The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Did this ever happen to any BFast affiliates?

I rec'd a check for hundreds of dollars (more than 500) - near as I can tell I'm only owed somewhere between 30 and 70 dollars.

Contacted the merchant 5 times - never got a response.

Even went to their website and told their general support to forward message to AM. No response.

Should I contact BFast? Seems like all they'll say is the usual "everything is between the affilaite and the merchant. We just provide the means to track each sale."

I'd invest it somewhere where it wouldn't get mixed up with everything else. Figure they'll come for it after a good audit.

The longer they take to catch it, the more it becomes yours. kinda. well, not necessarily . . . even though you've contacted them they may not notice for a long time, after which they may get a little huffy about it. Better to have it ready to give back for a long time, IMO.

Well I thought I did, then I started looking around and saw that I got bonus money and increased commissions for selling over a certain dollar amount or something.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I doubt it's a bonus if the base check would have only been expected to be between $30-$70.

Personally, if I informed the place and they didn't repond within a few days, I'd throw that check in the bank!

I'd figure that eventually they'd want it back, but in the interim, that money might as well be working for me!

In my opinion, you already did the right thing by telling them, and went above what was necessary by sending 5 notices. I see nothing wrong with cashing it under those circumstances.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Billy,
    I think that Bfree got things between us mixed up. Seems as though I got a check for $45. They must have sent you my check and me yours. PM me and I will give tell how you can send me the check.... Just kidding. I would bank it for a while, find out the laws regarding this type of issue, and document your attempts to contact and communicate with BFree. After the such time as to be able to legally claim the funds, have a party and be sure to invite some ABwebers.

DOug
    Thanks,
    Doug

Cripes! I gotta tell you everything?
    Get on the phone and CALL them! Isn't your integrity worth the price of a stupid phone call?

Do not even think about keeping it. It isn't yours and never will be.

As a last resort, take out the amount you are due and the expense of the phone call and send them a check for the difference with a letter of explaination. Keep a copy of the letter and the cancelled check so you won't have to risk paying taxes on it.

You do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Check your Payment History, then do a payment history detail on the merchant. It should tell you what it is for.

Here's the "bizarre" stats (with my comments):

Click- throughs 40
    Items Ordered 43 (C'mon! That about 100% EPC!!)
    Ordered Sales $1,765.50

(then for some reason, they shipped more than what was ordered)
    Items Shipped 60
    Shipped Sales $2,865.50

(then 47 of the 40 sales cancelled!!!!)
    Returns & Cancellations 47
    Base Commissions $45.35

(so if any of the above stats make sense - which they don't - I'm owed 45 bucks)

I checked the The Payment History Detail and saw:

Commission for affiliate site: 10.00% of sales: $262.00
    Payment for surpassing a tier: 5.00% additional payment for sales of $2,620.00: $131.00
    Payment for surpassing a tier: 5.00% additional payment for sales of $2,620.00: $131.00

Total $524.00 (this is what I rec'd)

It appears even though they didn't respond, someone actually got my emails.

As of today, my commission report is "in the red" for this merchant: ($232.75)

But any way you look at it, the numbers don't add up.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Better make some impeccable records--of your own!

That accounting department of theirs sounds totally messed up. Next thing you know, they'll probably try to get $1000 from you (the extra they sent + another $500-worth of screwups in the other direction)!

quote:
    As a last resort, take out the amount you are due and the expense of the phone call and send them a check for the difference with a letter of explaination. Keep a copy of the letter and the cancelled check so you won't have to risk paying taxes on it.

If it wasn't for the vast potential for more fubar-age, I'd agree. But I'd bet if he did that, that money would get vortexed into a black hole and then he'd be dunned forever, for something he already paid back.

I've had stuff like that happen. Sometimes it's just better to wait for the dunning notice, because then at least someone would be on the lookout for the money and know what to do with it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I'm NOT calling them.

I'm NOT spending a single penny of my money.

I've posted 560 posts, and at least 555 had the same recuring theme - UNRESPONSIVE MERCHANTS.

I hate unresponsive merchants.

I email merchants with "Hey looks like you paid me twice" - NO RESPONSE

I email merchants with why didn't something track - NO RESPONSE

I email merchants with "the newsletter you sent us states 10% commission, but your listing at CJ or Linkshare says only 3% commission - which is is?" - NO RESPONSE

I email merchants with "all the links available to us say "Expires March 15" - it's now August - can you update your links" - NO RESPONSE.

I hate unresponsive merchants

I email them once

Then I email again on a different computer that still gives delivery confirmation receipts

Then I go to their site and try getting a response that way

That is all I'll do to get a merchant to respond (except for the occasional BBB complaint to get their attention)

Well, if you have already made up your mind, why did you ask?

If you are looking for permission to keep something that isn't yours, forget it. You have the wrong forum.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

My Coffee's Cold, Go Figger
    I got a bonus out of nowhere this month too but it vanished 5-days later. I showed sales for 251 items, over a $2500 sale, items were shipped. I got a nice commission..nice bonus.. looked a week later to see if they paid me and it was gone and the report showed a reversal of 500 items with the amount due of .80 cents. I got screwed...

SSanf

My question was pretty direct:

"Did this ever happen to any BFast affiliates?"

Didn't ask for anyone's permission to keep it (assuming it's not mine to begin with)

I'm sure they'll find the mistake eventually (assuming there was a mistake) and I'll gladly send them a check.

But like I said, as of today I'm in the hole, so it looks like they're taking it out of next month's commissions

Also, the other reason I don't call is that when it comes to certain merchants, I want EVERYTHING in writing (for the same reasons you have your disclaimer tag line)

And for some merchants, not only do I require everything in writing, I also need proof the writting was successfully delivered (delivery confirmation)

CharlesA

Welcome to ABW

quote:
    I got a bonus out of nowhere this month too but it vanished 5-days later. I showed sales for 251 items, over a $2500 sale, items were shipped. I got a nice commission..nice bonus.. looked a week later to see if they paid me and it was gone and the report showed a reversal of 500 items with the amount due of .80 cents. I got screwed

Cool! I get to answer your question AND vent about my pet peave - UNRESPONSIVE MERCHANTS!

I contacted "Merchant A" on 7/19
    quote:
    Hi,

So far this month we sent 50 visitors, who placed 41 orders for total sales of $693.65

But our commission is only $50.

Last month was 71 orders, $1,216.50 in sales and only $93 in commissions.

I went to BeFree to see what % we get and I saw:

"Every time you refer a customer to us and that customer makes a purchase, you earn a commission of $1 per order of business cards."

Do affiliates NOT get paid on the magnets, invitations, graduation stuff etc that we've been promoting? Just business cards?

If someone orders $5000 worth of business cards, do we only get a buck?

Thanks,
    Billy

No response

I resend with delivery receipt a week later - no response.

I go to their website and contact the general support on 8/5. I get an autoresponder

quote:
    Thank you for contacting [deleted merchantname], the online solution for "Best Printing. Best Price."
    We have received your message and will respond to your inquiry as soon as possible. [deleted merchantname] processes email requests Monday through Friday 8:00 am through 6:00 pm EST.
    Your email request has been assigned case #609229.You do not need to respond to this email. However, if you need to update your inquiry or pass along other information, you may reply to this email in order to connect to your original request. Please make sure that the subject line remains the same, including the case #.

next day a human responds with the email address of the am (which was different than the one shown in BeFree)

I contact the new email - and get yet another autoresponder:

quote:
    Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting [deleted merchantname], the online solution for "Best Printing. Best Price."

We have received your inquiry about contacting Vista Print Affiliate Department.

You may also send an email to [deleted merchantname email address] and we will be happy to respond with more information about the Dealer Program.

We hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to contact us if you have additional questions.

Thank you for considering [deleted merchantname]. We strive to meet your printing needs

I gave up and decide to delete the merchant next update.

On 8/24 I check my logs and notice I made over $18,000 in one day for this merchant!! (Someone bought over half a million dollars of business cards!!) Yeah, that will happen!!

I post that here at

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...5107#548105107

then send an email to the merchant telling them about the obvious mistake and fully expecting an autoresponder.

THIS they answer!!!

quote:
    Hi Billy,
    Yeah, sorry to report that we are having an issue with reporting this
    week as BeFree is counting each individual card purchased as 1 order.
    250 Business Cards for Free is counting as 250 orders. We are working
    now with BeFree to get this resolved. Too bad I can't report that
    these numbers were accurate.
    Best Regards,
    Kristin

While it's the next month now, and BeFree is STILL showing they owe me $24,000, at least you know what the "disapearing items" are in your own report

Once again honesty doesn't pay but at least you can sleep at night.

Seriously I would hold onto the check until they get their bugs figured out. Maybe there was a telephoned order placed that they couldn't figure out how to enter into your stats correctly. Until you know for sure just hold on to it.

Billy Kay...

You should definitely return the money...however...
    You are entitled to compensation for your inconvenience..

You should do it the same way that my bank does it...
    Deduct the charges that are owed to you and return the rest...

$5.00 handling charge...
    $25.00 return check fee...
    $10.00 transfer fee...
    $15.00 new check fee for return transfer...
    $10.00 paper check fee -not using electronic transfer...
    $2.00 registered mail fee for returned check...

I’m sure that there are others... these are just the ones that I can remember...

The banks do it because it’s their business to get every buck they can...
    You’re a business man... so you should treat it like a business and get
    every honest buck you can... just like the big boys do...

After all... it wasn’t your mistake... take your compensation
    plus the applicable fees... attach an itemized bill... and return the rest...
    But... only when they finally ask for it...

Sounds fair to me....
    <Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

Yes, it's happened to me but not with a befree merchant.
    I contacted the merchant to alert them, they cancelled the cheque and just for good measure I forwarded the cancelled cheque back.
    I have a great relationship with the merchant now and I sleep well at night.

Now that's not to imply you have any intention of keeping the money or doing anything untoward.

I'd give them a call if I couldn't get an answer by email besides, judging by your bizarre stats it would probably be good to have a chat and find out what is going on or wrong.

Not to be argumentative, but your question was, "What Do You Do ....", as shown in the title of this thread. That is what I responded to.

This thread is hilarious! I needed this humor.

Catwoman

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread