recognize this as a burden to those legitimately interested in joining the IBM Program. Hopefully this will be a temporary measure, and meanwhile I ask for your cooperation.

3) Privacy Policy - I imagine we have one of the more aggressive corporate positions related to Privacy, and in some business areas such as an affiliate program it may seem tough to rationalize. Our interest is to protect our mutual users and customers, and separate ourselves from many of the abuses that are taking place on the web. Along with the Affiliate Program information on the IBM link noted above, you'll also find helpful information on creating a privacy policy.

Thanks for your interest, and wishing you all happy (and successful) holidays!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Here's the specific link to the info they have on crafting a privacy policy: http://www-1.ibm.com/partnerworld/pw....html#crafting

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Thanks for everyone's input on the links associated with IBM's Affiliate Program. I'll share one more, which is intended to be a bit more intuitive:

www.ibm.com/shop/affiliates

From here you'll find links to apply, FAQs, privacy policy, and more!

we sell both Dell and Apple on our site.
    not IBM.

IBM do not accept sites owned by non-U.S. affiliates, even if their traffic/sales are mainly generated in the U.S.

so, we shall go on happily selling both Dell and Apple in the U.S.

not IBM.

ABW Ambassador

IBM is basically a very honest corporation.

Way to go, Big Blue!!

RadarCat
    http;//www.os2warplinks.com

Well I sent them a few unanswered e-mails warning them of the new BHO sheisters and the cookie stuffers. They pretty much run their program on auto pilot and it's a darn shame they really don't come here and get educated on how to make an honest program better. Can't figure out why they don't just convert better as they never really had a plan for high conversion landing pages.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador

To: EcomCity,

I agree their landing pages are pretty blah.
    Probably why they don't convert well. The last time I looked their text links for 2003 were still online.

I'll send them an email on this set of posts.

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast